PDA

View Full Version : Help! Can I update the model without rigging it again?

UKing
11-06-2008, 06:30 AM
Hello guys. I am doing something with 2 guys now. Just after finishing my rigging, my partner told me that he has change the model a little bit. Because of knowing this situation usually happens, I wonder how I can update the model without rigging it again. I may see similar function of maya in its ADs, but not know exactly what it is and how to use it. Please somebody to help me. Thanks.

SandeepMaithani
11-08-2008, 04:51 AM
if u r on max, make a morph target for the new shape(what ur partner wants) u r looking for..load it in the morpher(the model which u want to correct after rigging) at 100%

i think it shud be easy doing in maya too..

cheers
sandeep maithani

stewartjones
11-08-2008, 05:18 AM
Same thing for maya, it's just a blendshape!

However, if it's a bigger model change, as in the vertex numbering of the model has changed then you will have to look at skin weight transfers etc.

UKing
11-08-2008, 10:55 AM
Thanks for your help. By the way I use maya, and my partner just chanced the model a little bit and assigned it some material.

uiron
11-10-2008, 08:14 AM
if model didn't change much, you can simply bind new model to same bones as your old model and then use "skin"->"edit smooth skin"->"copy skin weights" tool. it will transfer skin weights from your old model to your new model, job done.

Keithtron
11-21-2008, 05:08 PM
The Comet save/load skin weights script is a life saver for this stuff. It allows you to save out per-vertex skin weights that aren't based on a texture map, and thus don't require UV's. Just save out your skin weights, delete the geo, import and smooth bind the new geo, and import the saved weights. This script allows you to import the weights either by vertex number or world position, whichever is more helpful for ya. The Comet library contains lots of other useful scripts too, so check it out!
:)

ubermensch76
11-22-2008, 07:33 AM
Not sure what version u are using but as of Maya 2008 I think u can replace a skinned mesh with another . Choose Skin>Edit smooth skin>Substitute geometry.

CGTalk Moderation
11-22-2008, 07:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.