PDA

View Full Version : help please: graphic card for Maya

matscam
04-29-2002, 12:35 PM
can some please help me with advice on getting a graphics card for Maya - or 3d in general. I am quite new at this
I just dont know what to choose and I dont really want to go for the most expensive card.
I have read all soft of posts that say ATI is better than NVidia, and vice versa.
I have no idea what to get, and could possibly someone at least point me in the right direction.

I dont want to buy something something incompatible , or just a waste of money.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

p.s also advice on other components would be nice too .e.g processor, dual or not, and such things.

Dragonius
04-29-2002, 01:17 PM
what's your budget?
is it a dedicated system?
What else do you use your system for?

i go for nvidia my self but answers to the above should narrow the field...

matscam
04-29-2002, 01:25 PM
I would really like to get a card for less than $600.

As well as maya I want to use it for image editing, but not much else, I want to limit the use of other applications on it if I can help it.

what do you mean by 'dedicated system'?

also are dual processors worth investing in, will Maya be ok with a single processor? and is a single AthlonXP 2100 sufficient? or is it best to get a P4 (but they are so much more expensive)

sorry, lots of question :)

Stahlberg
04-29-2002, 07:37 PM
'Dedicated' here means 'only meant to be used for that'.
Dual is always better than single if you can afford it.
Seems most techies prefer Athlons.
(I'm not much of a techie myself.) :)
Don't know too much about cards, check out the xboxx site (www.boxxtech.com) their system is the only dual Athlon system that has been certified for Maya.

matscam
04-29-2002, 07:53 PM
thanks for the reply,

I had a look at these machine before,
but I have no idea how much they cost
I have read good things about them though.

I've heard Athlons get really hot though, does that affect performance? I guess it is just a matter of a good cooler, but I dont know exactly.

I was actually thinking of putting my own machine together, my colleagues told me that it is a cheaper option.

Ivars
04-29-2002, 09:58 PM
Athlon XP has proven to be faster than P4 in several tests.
The heating problem is not a problem as long as the cooling system works. If the fan should stop. Your athlon most likely will burn and maybe even destroy your motherboard, when a P4 will will probably handle it alot better.

phatgroovn
04-29-2002, 10:01 PM
Athlons to run quite a bit hotter. As long as you are careful, though, it shouldnt be a problem. If Athlons are running too hot, they will continue to run and burn themselves out. P4's, on the other hand, will scale back the mhz automatically when dangerous temperatures are reached - which might make them a bit of a safer choice for a novice system builder. Athlon is cheaper, with a better price/performance ratio, just make sure you get a couple of awesome fans....

matscam
04-29-2002, 10:08 PM
ok, thanks for the advice, I will think over the benefits of each one I have now learnt and decide soon.
but my hardware supplier just told me that a lot of the Athlons he has sold have come back to be fixed.
Do you think he sounds like a bad supplier or are Athlons unreliable? it could of course be that the workstation is not put together so well, but who knows.

Also I am quite interested in what tests show Athlon out performing the Pentium? can I see them somewhere on the net?

phatgroovn
04-29-2002, 10:14 PM
www.tomshardware.com

The 2.4 ghz P4 beats everything, but the Athlon XPs are the best for price/performance.

Stahlberg
04-30-2002, 08:17 AM
XBOXX price example:
Dual AMD Athlon® processors
AMD-760™ MP chipset
3GB 266MHz DDR
4X AGP Pro 50 graphics port
NVIDIA Quadro4 900 XGL
Onboard ATI Rage™ 4MB PCI graphics for second monitor
Dual-channel UltraDMA 100 IDE controller
80 GB 7500rpm hard disk
4700 USD (plus tax)

It's got 3 fans, and 3 years warranty, so I won't worry too much about the chips burning up. The hard disk is kinda slow but if I don't start disk-swapping when rendering that won't matter, and with 3 GB RAM I should be able to avoid that.

phatgroovn
04-30-2002, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Stahlberg
XBOXX price example:
Dual AMD Athlon® processors
AMD-760™ MP chipset
3GB 266MHz DDR
4X AGP Pro 50 graphics port
NVIDIA Quadro4 900 XGL
Onboard ATI Rage™ 4MB PCI graphics for second monitor
Dual-channel UltraDMA 100 IDE controller
80 GB 7500rpm hard disk
4700 USD (plus tax)

:drool:

I am looking that same Boxx, but i think i am going to wait until later in summer. Do you have it yet? Let me know how you like it... Oh yeah, love the presidential candidate guy you posted!

ilasolomon
05-02-2002, 05:12 AM
if you are a 3d artist...you must buy ..:

ATHLON XP/MP (MP for dual) + GOOD COOLING SYSTEM (6k rpm's OK)
DDR/fast SDRAM RAMs, 1GB atleast
nVIDIA GFORCE/QUADRO family cards
SCSI RAID HARD DRIVEs or FASTEST IDEs available

dmcgrath
05-02-2002, 09:40 AM
You don't need to have the BEST system available. I'm running just fine on a P3system/ 933mhz.
Unless you are going pro. Save some money. Unless, you are
:eek: :eek:
RICH
If you are, can I be your Friend?
:D

matscam
05-02-2002, 11:58 AM
well I was plannig to buy an Athlon XP, I think perhaps dual MPs are out of my price range right now.

Gforce card is also my choice, although I would like to get a Quadro instead, however also quite a lot more expensive than the Gforce range.

for a start I will get 1gb of RAM and then see where that takes me.

Also IDE drive is my choice, I have limited access to SCSI drives anyway, and I can't justify spending that amount of money unless I start making a return on my investment, then I will up the RAM and get a SCSI drive.

Since I am not so rich, does that mean no-one is my friend :)

dmcgrath
05-03-2002, 01:33 AM
I'll be your friend still. Now that we're friends...
Can I borrow five bucks?

matscam
05-03-2002, 01:37 AM
yes friend, when I win the lottery i have just entered :)

dmcgrath
05-04-2002, 02:05 AM
he he, now we are just wasting posting space.:shame:

romz
05-04-2002, 03:55 AM
Well now matter what, 3D labs graphic cards are always a safe bet. But I would really look into Nvidia's XGL cards. They look sweet, remember, you can always return it.

romz

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.