PDA

View Full Version : Frequently Asked Questions

Pages : [1] 2 3

salmonmoose
11-06-2008, 05:43 AM
For questions/answers on the Challenge, please post here...

1. Please read the instructions before posting here.

2. Please help us to answer questions. If you see a question already answered, please refer the person to that answer so that we don't keep repeating ourselves.

Challenge-Specific

Q: Do I have to base my entry on a traditional Myth or Legend.

A: Yes -- here are a list of links for your reference:

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Mythology_%28Bookshelf%29
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Folklore_%28Bookshelf%29
http://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1249132
http://trumpy.cs.elon.edu/metaverse...bliography.html (http://trumpy.cs.elon.edu/metaverse/steampunk/bibliography.html)
http://www.mythweb.com/
http://www.pantheon.org/areas/mythology/
http://www.themystica.com/mythical-...nfo/topics.html (http://www.themystica.com/mythical-folk/info/topics.html)
http://www.mythencyclopedia.com/index.html

Q: Please can I use a modern or current Myth?

A: No entrant should use a likeness of any living person or base their story on any modern material as this would constitute a violation of rights unless you have gained written permission to do so.

To avoid any potential problems all entrants should base their works on public domain Myths and Legends -- all of the traditional Myths and Legends we know of are in the public domain.

Q: Do I need a paid CGSociety membership?

A: Not at all! Our CGChallenges are open to all CGTalkers. If you don't already have a free account, get one here (http://www.cgsociety.org/join/).
Q: How early do I have to start submitting milestones?

A: As early as possible. Although there is no due date earlier than the final closing date, part of the final judging vote puts emphasis on Community Interaction, which means that people who 'hold back' their work in progress till the last minute can be penalized.

Q: Can we work in teams? What about pairs?

A: Yes, teams can submit to the video category. See also the Looking For Group (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=236&t=609378) thread.

Q: I'm using a new email but the challenge keeps sending stuff to my old one. How do I fix that?

A: You go into CGTalk's UserCP (User Control Panel) and change your email address there. If you still have problems, email me.

Q: What if I am a winner and I want a different prize? E.g. What if I win the Grand Prize but I want the Runner Up prize instead?

A: You can contact the other winner with the prize that you want, and ask if they want to do an exchange. What you guys do with your prizes is up to you, and we're not going to be involved in it.

Q: How do I actually enter the competition?

A: Go to the challenge site and click on "Enter The Challenge". Upload your pictures through the challenge site submission ("Submit Your Entry") or the CGChallenge Uploader.

Q: How I can get out of this challenge?

A: Just stop submitting.

Q: Can I have multiple entries?

A: Not in a single category. As stated in the guidelines, no multiple entries although it's possible to enter multiple categories.

Q: Can I upload my WIP images to my own server? Is that counted?

A: No. Please use the Challenge site facility to upload your Work-In-Progress. It allows us to track the entries properly, and guarantee continued hosting of all images.

Technical

Q: Are random or parametric terrain and foliage/plant generation software (Bryce/Vue/Terragen) allowed?

A: Yes

Q: Can I use Poser, Daz 3D or pre-fabricated models?

A: Yes. This is no different from using your own pre-built models or the parametric models now availble in most 3D systems. However you should add significant creative input to make the models and results unique?

Q: Can I use a trial version of a software?

A: Yes. We don't care. The final image must not have watermarks on it.

Q: The guidelines in the instructions says that the resolution for the final image should be at least 2657 pixels wide and/or 3636 high, 300 DPI (portrait). Why do you need such a high resolution for?

A: We want to train people to create artwork for print - suddenly detailed textures and meshes are important in the creation of your art! We also like encouraging people to submit their art for Ballistic Publishing books, like EXPOSÉ.

Q: What resolution do you want the final image to be exactly? What about if we make the image a different aspect ratio and orientation?

A: That's cool, just make it big enough to fill a full page in an A4-sized book. Or make it bigger, even!

Q: Because of hardware limitations, is it ok to render a part and use it as a background, or render in "layers" and composite it all together later?

A: Yes. This is how professionals work -- you should use every tool and technique availble in the best way possible.

Q: Any problems if I do it with a student license of Maya?

A: If it is watermarked then yes. Otherwise, no.

Q: Is it ok to use vray, RenderMan or 3rd party renderers for rendering?

A: Yes -- you are free to use any software you like.

Q: While I know its ok to use 2D textures in this 3D project....is it going to be ok to use a 2D element as a back drop? Like a background....like a matte painting?

A: Yes. You should always use every tool that is apropriate in the best way possible.

Q: Are we allowed to use web downloaded textures?

A: Yes, but you must credit everything you use. Anyone caught not crediting material, contributors or inspirational works will be disqualified.

MrHobby
11-11-2008, 05:57 AM
SWEET!!

But before all this gets started i need some tech help with the CGUploader.
I posted a request in the portfolio support forum but noone has answered it yet.
The post is located here: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=193&t=693416
I really would like to start useing the uploader for my work and espeacially for this challenge.

Thank you

Falcorr
11-11-2008, 06:51 AM
Hi i want to know is the video challenge open for any styles? Also 2D art and just basic effect editors? With the needed steampunk art??

Can i draw 2D art and just create basic effects over it and set it as a video entry?

andreas-V
11-11-2008, 07:12 AM
Is Softimage offering a XSI licence for the Challenge?
The e-mail notification after entering the challenge included a link, but it is the one for the Uplift challenge, the licence is no longer valid.

THanks

MrHobby
11-11-2008, 07:32 AM
Does the entry have to be an actual steampunk story (myth, legend) or can we make up our own ancient story of something steampunk?

Basicaly are we restricted to actual known myths/legends?

ciff
11-11-2008, 09:31 AM
Does the entry have to be an actual steampunk story (myth, legend) or can we make up our own ancient story of something steampunk?

Thats's something i want to know also, would love to work on my own steam punk myth / legend idea if possible.

adib
11-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Hi, nice CHALLENGE!
One Question: can I use one of my old models in this challenge or I mus do all new ones?

maxon
11-11-2008, 09:59 AM
Question:

If I enter into the Individual Video challenge, can I still use music from my friend for the video?

SulaMoon
11-11-2008, 10:16 AM
Sweeet challenge!

But with all this talk about 3-D, is there a 2D category still? Is it the image category?

FrozZT
11-11-2008, 11:16 AM

I'm also interested in hearing about this. In my oppinion this would kill alot of creativity if we need to find a story that already exists. I think many of us are interested in creating our own original stories. The theme steampunk already restricts the style/genre, which i think is ok even for a sensitive guy like me :P, but ristricting the story will make for a big loss i think.

I would choke and loose inspiration if i need to do something based solid on something not my own. Yea i could do it at work, but this is my freetime and my personal work, huge difference.

Woot for a new challenge anyway! :)

Hope to hear some releaving answer to this..

-Niklas

Grrrrrrr
11-11-2008, 01:35 PM
I also wanna hear about this. And we can use ANY legend, because this seems vary vague? First thing that comes to thought are the greek legends, but i guess we are not limited to those.

So a bit of clarification is needed.

IdanI
11-11-2008, 03:12 PM
I love the theme its awesome, i just have one question, can we make our entry based on Historic context rathar than a myth? What I mean is portray a historic war as a steampunk war but still keep some of the historic story board.

MrHobby
11-11-2008, 05:15 PM

I also have this question:
I'm entered in both categories and for the video category what are the exact stipulations?
Meaning in the uplift challenge the video section was a trailer theme.
The strange behavior challenge before that was a 8-10 sec animation (i i'm remembering correctly). So what are the, if any, boundries of the video entry?
Or can it be any stlye of animation, trailer or simple animation, involving a steampunk theme?

xeni
11-11-2008, 07:21 PM
Hi my name si Shkelzen Kernaja and i am 17 years old i like to enter for the challenger is it ok for me to enter for the callenger because i 10 january 2009 i am going to be 18, i will be happy to enter for the challenger. Many thanks.

shkelzen kernaja

alboghardau
11-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Hi all. Guys i have the same problem , i want to participate and im 17 years old , can i participate ?

salmonmoose
11-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Hi i want to know is the video challenge open for any styles? Also 2D art and just basic effect editors? With the needed steampunk art??

Can i draw 2D art and just create basic effects over it and set it as a video entry?

Yes, video is open to any styles - I'd love to see some 2D animations show up :)

salmonmoose
11-11-2008, 10:40 PM
Is Softimage offering a XSI licence for the Challenge?
The e-mail notification after entering the challenge included a link, but it is the one for the Uplift challenge, the licence is no longer valid.

THanks

Urgh - no, sorry, no XSI this time around I'll fix the emails.

salmonmoose
11-11-2008, 10:47 PM

[edit by leigh]

Sorry guys but there was a bit of confusion here, so this edit is going to contradict what was previously posted by Anton.

Yes, you are restricted to actual known mythology and legends. However, this isn't really such a heinous restriction, considering the vast wealth of mythology we have to draw from, from all over the world.

You're even free to mix different mythologies. So, for example, you could have the Greek god Zeus battling the Aztec god Quetzalcoatl, or Norse Thor enjoying pints of mead with Roman Liber. Feel free to mix and match different traditions to create your own new epic imagery.

The fun lies in taking what are essentially quite ancient stories and creating cool, anachronistic imagery of these ancient figures in the more modern Steampunk milieu.

Sorry for any previous confusion and I hope this clarifies the matter.

salmonmoose
11-11-2008, 10:48 PM
Question:

If I enter into the Individual Video challenge, can I still use music from my friend for the video?

As long as they are credited yes.

Team entries refer to people making visual elements for videos.

salmonmoose
11-11-2008, 10:56 PM
I love the theme its awesome, i just have one question, can we make our entry based on Historic context rathar than a myth? What I mean is portray a historic war as a steampunk war but still keep some of the historic story board.

That's fine, I would deem a historic war as a "legend" of sorts.

I'd like to use this to remind people of our "no politics, no religion" rule. I understand that this challenge leads to many stories that are based on historical, and religious events, and that is OK - but any entries that could be deemed offensive by others won't be allowed. If you're unsure - it's probably best not to :)

salmonmoose
11-11-2008, 10:58 PM
Sweeet challenge!

But with all this talk about 3-D, is there a 2D category still? Is it the image category?

There is no longer a 3D or 2D challenge, both Video and Still image are available to both.

salmonmoose
11-11-2008, 11:08 PM
I also have this question:
I'm entered in both categories and for the video category what are the exact stipulations?
Meaning in the uplift challenge the video section was a trailer theme.
The strange behavior challenge before that was a 8-10 sec animation (i i'm remembering correctly). So what are the, if any, boundries of the video entry?
Or can it be any stlye of animation, trailer or simple animation, involving a steampunk theme?

So long as it matches the theme, we don't care.

We usually suggest a shorter animation because we're aware that if a project is too ambitious, it will never get completed. Aim for 90-180 seconds, but if you can get your message across in 15, or need 5 minutes, you won't be penalized.

salmonmoose
11-11-2008, 11:09 PM
I also wanna hear about this. And we can use ANY legend, because this seems vary vague? First thing that comes to thought are the greek legends, but i guess we are not limited to those.

So a bit of clarification is needed.

ANY myth or legend.

On a personal note, if you introduce me to a cool classic story I've not heard before, I'm going to be impressed ;)

salmonmoose
11-11-2008, 11:18 PM
Hi, nice CHALLENGE!
One Question: can I use one of my old models in this challenge or I mus do all new ones?

From the FAQ:

Q: Can I use Poser, Daz 3D or pre-fabricated models?

A: Yes. This is no different from using your own pre-built models or the parametric models now availble in most 3D systems. However you should add significant creative input to make the models and results unique?

We also allow your own pre-built models, however you should probably let people know where the models came from originally :)

Cartesius
11-11-2008, 11:41 PM
Just a quick question: on the Inspiration page you have text snippets of fictional stories involving Charles Babbage and Sherlock Holmes. Does that mean that we can find inspiration and themes from literature as well? I mean Sherlock Holmes is strictly speaking neither a myth nor a legend but a fictional character (and Charles Babbage was a very real historical person).

/Anders

tofel
11-11-2008, 11:53 PM
I have a question: on the character - can i use a mechanic with human issue on MashineFlash style?

MrHobby
11-12-2008, 01:33 AM
So long as it matches the theme, we don't care.

We usually suggest a shorter animation because we're aware that if a project is too ambitious, it will never get completed. Aim for 90-180 seconds, but if you can get your message across in 15, or need 5 minutes, you won't be penalized.

Thank you for replying to both questions.
Let the creativity begin!!

Peace Love & Light

ahmedadel0077
11-12-2008, 02:31 AM
hi there , i am from Egypt , and i wanted to know ,
do u send prizes to Egypt ??

salmonmoose
11-12-2008, 05:54 AM
Just a quick question: on the Inspiration page you have text snippets of fictional stories involving Charles Babbage and Sherlock Holmes. Does that mean that we can find inspiration and themes from literature as well? I mean Sherlock Holmes is strictly speaking neither a myth nor a legend but a fictional character (and Charles Babbage was a very real historical person).

/Anders

Absolutely - see my earlier post. The overall idea behind the 'myths and legends' was to move it away from the typical steampunk setting, and time-period.

salmonmoose
11-12-2008, 06:00 AM
hi there , i am from Egypt , and i wanted to know ,
do u send prizes to Egypt ??

We don't ship prizes anywhere - that is the responsibility of the sponsors. If they are unable to ship to you, it may be possible for you to find a third party to ship prizes to who can forward your prizes to you.

Also, keep in mind from the rules:

Any import taxes or duties on prizes must be paid by the prize winner. It is illegal for Ballistic Media or any of the sponsors to pay duties and taxes on behalf of a winner. Ballistic Media and sponsors will not make false valuation claims to assist winners from evading any applicable duties and taxes.

salmonmoose
11-12-2008, 06:01 AM
I have a question: on the character - can i use a mechanic with human issue on MashineFlash style?

yes.

*you'd think as an admin, I could bypass the 10 char limit*

Kinanh
11-12-2008, 07:32 AM
Hello ...

Quick Question

Can I Share My W.I.P In Another WebSite.........

fgdf
11-12-2008, 09:59 AM
http://www.victorianweb.org/art/architecture/index.html

very useful link to you !!

monsitj
11-12-2008, 10:03 AM
I have problem, I can't see any entry in " view all entry page"
or I have to look somewhere else?
I use firefox 3

authentic
11-12-2008, 10:09 AM
I was posting for the same reason. Doesnt seem the view entries works (hi monsijt ;) )

adib
11-12-2008, 11:08 AM
I just invite a fried to join in my team and when he want to aswere on the mail gets an FATAL ERROR! Why is that? The user name is CostiB.

Thanks.

Cartesius
11-12-2008, 11:20 AM
Absolutely - see my earlier post. The overall idea behind the 'myths and legends' was to move it away from the typical steampunk setting, and time-period.

Thanks, this really opens up the possibilities!

/Anders

alboghardau
11-12-2008, 01:52 PM
Im very sorry for this spam , but no one answered my question. So is there a problem if i-m not 18 years old ? Thank you very much ! I really want to participate at this one.

salmonmoose
11-12-2008, 07:54 PM
Im very sorry for this spam , but no one answered my question. So is there a problem if i-m not 18 years old ? Thank you very much ! I really want to participate at this one.

Sorry I was waiting for a response from someone else. I don't see an immediate problem with you entering if you are under 18.

luima
11-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Can we make orgiginal artwork based on existing characters (fan art?) for example a steampunk version of predator? thank you

seili
11-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Quick question: I thought I saw in the sign-up rules somewhere that all the profile info had to be filled in in order to enter? I don't have my address or anything overly personal besides my name currently filled in on my profile, is that something I need to do? Just a little confused.

dboydesign
11-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Hi!

We are a team on three.

dboydesign
dCepT
Skullsong

I have invited, but they having problems with accepting.
When they press the link they are getting the following error
Not Found
The requested document was not found on this server.

Web Server at cgnetworks.com

What are we doing wrong?
Cause they others dosent need to have there own thread.
Woud be great if someone helped us out. Dont want anything to be wrong :)

JRBRAZ
11-13-2008, 12:33 AM
I´m entering in the individual animation, and I planning to produce a short animation movie. Can I ask for a Screenwritter help me with the history, and credited him in the movie?

zandy
11-13-2008, 06:58 AM
Hi guys,

I have to ask one stupid thing :(.
How can we make any image as our thread's thumbnail?
I have added to images but its not showing the thumbnail.

thanks!

cabaal
11-13-2008, 07:20 AM
I have a problem with the team manager.

The membership when add on the team manager receive correctly a e-mail but when they click on the link to accept they receive a 404 error.

Thanks for you help

Falcorr
11-13-2008, 07:36 AM
• 30 second version of trailer for initial judging. Followed by a maximum of 90 sec making of material, followed by full length Video.

What does that really mean? Do i need to create 3 separate video clips or do i need to create one full clip where all these parts have been combined?

What is the maximum lenght of the full clip?

Also do have to change my nick so that CGSociety personal video gallery works. Because it doesnt allow lines in the username. Falcor_ needed to be changed to Falcor ? ??

alboghardau
11-13-2008, 08:36 AM
Thanks you very much for the answer , ill start the work at this.

EoinCannon
11-13-2008, 09:21 AM
*EDIT* Nevermind. I'm an idiot

Madail
11-13-2008, 01:31 PM
Hi there,

I know that making religious artwork or referencing to it may not be the best approach to the contest, but i'd like to know something.

If i go on and make an image depicting the resurrection of christ or maybe the creation of adam and eve, and depict them as robots or something like that, would that be offensive somehow? I believe it can be to some people, but wouldn't it be the same as depicting some ancient greek/roman/asian god in any similar situation?? I don't think it should be any different, but somehow i feel that having any sort of religious "feel" to the image is a big no-no. I don't think depicting something like what i said is offensive anyway, so please, i'd like to know your opinion.

Thanks!

MechaHateChimp
11-13-2008, 03:01 PM
I have a question:

I have a piece of concept art that I made for a previous challenge that I never developed but I think would work great as a 3D image for this challenge, can I still use this or is that considered a no-no?

Legacy40k
11-13-2008, 04:37 PM
Are Fairly Tales considered Myths/Legends? I supose it depens on how you interperate it.

There are already a couple people basing their ideas off of fairy tale stories such as the "Wizard of Oz" and "Pinnochio". Are they suitable? and thus tales such as "Red Riding Hood" or the "Three Little Pigs" could also be sources for inspiration.

heavenson
11-13-2008, 04:48 PM
hi

Ihave some stupid question I,m new here.How to put thumbnail in the front of my thread.

thanks guy

xeni
11-13-2008, 06:18 PM
Hi my name si Shkelzen Kernaja and i am 17 years old i like to enter for the challenger is it ok for me to enter for the callenger because i 10 january 2009 i am going to be 18, i will be happy to enter for the challenger. Many thanks.

shkelzen kernaja

Legacy40k
11-13-2008, 06:51 PM
hi

Ihave some stupid question I,m new here.How to put thumbnail in the front of my thread.

thanks guy

It will add it automatically when you upload an image via the image uploaded available here.

http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/steampunk/submit_entry.php

BookMansBlues
11-13-2008, 07:29 PM
I just invite a fried to join in my team and when he want to aswere on the mail gets an FATAL ERROR! Why is that? The user name is CostiB.

Thanks.

Hi!

We are a team on three.

dboydesign
dCepT
Skullsong

I have invited, but they having problems with accepting.
When they press the link they are getting the following error
Not Found
The requested document was not found on this server.

Web Server at cgnetworks.com

What are we doing wrong?
Cause they others dosent need to have there own thread.
Woud be great if someone helped us out. Dont want anything to be wrong :)

I'm quoting this, because my people are having the same issue.

thanks for any help.

Selina42
11-13-2008, 08:01 PM
Hiya! Just wondering about a couple of things - do you mean 'steampunk' to describe only the typically used Victorian period visual style - or could a more 1940s steampunk visual style be adopted for example?

Could we use stories from films and modern day literature as well as our own stories, fairy tales and legends?

If someone has already picked a story that we want to use, but we have a totally different concept from that story is that acceptable and not considered copying?

Thank you!

krpolak
11-13-2008, 09:09 PM
Can we have, posibly at the firt page of or rules page, clearly stated DEADLINE. It was big issue last time, many people missed becasue of lack information, so lets not make this mistake again. I tried to find it, sctolled through most pages and sorry I cannot see it. Surelly its somewhere, but not stated clearly enough at the moment.

Regards,

K.Polak

admkrk
11-13-2008, 09:22 PM
Can we have, posibly at the firt page of or rules page, clearly stated DEADLINE. It was big issue last time, many people missed becasue of lack information, so lets not make this mistake again. I tried to find it, sctolled through most pages and sorry I cannot see it. Surelly its somewhere, but not stated clearly enough at the moment.

Regards,

K.Polak

it's on the instructions page, in blue text.
Duration of the Challenge.
http://features.cgsociety.org/images/spacer.gif
Commencement Monday 10th November.

Both Image and Video categories will commence at the same time but they will run for different periods of time:

• The Image category will run for 8 weeks. Finishing on 12 January 2009.
• The Video categories will run for 12 weeks. Finishing on 03 February 2009.

The awards will be judged at the close of each main category.

salmonmoose
11-14-2008, 01:17 AM
Hi there,

I know that making religious artwork or referencing to it may not be the best approach to the contest, but i'd like to know something.

If i go on and make an image depicting the resurrection of christ or maybe the creation of adam and eve, and depict them as robots or something like that, would that be offensive somehow? I believe it can be to some people, but wouldn't it be the same as depicting some ancient greek/roman/asian god in any similar situation?? I don't think it should be any different, but somehow i feel that having any sort of religious "feel" to the image is a big no-no. I don't think depicting something like what i said is offensive anyway, so please, i'd like to know your opinion.

Thanks!

It's a tough one - my current suggestion is if you're unsure, it's probably best to steer clear. It's a little different with the pantheonic deities, as there aren't large groups still worshiping them.

salmonmoose
11-14-2008, 01:19 AM

These times are in UTC also.

Simple solution - be prepared, don't leave things to the last minute, try and be finished perhaps a week early so if you DO have troubles, you're not forced to try and push the deadline.

salmonmoose
11-14-2008, 01:25 AM
Hiya! Just wondering about a couple of things - do you mean 'steampunk' to describe only the typically used Victorian period visual style - or could a more 1940s steampunk visual style be adopted for example?

Could we use stories from films and modern day literature as well as our own stories, fairy tales and legends?

If someone has already picked a story that we want to use, but we have a totally different concept from that story is that acceptable and not considered copying?

Thank you!

Steam really wasn't in use much by the 1940's - I'm guessing you're talking more of a Fallout/Bioshock type setting which whilst rather cool, is stretching it a little too much I feel.

I'm personally fairly flexible with what constitutes a myth or a legend - but I'd suggest that it has to be at least a story that is part of a particular culture's psyche - so things like Alice in Wonderland, or Wizard of Oz are ok, but maybe The Matrix is not such a good idea.

There is no problem with more than one person choosing the same concept, just don't pinch their ideas.

AdamTSC
11-14-2008, 01:38 AM
(Hopefully quick) question:

-Are there any constraints on the use of photographic elements in our works? (I am thinking particularly as regards matte-paintings)

-If we are allowed, will it have an negative effect on judging?

I'm not talking about passing off photographic elements as painted or rendered, but use where we explicitly show it.

Thanks!
-A

bonestructure
11-14-2008, 03:55 AM
I've never entered a challenge before, but I feel I want to enter this one. My big handicap is that the rules say I have to enter a sketch or previz. But the thing is, I never do sketches or previz. Can I just do the WIP stuff? I'm not fond of doing that, but I can do it. I just don't do sketches. Things come together as I go from a concept in my head, but the modeling and scene determine what goes in.

cabaal
11-14-2008, 06:17 AM
Somebody find a solution about the team manager ?

dboydesign
11-14-2008, 09:18 AM
cabaal: Somebody find a solution about the team manager ?

I havent heard a thing yet about the team manager..
So if anyone got this working please tell us :)

ahmedadel0077
11-14-2008, 09:25 AM
hi , i have a question about the video challenge , i am going to make all the cg work by myself , but a friend of mine might do the sound for the trailer , does this mean that my entry will be judged as a team work ?? or still single work , since i did all the cg alone , thanks

Legacy40k
11-14-2008, 11:05 AM
I I've never entered a challenge before, but I feel I want to enter this one. My big handicap is that the rules say I have to enter a sketch or previz. But the thing is, I never do sketches or previz. Can I just do the WIP stuff? I'm not fond of doing that, but I can do it. I just don't do sketches. Things come together as I go from a concept in my head, but the modeling and scene determine what goes in.

I believe that showing WIP shots of what you are working on as you go along is suitable since I'm sure many 3D modelers don't sketch out their works in 2D first.

authentic
11-14-2008, 12:27 PM
the view entries now works but when you click on a picture in the challenge page of somebody you have a 404 not found error

Legacy40k
11-14-2008, 01:02 PM
hi , i have a question about the video challenge , i am going to make all the cg work by myself , but a friend of mine might do the sound for the trailer , does this mean that my entry will be judged as a team work ?? or still single work , since i did all the cg alone , thanks

My personal thoughts on this.

If you use music of his that isn't remixed for your trailer or was created for the trailer, then he would be a group contributer. Also, if he does the mixing of the audio tracks for the trailer, he would be a contributer.

If you have a friend that has a band with a CD and they give you permission to use one of the CD tracks for your trailer and you did any final audio mixing. Then I would say that no, you would not have to count it as a group, but you should give them credit.

That's just my thoughts on it however.

JurajMolcak
11-14-2008, 01:18 PM
My personal thoughts on this.

If you use music of his that isn't remixed for your trailer or was created for the trailer, then he would be a group contributer. Also, if he does the mixing of the audio tracks for the trailer, he would be a contributer.

If you have a friend that has a band with a CD and they give you permission to use one of the CD tracks for your trailer and you did any final audio mixing. Then I would say that no, you would not have to count it as a group, but you should give them credit.

That's just my thoughts on it however.

Something like this was answered already...

It is clear, since I can have friend who is mixing the sfx and music to produce some interesting tracks, and somehow, one of his tracks is perfectly working with my video :D Yeah, a bit speculative...

ahmedadel0077
11-14-2008, 01:19 PM
i had a look at Grzegorz Jonkajtys video , the alien relationship challenge winner , and i saw the credits , it says

created by : Grzegorz Jonkajtys
music by : Adam Skorupa

so from that i think , the sound doesn't count , still need a final answer from the admins , so please give me feedback , and thanks

JurajMolcak
11-14-2008, 01:33 PM
Hi,

Any chance we can manage our Challenge Page? I had to post double of my most recent wip because of typo mistake and would like to delete the previous one. Just to make it not confusing for future viewers. Thanks.

JTD
11-14-2008, 01:38 PM
Myths and legends, yeah, but can we use fables? I have this great idea for The Tortoise and the Hare, with a twist!

Edit: "I'm personally fairly flexible with what constitutes a myth or a legend - but I'd suggest that it has to be at least a story that is part of a particular culture's psyche - so things like Alice in Wonderland, or Wizard of Oz are ok, but maybe The Matrix is not such a good idea." - salmonmoose

Okay, so I might be borderline but definitely worth a shot.

DragonSFX
11-14-2008, 01:38 PM
i had a look at Grzegorz Jonkajtys video , the alien relationship challenge winner , and i saw the credits , it says

created by : Grzegorz Jonkajtys
music by : Adam Skorupa

so from that i think , the sound doesn't count , still need a final answer from the admins , so please give me feedback , and thanks

this was answered on page 2 and about 2 or 3 post above this one again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxon
Question:

<salmonmoose said>

As long as they are credited yes.

---- enjoy L

CodeNothing
11-14-2008, 06:00 PM
quick question.

probably a silly one at that sense this is a CG forum. But I saw you have a category for "Modeling" and a category for "Sculpture" which if were talking strictly digital art sounds redundant....

Is it possible to enter an image of a traditional sculpture as a character piece?

I'm guessing not, but i have a friend who would probably compete if that was the case. Actualy.... now that i think about it, would it be possible to use a photo of a traditional sculpture, and incorperate it into a CG environment/matte background and have that count as a 2D entery?

Thanks!

brigidashwood
11-14-2008, 08:20 PM
A little OT but gosh thanks for including two of my pieces on the Inspiration page for this challenge. I wondered why my web traffic had surged 500% one day. Awesome! Now to brainstorm ideas for this challenge.... hmmmm *wanders off scratching head*

Legacy40k
11-14-2008, 09:09 PM
quick question.

I'm guessing not, but i have a friend who would probably compete if that was the case. Actualy.... now that i think about it, would it be possible to use a photo of a traditional sculpture, and incorperate it into a CG environment/matte background and have that count as a 2D entery?

Thanks!

I had a friend ask the same thing.. I told him when they wrote sculpture.. I was pretty sure they meant a 3d digital model.. not a physical sculpture.

As for making one and putting it into an environment.. I don't see why you couldnt, but it might be hard to make it look like it belongs in the image.

mxdirector
11-14-2008, 09:18 PM
i assume we can do this, but i just want to check.
we can do a steam punk wolverine, or mulder and skully? it doesnt have to be from old stories.
so my question is, can we base it on any story?

Addii
11-14-2008, 10:55 PM
i assume we can do this, but i just want to check.
we can do a steam punk wolverine, or mulder and skully? it doesnt have to be from old stories.
so my question is, can we base it on any story?

I was wondering about this too (only a DC character). I'd imagine there could be issues with it if you wanted to win.. Ballistic probably want to print the final piece... copyright stuff (although its fan art...)

Still looking for examples of Steampunk :S
Next time lets have Biopunk, kk ^.^;

ggkoncepts
11-15-2008, 04:38 AM
please help me out. I'm uploading my entry for the milestone it seen that it's not working. I just waited like 30 minutes trying to upload a 105 kb file. What can I do? please help.

ggkoncepts
11-15-2008, 04:48 AM
please guys help me out I can't upload my files I'm using a macbook pro and I'm trying to upload 120kb jpg file. I just waited like 30 minutes and nothing. What can I don? or what am I doing wrong?

Whyst
11-15-2008, 05:40 AM
Hi everyone! Super excited for this challenge! =) I have a quick question similar to what other people have been asking in regards to what subject matter is allowed... if I wanted to do my entry based on a video game world, would that be allowed, as long as a story is being told in the image and everything fits the steampunk theme?

Amirgdx5
11-15-2008, 07:25 AM
a TIFF format picture for final image!! but where do i upload my ZIP file??? it`s too big for the normal uploader!?? :( . i know we still got time but a more iturduction on the final image prosses well be appreciated.thanX

Bittler
11-15-2008, 09:04 AM
Hi, i started my illustration with Noé ARK theme , yes it's a story in holy bible but i not
drawing a religious représentation ( cross or more things ) I like the simply scenery of this story ...but i want to know if i'm in a badway...
sorry for my english :-/

FaresLM
11-15-2008, 09:54 AM
hi _
i can't access to participate & i'm new here (i've only 7 posts rightnow),, is that the problem?
FaresLM, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

MarkSnoswell
11-15-2008, 11:49 AM
There has been some confusion over the theme. You can not dream up anything you like. The challenge is to take a traditional Myth or Legend and re-create it in the Steampunk Style.

Here are the web references to Myths and Legends from the Challenge Inspiration page.

» Steampunk Myths & Legends Reference:
http://trumpy.cs.elon.edu/metaverse/steampunk/bibliography.html
http://www.themystica.com/mythical-folk/info/topics.html
http://www.instructables.com/group/steampunk/

mxdirector
11-15-2008, 12:16 PM
There has been some confusion over the theme. You can not dream up anything you like. The challenge is to take a traditional Myth or Legend and re-create it in the Steampunk Style.

Here are the web references to Myths and Legends from the Challenge Inspiration page.

» Steampunk Myths & Legends Reference:
http://trumpy.cs.elon.edu/metaverse/steampunk/bibliography.html
http://www.themystica.com/mythical-folk/info/topics.html
http://www.instructables.com/group/steampunk/may i recommend that this is said in, either the feature page of the steam punk challenge, or in the first page of this topic.
to me a myth, is anything, and i was confident that we could do any myth (x-men) and clearly i was wrong. the concept of a steampunk donnie darko is alot more exciting to me, then thor with a steam powered hat.

so to avoid further confusion, maybe this fact should be mentioned
"entries may not be based off of copy writed material"
or something along those lines.

MarkSnoswell
11-15-2008, 12:27 PM
may i recommend that this is said in, either the feature page of the steam punk challenge, or in the first page of this topic....

You are completely correct and we should have pointed out this more strongly. We do stipulate that all posted work be original and that all referenced material must be credited and only used with the original copyright holders permission. Anyone who bases an entry on currently trademarked material or intellectual property that is under current protection of any form opens themselves up to action by the owners of the material. The more high profile that material you copy the more likely it is that action could be taken against you.

No entrant should use a likeness of any living person or base their story on any modern material as this would constitute a violation of rights unless you have gained written permission to do so.

To avoid any potential problems all entrants should base their works on public domain ideas and themes -- all of the traditional Myths and Legends I know of are in the public domain.

There is a vast array of myths and legends in the links we provided. These can be interpreted in whatever way you feel best fits the Steampunk style.

leigh
11-15-2008, 12:32 PM
may i recommend that this is said in, either the feature page of the steam punk challenge, or in the first page of this topic.
to me a myth, is anything, and i was confident that we could do any myth (x-men) and clearly i was wrong. the concept of a steampunk donnie darko is alot more exciting to me, then thor with a steam powered hat.

To be honest, I am surprised anyone would think of X-Men or Donnie Darko when presented with the theme "myths and legends". To me, this theme immediately brings to mind ancient traditional folklore. While the word "myth" does simply mean story, academically it is only really used to describe stories with some form of sacred content, and is not used to describe fiction, such as modern novels, films or comics. Indeed, the term myth, when used academically, implies no truth or falsehood with regards to the story, due to its traditionally sacred nature.

For clarification, the main page of the challenge does specifically mention "traditional myths and legends" and the Inspiration page on the challenge site does also list the links posted by Mark above.

Over and above that, copyrighted characters are going to be problematic in an international art contest, and I'd advise artists against using such imagery as it could open them up to nasty legal action.

However, you are correct in that this could be made more obvious, so we'll endeavour to clarify this further in the challenge narrative, since it does seem to be causing some confusion. Apologies to all!

leigh
11-15-2008, 12:35 PM
Oops, it seems Mark posted while I was typing my post. Hopefully this clears the matter up and once again, apologies to those who were confused. Let's get back to some art!

MarkSnoswell
11-15-2008, 12:39 PM
FAQ updated also ... with the VERY important addition of reminding people that traditional Myths and Legends are in the public domain.

JurajMolcak
11-15-2008, 12:56 PM
@ MarkSnoswell - Am I on a good boat then? Thanks.

Elizabeth Bathory - from Wikipedia:
The influence of Elizabeth Bathory in popular culture has been notable from the 18th century to the present day. Since her death, various myths and legends surrounding her story have preserved her as a prominent figure in folklore, literature, music, film, games and toys.

MarkSnoswell
11-15-2008, 01:03 PM
@Juraj -- right on :)

... and because its late and its their weirding hour ...

“Little Miss Muffett sat on her tuffet eating her coils and gears”

“Mary had a little lamb it’s fleece was slick with oil”

“Old Mc Donald had a farm.
Ee i ee i oh.
And on that farm he had a -- robot.
Ee i ee i oh.
With a squeak- squeak here and a squeak- squeak there
Here a squeak
There a squeak
Everywhere a squeak- squeak
Ee i ee i oh”

and before anyone accuses me of using copyright material (or butchering children's rhymes) - these are just crazy examples. I have no idea if they are copyrighted by anyone or in the public domain.

JurajMolcak
11-15-2008, 01:09 PM
@Juraj -- right on :)

... and because its late and its their weirding hour ...

... -- robot.
Ee i ee i oh.
With a squeak- squeak her and a squeak- squeak there
Here a squeak
There a squeak
Everywhere a squeak- squeak
Ee i ee i oh”

lol, I will hear that whole challenge long from now on :applause: Anyway, thanks for the answer. Means a much to me since I am so excited about the story I am working on.

mxdirector
11-15-2008, 01:15 PM
firstly, thank you for adding to the rules mark.

to leigh, well "myth and legend" does suggest (as you say) traditional myths to the like of the greek myths. however, myth and legends can also apply to any story really. although i first thought of thor and the likes for this project, research brought up star wars steam punk and so on, before you know it, i was looking at my dvd collection seeing what modern mythologies could be transformed in to steam punk.

i might just do wolverine with steam powered claws, its not like i stand a chance to win any thing in the competition anyway.

Legacy40k
11-15-2008, 01:20 PM
For clarification, the main page of the challenge does specifically mention "traditional myths and legends" and the Inspiration page on the challenge site does also list the links posted by Mark above.

Here is a question.. would it be considered rude or nice to tell people that their current project doesn't fit into this idea? Assuming something it's something obvious of course.

MarkSnoswell
11-15-2008, 01:28 PM
So how does this apply to people using older stories and fables... for example: Pinnochio, The Wizard of Oz, Three Little Pigs, Little Red Riding Hood, The Little Mermaid, Robin Hood etc. There are many entrants working on ideas that are based on well known stories rather than more traditional myths and mythical figures/place such as Hercules, Icarus, or the other more classical tales.

It's a matter of personal interpretation and we are always very liberal in what we accept.

I think people will do well where there is an artistic contrast between a well known fable/myth/legend and the Steampunk style.

I like the examples you gave better than an ancient story that no one may be familiar with today -- but that's just my opinion. Others may prefer to see something that is clearly an ancient tale rendered in the Steampunk style.

For the most impact whatever you choose the Steampunk style should add an artistic twist to the story -- a contrast, a compliment or a surprise.

paperclip
11-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Here is a question.. would it be considered rude or nice to tell people that their current project doesn't fit into this idea? Assuming something it's something obvious of course.

I would think it's quite helpful, particularly if you direct them to the comments in this thread. There's no point in letting someone go along doing the wrong thing completely...as I have been doing...

This thread has been very useful. I have to go do some thinking now....

Bittler
11-15-2008, 01:54 PM
But....before working on my stuff, the Noé ARK ,it's available or not?...just a simple question
Thanks
Bernard

Legacy40k
11-15-2008, 02:05 PM
But....before working on my stuff, the Noé ARK ,it's available or not?...just a simple question
Thanks
Bernard

Biblical stories from the old testament would be fine.. Noa's Ark, David and Goliath, Jonah and the Whale for example.

leigh
11-15-2008, 02:07 PM
@ MarkSnoswell - Am I on a good boat then? Thanks.

Elizabeth Bathory - from Wikipedia:

Indeed, Báthory Erzsébet the "Blood Countess" could qualify, as there are numerous legends about her, even surrounding her death. While she was a historical character, she is shrouded in enough legend to provide fodder for this particular challenge. I'd personally say her character and the stories about her, fall quite squarely into the common folklore category of the legend genre.

adib
11-15-2008, 02:11 PM
What about Dragons? If the story is about an Iron Dragon,that will be fine?

leigh
11-15-2008, 02:12 PM
to leigh, well "myth and legend" does suggest (as you say) traditional myths to the like of the greek myths. however, myth and legends can also apply to any story really. although i first thought of thor and the likes for this project, research brought up star wars steam punk and so on, before you know it, i was looking at my dvd collection seeing what modern mythologies could be transformed in to steam punk.

i might just do wolverine with steam powered claws, its not like i stand a chance to win any thing in the competition anyway.

Hiya, I don't want to be difficult, but I did cover this in my initial response. Including the part about comic/film characters - I'd highly recommend avoiding them, not just because they only somewhat tenuously fit into the theme, but mainly due to their copyrighted nature. There really is a wealth of incredible traditional lore out there, so why not delve for something really unusual and interesting, instead of using Hollywood ideas? Push your creativity a little more. Personally I feel the motivation for your entry shouldn't be whether or not you win a prize, but rather to see what bizarre and exciting stuff you can pull out of your own head. Show people something they've never seen before.

leigh
11-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Thanks
Bernard

Of course that's fine. Anything from any religious text is, by its very nature, mythological. And so as to avoid any offense to anyone here, remember, as I said earlier, the word "myth", in its academic use, does not imply truth or falsehood, it simply refers to a narrative that is essentially of a sacred tradition.

leigh
11-15-2008, 02:17 PM

Having already done that myself with one of the contestants, I'd say that no, it's not rude. It's about clarifying something so as to ensure that the artist is on the right track.

leigh
11-15-2008, 02:23 PM
What about Dragons? If the story is about an Iron Dragon,that will be fine?

Dragons are a somewhat contained genre in themselves, but they are "the stuff of legends". If you do decide to do a dragon though, it would add more depth to your entry if you chose a specific dragon, for example the Chinese Dragon of the North Sea Ao Ming (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ao_Shun), or the Norse Níðhöggr (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nidhogg) who lies beneath Yggdrasil, or perhaps depict the famous slaying of the dragon by St George, because it would put the dragon into a richer context.

You can find a list of mythological European dragons here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_dragon

I am sure you could find numerous dragons from other parts of the world with a little googling.

DonRallo
11-15-2008, 02:38 PM
Topicquestion:

If I would choose a simple war or a fight an create a scene in steampunk style, would it fit to the topic. Maybe I choose the second World War without any special characters, would that fit?

leigh
11-15-2008, 02:45 PM
Topicquestion:

If I would choose a simple war or a fight an create a scene in steampunk style, would it fit to the topic. Maybe I choose the second World War without any special characters, would that fit?

Not really, in my opinion. If you want to do a war or battle, why not choose something like the battle of Troy, since there are many legendary characters in that story? Come on guys, there is so much ancient mythology to draw from here, why would you want to do something that is so covered already? World War 2 is covered already in so many games, books and films. Why not taking an character from an ancient, rich tradition and show people something they haven't seen before? Look, ultimately nothing is stopping you from doing what you want, but it will count against you somewhat when it comes time to judge.

adib
11-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Ok,but my story is about an Iron Dragon,hunted by those guys who have an ship base on steam engine,also to do that in steampunk style I made the dragon from iron,also a steampunk style.That will be ok?

JurajMolcak
11-15-2008, 02:57 PM
Ok,but my story is about an Iron Dragon,hunted by those guys who have an ship base on steam engine,also to do that in steampunk style I made the dragon from iron,also a steampunk style.That will be ok?

hey adib, nice to see you challenging again. To me, what Leigh said to you is: You can keep the Iron Dragon, there is no problem. But will be better to pick some legend where dragons are included and instead of using traditional organic dragon use your Iron Dragon on its place. This way you can ,for example, have St George fighting your Iron Dragon with some steampunked armory in its original legend.

leigh
11-15-2008, 03:14 PM
hey adib, nice to see you challenging again. To me, what Leigh said to you is: You can keep the Iron Dragon, there is no problem. But will be better to pick some legend where dragons are included and instead of using traditional organic dragon use your Iron Dragon on its place. This way you can ,for example, have St George fighting your Iron Dragon with some steampunked armory in its original legend.

Exactly :thumbsup:

sspofford
11-15-2008, 05:12 PM
I'm sorry to be a little repetitive (your polar bear avatar looks sadly appropriate to this thread :P), but I just wanted to make sure brer rabbit was okay. It's in the public domain, but it's not exactly mythical. I just didn't want to do another Icarus, you know. If it's not, I have another idea that's more...greek, I just didn't like it as much as brer rabbit.

Legacy40k
11-15-2008, 05:13 PM
I'm surprised I haven't seen anybody working on anything from Alice in Steamland yet. It's filled with so many great ideas because of all Alice's different encounters. Would "Alice in Wonderland" be fair game?

Legacy40k
11-15-2008, 05:16 PM
I'm sorry to be a little repetitive (your polar bear avatar looks sadly appropriate to this thread :P), but I just wanted to make sure brer rabbit was okay. It's in the public domain, but it's not exactly mythical. I just didn't want to do another Icarus, you know. If it's not, I have another idea that's more...greek, I just didn't like it as much as brer rabbit.

See if this post (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=5496259&postcount=97) helps at all.

sspofford
11-15-2008, 05:20 PM
haha! Hadn't noticed that was from the president. Thanks :D

FaresLM
11-15-2008, 09:46 PM
i'm till waiting u,, my reply number (#85) on page 6. . . . regards _

Jeepster
11-15-2008, 10:28 PM
in the email i received after entering, it said this:

To equip you for this Challenge, SOFTIMAGE is offering all contestants a copy of XSI Essentials 6.5 for use in this contest, which you can keep if you finish! Grab it here:
http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/promo/challenge22/ (http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/promo/challenge22/)

i just registered, then i noticed this is the wrong challenge (16th June 2008 )...
so whats the deal with that? do i still get to have the license if i submit an entry for this contest, rather than the last one?

leigh
11-15-2008, 10:59 PM
hi _
i can't access to participate & i'm new here (i've only 7 posts rightnow),, is that the problem?

Are you sure you've entered in the correct way? You have to enter through here, not on the forum itself:

Please read the challenge instructions, they do explain everything.

admkrk
11-15-2008, 11:46 PM
in the email i received after entering, it said this:

To equip you for this Challenge, SOFTIMAGE is offering all contestants a copy of XSI Essentials 6.5 for use in this contest, which you can keep if you finish! Grab it here:
http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/promo/challenge22/ (http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/promo/challenge22/)

i just registered, then i noticed this is the wrong challenge (16th June 2008 )...
so whats the deal with that? do i still get to have the license if i submit an entry for this contest, rather than the last one?

according to this (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=5486634&postcount=17) it should have been removed from the emails.

ThE_JacO
11-16-2008, 02:04 AM
Thanks
Bernard

CGTalk's ban on religious topics is a ban on the debate of them or on contributing material and opinions that might potentially offend one or more groups of religious people. It's not a ban on anything and everything that has a tenous link to religion.

Said that, if you put together a representation of Noah's Ark carrying robots on the crest of a wave about to submerge a 1820 London (and this applies to many other myths, paraboles and legends that are religious in origin) there's nothing wrong with it.

You tread more dangerous grounds if you start dealing with things like the temptation, the crucifiction etc, but the hyperbolic parts of the old testament (babel, the flood etc) I would say are fairly safe. Maybe leave the genesis alone, since it's still one of the most debated and polemized parts.

It would go wrong the moment you question somebody's beliefs with it or ridicule a social group of some description, but Christain myths iconography is constantly re-imagined and revisited by the church itself.

AdamTSC
11-16-2008, 02:29 AM
Dragons are a somewhat contained genre in themselves, but they are "the stuff of legends". If you do decide to do a dragon though, it would add more depth to your entry if you chose a specific dragon, for example the Chinese Dragon of the North Sea Ao Ming (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ao_Shun), or the Norse Níðhöggr (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nidhogg) who lies beneath Yggdrasil, or perhaps depict the famous slaying of the dragon by St George, because it would put the dragon into a richer context.

You can find a list of mythological European dragons here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_dragon

I am sure you could find numerous dragons from other parts of the world with a little googling.

For my video entry, I was going to take some elements from Norse mythology including Yggdrasil and Nidhoggr (whose presence is a sign of the coming Ragnarok), and add in a some elements that weren't necessarily in the mythology: i.e. the protagonist's attempt to kill the dragon to prevent the Ragnarok. If the video has its roots in mythology and feels like it is telling such a story, is this alright?

Edit: Just thought of another thing; earlier in this thread, someone said it was alright to mix various myths.Would this be a way around that?

AdamTSC
11-16-2008, 02:30 AM
(Hopefully quick) question:

-Are there any constraints on the use of photographic elements in our works? (I am thinking particularly as regards matte-paintings)

-If we are allowed, will it have an negative effect on judging?

I'm not talking about passing off photographic elements as painted or rendered, but use where we explicitly show it.

Thanks!
-A

Was wondering if there was any word on this?

Thanks,
A

AdamTSC
11-16-2008, 03:13 AM
So I guess it would be possible to include the non-Norse elements, such as having the main character fight the dragon (if I took that from the St. George legend), and so on for other elements?:

[edit by leigh]

You're even free to mix different mythologies. So, for example, you could have the Greek god Zeus battling the Aztec god Quetzalcoatl, or Norse Thor enjoying pints of mead with Roman Liber. Feel free to mix and match different traditions to create your own new epic imagery.

The fun lies in taking what are essentially quite ancient stories and creating cool, anachronistic imagery of these ancient figures in the more modern Steampunk milieu.

Amirgdx5
11-16-2008, 03:52 AM
Great!!... i guess my question wasen`t important....:curious:

adib
11-16-2008, 05:41 AM
On the Team management,I invite my fried CostiB and when he hit on his mail accept give them an error.Can we fix that please.

My team: Adib-Adrian Baluta
CostiB-Costin Barbulescu

Thanks!

ValenUA
11-16-2008, 06:22 AM
On the Team management,I invite my fried CostiB and when he hit on his mail accept give them an error.Can we fix that please.

CostiB-Costin Barbulescu

Thanks!

Me and my friends are also having the same problem, and some people on the third page of this topic also were asking about same stuff...

Pooyag
11-16-2008, 07:05 AM
Same problem with team management except my teammates did not receive any email when I invited them.

Any help would be appreciated.

SuperXCM
11-16-2008, 08:06 AM
Hi,

sorry to be repetitive too... but it's confusing... so it's ok to use Chinese mythology, I would like for exemple show the Chinese story of a particular Dragon. Here in China is really well know, but not sure all the participants or judge will know the story....

(哪吒闹海 - na zha nao hai - na zha beat the dragon) ...

Thanks.

MarkSnoswell
11-16-2008, 10:58 AM
Themes:

Any myth/legend/story/faery tale/rhyme - whatever... if its more then 50 years old its probably in the public domain and you are completely free to use it.

Adding to and mixing Themes:

Yes -- go for it. Hey -- we are asking you to depict traditional stories in Steampunk style -- how much more variation can you get! ;)

Remember the theme is "based" on traditional myths and legends -- there is plenty of room for you to be imaginative in how you twist and express the theme in Steampunk style.

Judging:

Judging is primarily on artistic merit which includes storytelling. The appropriateness of the theme or any other issue is secondary to artistic and storytelling merit.

Popularity / familiarly of the theme:

This is secondary to artistic merit. Don't worry -- you wont have any disadvantage because your chosen myth is not widely known. If you are worried then just add a *short* explanation for the myth - like "A popular Chinese myth of the Dragon that threatens a village" ... in fact it would be nice (my opinion only) if people gave *short* explanations and acknowledged the myth/story that inspired them.

Amirgdx5
11-16-2008, 11:04 AM
About the final image,were do we have to upload the, uncompressed TIFF ZIP file?

ValenUA
11-16-2008, 11:15 AM

CostiB-Costin Barbulescu

Thanks!
Same problem with me and my friends...

Citizen Suicide
11-16-2008, 12:45 PM
I have got an idea, but I'm not sure of how well it fits the brief. I was thinking of taking something like the Battle of Thermopylae, which has taken on Mythic proportions, and showing it in the context of a Greek civilisation that has mechanised with Steam Power.

I'm not sure that would be either Steampunk or Mythic enough. Some of the answers indicate it might be ok, I just want to make sure.

killermachine
11-16-2008, 01:03 PM
im not sure if this is the right place to post but im not able to see what others are posting through the challenge uploader system..any idea ?? it just shows blank space with a cross on top left.

clockworkalchemist
11-16-2008, 01:45 PM

it isnt really hard to find but maybe it'l help if it was a little more noticeable
just a thought thou

clockworkalchemist
11-16-2008, 02:03 PM
Hi, i started my illustration with Noé ARK theme , yes it's a story in holy bible but i not
drawing a religious représentation ( cross or more things ) I like the simply scenery of this story ...but i want to know if i'm in a badway...
sorry for my english :-/

i don't think you'd be in the bad there are many legions around the world that are basicly like that "Gilgamesh" being 1

cabaal
11-16-2008, 03:26 PM

CostiB-Costin Barbulescu

Thanks!

Same problem.
Can we just post the name of our team members on the thread about our project ?

Please tell us if someone look on this problem.

simjoy
11-16-2008, 04:01 PM
About the final image,were do we have to upload the, uncompressed TIFF ZIP file?
from the deliverables instructions :

"The final image for the Image category must be in both JPG/PNG (submitted online), and TIF formats (submitted by FTP, at a print-resolution of no less than 300dpi).
Information about the final file submission will be emailed to all contestants in the last month of the Challenge"

BookMansBlues
11-16-2008, 08:58 PM

CostiB-Costin Barbulescu

Thanks!

just making sure this problem doesn't die as were still having the same issue.

again thanks.... :)

salmonmoose
11-16-2008, 08:59 PM

It's been the weekend, I'll look into it when I get into the office.

salmonmoose
11-16-2008, 09:34 PM
Hi,

sorry to be repetitive too... but it's confusing... so it's ok to use Chinese mythology, I would like for exemple show the Chinese story of a particular Dragon. Here in China is really well know, but not sure all the participants or judge will know the story....

(哪吒闹海 - na zha nao hai - na zha beat the dragon) ...

Thanks.

Nothing wrong with that - if you want us to be clear, try to find a version of the text (in English) and include it in your thread somewhere.

MarkSnoswell
11-16-2008, 11:28 PM
@Citizen Suicide -- sounds like a great idea to me - go for it!

@clockworkalchemist -- good idea - not problems with religious nature.

The question of religious themes has come up a few times. It's perfectly OK. I was the one who drafted the rules and regulations for the CGSociety. The Rules about decency and religious works are really there to remind people that this is a global community with members and viewers who have a wide range of beliefs. We all need to be respectful of this diversity -- artistic expression should push boundaries but it should not be used as an excuse to deliberately upset people.

khendar
11-17-2008, 01:04 AM

CostiB-Costin Barbulescu

Thanks!

Could anyone having issues with the team member invites please PM me or post a reply containing the exact error you are receiving. I have just gone through the process and it seems to be working for me. There was a slight issue with the confirm link which should be fixed now but it shouldn't stop you from sending the Team Invite emails.

If you were successful in sending the email but your team mate has not received it, please ask them to check their spam boxes as it may have been junked by mistake.

FOURK
11-17-2008, 01:59 AM
I hate to be the millionth person to post about this; but this "liberty" to chose from many different tales/stories/events/myths/legends is confusing to me -

I had started working on a Steampunk'ed adaptation of Jack the Ripper - but after re-reading the rules I'm not sure if that qualifies as a legit "event" to "steampunk"..

Can I get some clarification.. can I continue with the adaptation, or should I start from scratch and go with something a little more.. ancient or mythy? ( considering the fact that it is a real story.. )

So.. yeah - Yes or No for a Jack The Ripper adaptation?

Amirgdx5
11-17-2008, 04:00 AM
ThanX Simjoy :wavey: finaly someone saw my comment :)

walrus
11-17-2008, 04:03 AM
Fourk, please reread Mark's post #129: I really think it covers what you and a lot of other people are asking. The most important thing is that you do a spectacular piece with strong story-telling and steampunk elements to it. If you cover those bases, quibbling over how "mythic" Jack the Ripper (or many other peoples' approaches) is of less importance.

adib
11-17-2008, 06:13 AM
Hi, I submited my animatic via cgchallenge uploader,and when I hit play doesn t show my movie.Why?

cabaal
11-17-2008, 07:03 AM
Thank you very much to have fix the team manager problem.

Everything is allright now.

You are the best :thumbsup:

FaresLM
11-17-2008, 08:58 AM
Are you sure you've entered in the correct way? You have to enter through here, not on the forum itself:

Please read the challenge instructions, they do explain everything.

thx leigh,,

SuperXCM
11-17-2008, 09:08 AM
Nothing wrong with that - if you want us to be clear, try to find a version of the text (in English) and include it in your thread somewhere.

Thank you very much! :)

adib
11-17-2008, 10:52 AM
I have a question: When I will post my final video entry its ok if I put 30 secunds trailer,60 secunds making of and 60 secunds long trailer? Because I dont have time to make the all movie in just 2 mouths.

Thanks.

Gyorkland
11-17-2008, 02:05 PM
For example if I pick a centaur can I put him on any situation I want?, not necessary a mithological event according to the character?, cause I read about the centaurs and they have Issues only with humans, and I wanted to put him against other creatures maybe.

TM-Oliveira
11-17-2008, 04:55 PM
Hi everyone,

I've been thinking about using Alice in Wonderland as inspiration, specifically, the moment Alice meets the Caterpillar. My question is, could it be considered a myth or a legend?

Thanks a lot.

Thiago Oliveira

eevilmouse
11-17-2008, 06:32 PM
Hey I am curious if we would be able to particapate in both challenges? Granted it would be alot of work, but I want to know if the rules allow it :)

ThE_JacO
11-17-2008, 09:44 PM
I hate to be the millionth person to post about this; but this "liberty" to chose from many different tales/stories/events/myths/legends is confusing to me -

I had started working on a Steampunk'ed adaptation of Jack the Ripper - but after re-reading the rules I'm not sure if that qualifies as a legit "event" to "steampunk"..

Can I get some clarification.. can I continue with the adaptation, or should I start from scratch and go with something a little more.. ancient or mythy? ( considering the fact that it is a real story.. )

So.. yeah - Yes or No for a Jack The Ripper adaptation?

Most legends have a strong foundation in historical and/or porpaganda elements.
Jack the ripper, his unconcluded story, the amount of speculation around his figure, and how the events were magnified in telling a number of times definitely put him very, very close to legend status.
I'd say if your spin on it is good and it pulls the right elements it definitely qualifies.

As for steampunk, imagine a world where advancement of steam technology by the victorian era got much, much further, as did material engineering connected to it. Consequently there's never been the technological need to develop electronics or to advance electricity and conductors by much.
Hydraulics, gear transmission, clockwork and solid carbon sources of power dominate, and the technological single-mindedness (in most visions of steampunk) also froze the social system and fashion sense to the victorian era.

Steampunk visuals are normally a consequence of that.

You also have post-nuclear steampunk, where mankind emerges after a short nuclear winter and has the memories and desire for a certain type of machinery, but not the facilities or structure needed to re-implement electronics, so the re-evolution of technology veers toward the big, bulky and steamy, but it's nowhere as done and tried as victorian steampunk.

BastienL
11-17-2008, 09:49 PM
Hi !

I've just a little problem... my english is not as good as I want. I've posted my firts sketch in my thread... and I don't understand how can I post the rest of my WIP... ?
Could somebody help me ?
Thanks,

B.

TerryTrefry
11-17-2008, 09:58 PM
I have entered the image challenge and the video challenge. When I tried to submit my storyboard to the video challenge it went to my image challenge. It looks like I have no way to submit to the video challenge even though it shows me that I need to submit my storyboard.
I now have a storyboard in my image challenge.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

DianaMoon
11-17-2008, 10:10 PM
From FAQ: Q: Can I have multiple entries?

A: Not in a single category. As stated in the guidelines, no multiple entries although it's possible to enter multiple categories.

Sorry, just want a clarification here.. So that means if I created a steampunk scene, I could enter that scene into different categories (concept art and digital painting for instance), and it doesn't mean that I could have that scene in one category and then take a character from same scene and do a character portrait to enter in another category (obviously the best character one)?

Thanks!
-Di

admkrk
11-17-2008, 10:15 PM
Hi !

I've just a little problem... my english is not as good as I want. I've posted my firts sketch in my thread... and I don't understand how can I post the rest of my WIP... ?
Could somebody help me ?
Thanks,

B.

you do it the same way as the pre-vis only select wip from the drop-down instead.

ThE_JacO
11-17-2008, 11:22 PM
From FAQ:

Sorry, just want a clarification here.. So that means if I created a steampunk scene, I could enter that scene into different categories (concept art and digital painting for instance), and it doesn't mean that I could have that scene in one category and then take a character from same scene and do a character portrait to enter in another category (obviously the best character one)?

Thanks!
-Di
Categories like character, matte painting, FX etc are not something you enter specifically.
Your work needs to be filed under image, video or video team. You can enter each category with a different piece.
When award time comes an absolute best of each is picked, and then pieces that are particularly brilliant in a specific regard get awarded for each sub-category.

Character, FX etc are judging sub-categories, not something you have to individually subscribe to. Basically you shouldn't bother with it beyond the focus of your work, there is no bureaucracy for you to deal with past choosing image or video and team or individual.

DianaMoon
11-18-2008, 12:05 AM
Categories like character, matte painting, FX etc are not something you enter specifically.
Your work needs to be filed under image, video or video team. You can enter each category with a different piece.
When award time comes an absolute best of each is picked, and then pieces that are particularly brilliant in a specific regard get awarded for each sub-category.

Character, FX etc are judging sub-categories, not something you have to individually subscribe to. Basically you shouldn't bother with it beyond the focus of your work, there is no bureaucracy for you to deal with past choosing image or video and team or individual.

Ah I see. Thanks for clearing that up for me. =D

SynthOrange
11-18-2008, 02:39 AM
Heya, a question about the format of the images.

Almost all of the entries I've seen for past CG Challenges have been done as snapshots or illustrations of scenes. What I had in mind was to do an adventure pulp comic cover. This doesnt break any rules in particular, does it?

ThE_JacO
11-18-2008, 03:24 AM
Heya, a question about the format of the images.

Almost all of the entries I've seen for past CG Challenges have been done as snapshots or illustrations of scenes. What I had in mind was to do an adventure pulp comic cover. This doesnt break any rules in particular, does it?
None that I know of, provided of course that you don't use copyrighted material like vertigo's logo or something like that on it.

SynthOrange
11-18-2008, 07:11 AM
Thanks, was just wondering if it was any particular rule, or just inertia that was causing that.

JurajMolcak
11-18-2008, 10:25 AM
Hello,
I am curious about few technical issues. Challenge page = wip images are not found when thumbnail is clicked. Uploaded wip video via challenge uploader = no flv player/video. Are those known issues? Are we going to have it working soon?
Thanks.

khendar
11-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Hello,
I am curious about few technical issues. Challenge page = wip images are not found when thumbnail is clicked. Uploaded wip video via challenge uploader = no flv player/video. Are those known issues? Are we going to have it working soon?
Thanks.

Which thumbnails are you having problems with ? I just went through your whole thread and they all appear to be present and correct.

There may be a problem with the video files. They seem to be getting uploaded properly (I just added one to my entry) but the "Play Video" link is not working as it should. I will check it out.

Video player has been fixed.

JurajMolcak
11-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Which thumbnails are you having problems with ? I just went through your whole thread and they all appear to be present and correct.

hey,
I was talking about this challenge page: http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/steampunk/view_entries.php?challenger=15629

Every clicked thumbnail is getting 404 Not Found page to me.

Thanks.

khendar
11-18-2008, 12:10 PM
hey,
I was talking about this challenge page: http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/steampunk/view_entries.php?challenger=15629

Every clicked thumbnail is getting 404 Not Found page to me.

Thanks.

Ok. Fixed :)

JurajMolcak
11-18-2008, 12:17 PM
@ khendar - Yup, all working :thumbsup: Thanks.

adib
11-18-2008, 01:17 PM
Question: Is it ok if i made only the trailer 30 seconds,making of 60 second and a long trailer about 60 second on the final entry,will be fine?

Thanks!

monotoon
11-18-2008, 02:30 PM
How to upload an WIP image correctly? I did it with a link to a server
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5501714#post5501714

but i guess that is wrong?!? It has to be done in the "Challenge site facility"!!? That´s maybe a stupid question but where is this Challenge Site facility?

ThanX

Legacy40k
11-18-2008, 03:54 PM
How to upload an WIP image correctly? I did it with a link to a server
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5501714#post5501714

but i guess that is wrong?!? It has to be done in the "Challenge site facility"!!? That´s maybe a stupid question but where is this Challenge Site facility?

ThanX

So submit your progress images:

There is also a link at the top of the forum under the challenge banner that says "submit entry"

Legacy40k
11-18-2008, 03:58 PM
A couple of films that may be of interest of people for steampunk references

Steamboy (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0348121/)

Read or Die (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368197/)

CME64
11-18-2008, 05:25 PM
hi there
i have few questions i hope u answer them :
Q:is it allowed to use a myth from my mind ? a myth of my own !
Q:how is the prossess of delivering the awards?and can somebody recive them instead of me ?
Q:if i got started with a work, can i change the idea of it totally later ?
thanks in advance

paperclip
11-18-2008, 05:38 PM
hi there
i have few questions i hope u answer them :
Q:is it allowed to use a myth from my mind ? a myth of my own !
Q:how is the prossess of delivering the awards?and can somebody recive them instead of me ?
Q:if i got started with a work, can i change the idea of it totally later ?
thanks in advance

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a moderator/judge/anything else, so what I say is far from definitive.

1) No, you have to base it on an existing myth/legend, preferably one in the public consciousness. (which is a bummer, as some of my favourite concepts were based on stories that I made up myself, meh.)

2) Ballistic doesn't handle the mailing out of awards- that's done by the sponsoring companies, who will get your mailing address from your submissions page. You can do what you like with the prize once you get it.

3) You can change your concept at any time you want- as long as you post updates of your progress.

walrus
11-18-2008, 06:51 PM

It's almost sure that someone other than you will receive an award!... But if you're good, you might receive one too! :)

But seriously, what Theresa says is on the level. Although the companies sending out prizes always confirm your address with you directly before mailing any prizes.

And your entry isn't set in stone until you post your final at the very end. You have your full prerogative to change your mind.

salmonmoose
11-18-2008, 09:10 PM
I have a question: When I will post my final video entry its ok if I put 30 secunds trailer,60 secunds making of and 60 secunds long trailer? Because I dont have time to make the all movie in just 2 mouths.

Thanks.

You've got 3 months for video ;)

If you can get your story across well in 30 seconds then go for it - but keep in mind, entries are based on how well they tell a story, not just what they look like.

salmonmoose
11-18-2008, 09:14 PM
Hey I am curious if we would be able to particapate in both challenges? Granted it would be alot of work, but I want to know if the rules allow it :)

If you mean video and still? Then yes.

salmonmoose
11-18-2008, 09:15 PM
I have entered the image challenge and the video challenge. When I tried to submit my storyboard to the video challenge it went to my image challenge. It looks like I have no way to submit to the video challenge even though it shows me that I need to submit my storyboard.
Thanks

Does it work with the uploader?

aurora
11-18-2008, 10:01 PM
I've had some one contact me telling me my desire to do a scene with Melkor, a Vala, and Ungoliant a demon in spider form killing the Two Trees of Valinor from Tolkiens 'The Silmarillion' would not fit the theme of Legends. How could this be true if from the refernece links given, elves, dwarves, and even Tolkien creations such as Hobbits and other charaters can be OK but something specific from a work started almost 100 years ago and is even covered in University Mythology classes not fall under the theme?
Am I safe in working with this idea?

RedRepublik
11-18-2008, 11:50 PM
for those of us who have been working on the HCR Steampunk challenge, can we expand on what we did there, or draw inspiration from those concepts?

paperclip
11-18-2008, 11:50 PM
I've had some one contact me telling me my desire to do a scene with Melkor, a Vala, and Ungoliant a demon in spider form killing the Two Trees of Valinor from Tolkiens 'The Silmarillion' would not fit the theme of Legends. How could this be true if from the refernece links given, elves, dwarves, and even Tolkien creations such as Hobbits and other charaters can be OK but something specific from a work started almost 100 years ago and is even covered in University Mythology classes not fall under the theme?
Am I safe in working with this idea?

Hmm...this is sort of borderline. On one hand, the stories in Tolkien are based on legends (celtic, scandinavian, etc), so that's the legend aspect down. On the other hand, the silmarillon IS a copyright book and ideally the stories you use should be based on works in the public domain.

....but on the OTHER hand, plenty of people are using stories such as alice in wonderland etc etc, which aren't public domain but are in the public consciousness. Sooo....based on the fact that the legends you picked from the silmarillon ARE based originally on ancient myth/legend, my verdict is that you should be OK and this story will be OK for submission guidelines.

Under this thinking- elves, dwarves, gnomes, trolls, etc would be OK to use as they are all mythological anyway, but anything specific to LOTR (like hobbits) wouldn't.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a moderator/judge/anything else, so what I say is far from definitive.

TerryTrefry
11-19-2008, 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6dollarman
Thanks

Does it work with the uploader?
It worked like a charm.Thank you .
My Image Challenge is still cluttered with my video pics. Anything I can do?
Thanks again.

NilixDelnori
11-19-2008, 04:51 AM
Can our piece be about a location rather than a person or an event? In my case, I was thinking of doing the World Tree, Yggdrasil.

ThE_JacO
11-19-2008, 06:09 AM
Can our piece be about a location rather than a person or an event? In my case, I was thinking of doing the World Tree, Yggdrasil.
It's a mythical element, so why not. As long as it's revisited in story and look to have steampunk roots (pun intended)

NilixDelnori
11-19-2008, 07:27 AM
Awesome. Looks like I have some reading to do. Also, my friend was asking about this. Would Santa Claus work? Seeing how there really was a Saint Nic(h)olas, but there's a completely different guy up at the North Pole. We're kinda tossing around random ideas at this point.

ThE_JacO
11-19-2008, 11:42 AM
Awesome. Looks like I have some reading to do. Also, my friend was asking about this. Would Santa Claus work? Seeing how there really was a Saint Nic(h)olas, but there's a completely different guy up at the North Pole. We're kinda tossing around random ideas at this point.
I'd say santa is a lot closer to the guidelines than most of Alice in wonderland could ever dream to be :)

paperclip
11-19-2008, 12:11 PM
Is Alice in Wonderland TOO far out of the lines? I just need to clarify this before I get started with a load of sketches for it!

dagann
11-19-2008, 06:34 PM
Hello.
Is it possible to post our challenge wip in another forum at the same time we post in cgtalk?

KACHURA
11-19-2008, 08:14 PM
KACHURA, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

???????????????????????? free ??????????????????????????????

Kirt
11-19-2008, 09:20 PM
KACHURA - Use this page to enter the challenge (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/steampunk/enter.php)

CME64
11-19-2008, 09:30 PM
thank you 4 replying Ms.Theresa
and thanks 2 u Mr.Michael for the funny joke, u have such a funny sense
after i was created in my mind a legend of the legendary samurai warriors 2030
I didnt know if it will be wasted or if it really exists in the public myths
I think i'll have to try finding an alternative legend
but i have a last Q:what is the main point of this type of challenge (the goal)?
thanks again ..

ThE_JacO
11-19-2008, 10:45 PM
Is Alice in Wonderland TOO far out of the lines? I just need to clarify this before I get started with a load of sketches for it!
It's probably not so far out that it won't be considered at all, but Alice is an original story with very, very few folkloristic, historical or mythical elements, and no legends in it.

Some parts of it, cleverly re-worked, might fit, but ultimately adherence to the theme is a parameter for the judges to consider.
I wouldn't say it's too far, but I would say it's a "courageous" choice. A fantastic story and set of characters that will be quite hard to pick and dissect to really fit well in the guidelines. Basically it's not playing safe, it's not obvious, but not necessarily wrong from the word go.

Don't take what I typed as gospel though, the judges and administration might think differently in either direction.

misscube
11-19-2008, 10:58 PM
It's a very interesting challenge and I'm going to post my 2 posts to participate of this one!!!

I have several ideas but i want a precision:

I want to know if an illustration with The enchanted lamp and the genuis from alladdin and the waderful lamp is good or not? I think it's not because is a tale but i wat to be sure of that..

DragonSFX
11-19-2008, 11:10 PM
It's probably not so far out that it won't be considered at all, but Alice is an original story with very, very few folkloristic, historical or mythical elements, and no legends in it.

Some parts of it, cleverly re-worked, might fit, but ultimately adherence to the theme is a parameter for the judges to consider.
I wouldn't say it's too far, but I would say it's a "courageous" choice. A fantastic story and set of characters that will be quite hard to pick and dissect to really fit well in the guidelines. Basically it's not playing safe, it's not obvious, but not necessarily wrong from the word go.

Don't take what I typed as gospel though, the judges and administration might think differently in either direction.

the jaco- regardless of stature... alice in wonderland was mentioned on one of the first few pages as an acceptable source of inspiration. i don't have time to look up the actual post atm, but it was "signed off" by one of the moderators (and is actually the direction i plan to go... given the time ;-) )

-L

ThE_JacO
11-20-2008, 12:35 AM
there's also been a bit of going back and correcting some statements (and not all have been addressed yet).
This is one that was corrected: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=5486639&postcount=18

Although it wasn't about original novel work vs actual legends and myths, the topic we're talking about here came up in discussion before, Alice in the specific funny enough, and I can tell you that while not ruled out, some people felt it was borderline or off given the guidelines, including one of the judges.
That's why I said it's not so off that it will automatically lose you points, but it's a much trickier starting point to latch on to the MAIN subject of the challenge, which is myths&legends revisited and twisted into a style that would be anachronistic for the largest majority of the publicly accessible material.
You are also dealing with copyrighted material when you deal with Alice, so that's also more treacherous ground you trod.

By all means though, do it if you want to, it's a fantastic idea and I love Alice and anything through the mirror. All I was saying is that it will land you in a gray area rather than square in the center of the target, so it becomes harder work to score points for theme.

khendar
11-20-2008, 12:39 AM
I think Alice in Wonderland as an acceptable source of inspiration. It may not fit strictly into the theme of Myth and Legend but its an incredibly famous piece of fiction which has influenced a lot of works since its creation, and it has certainly developed a mythos of its own.

The Silmarillion idea is an interesting one. Whilst Tolkien's books are still fairly recent works, they too have developed a life of their own. In fact Tolkien's original wish was to create a detailed mythological world, where he builds the framework (locations, events, language), and that people that come after him would create the details (music, fashion, design etc). The Silmarillion is kind of unique in that its a mythology inside a fantasy. The tales of the First Age of Middle Earth (in my mind) definitely constitute a mythology, despite the relatively recent authorship.

RedRepublik
11-20-2008, 12:44 AM
so what about star wars? it is very mythological in nature

walrus
11-20-2008, 12:55 AM
There's a difference between "mythological in nature" and "honest-to-goodness myth." IMO, Start Wars is both too recent and too widely franchised to be an ideal subject for this contest. I feel that the idea here is more to take something older, something not already part of popular culture, and really make it your own. If you make a steampunk version of a cyclops, it's yours. If you make a steampunk Imperial Stormtrooper, it will always be George Lucas' first and your second. (Plus, if you really want to do Steampunk Star Wars, there are already contests for that exact topic in the MiniChallenges section of CGTalk.)

I personally feel the same way about Alice in Wonderland, too, thanks to the famous Tenniel drawings. As for Tolkien, he built a whole world and Mythology, so I think that setting something in that world of Middle Earth without, for example, borrowing heavily from the imagery of Peter Jackson could be acceptable. But like JacO said, it's all in your approach and final product. Doing an honest, authentic myth will be "safer" than trying to intentionally skirt the intent of the Challenge rules. But that doesn't mean you won't end up with a great piece, and not everyone wants to "play it safe," and not everyone wants to win either - some people just want a cool portfolio piece, winning and rules be damned.

ThE_JacO
11-20-2008, 01:51 AM
not everyone wants to win either - some people just want a cool portfolio piece, winning and rules be damned.
That's also a reply to a question that came up before (even if it was probably badly worded and really meant something else): "what is the purpose of this challenge?".
Same as every other we've run.
To challenge yourself and produce good artwork that is both heartfelt and well executed. The prizes are there because the scale and relevance of this site has grown to the point of allowing for it, but this remains CGchallenge, not CGcompetition or CGratrace.
Produce work you're happy with and use this site's initiative as an excuse to further your skills and expand your portfolio.
If you're talented and lucky you might get rewarded for it, if other people will end up being more so because their piece is good and their vision appeals more to the judges' eyes, you'll still be better off than when you started for it.

I also have to subscribe in full to what Walrus posted, I feel it's perfect interpretation of the intentions and procedures that produce these challenges, and how they should be lived.

oneandonlyDiscoStu
11-20-2008, 02:09 AM
i kinda see the prizes just as tiny unreachable goal that somehow brings extra motivation.
people that are in a position to get them mostly dont need them i guess.
its great to get these people in and comment on many threads and bring extra quality wip threads everyone learning can follow along.
but for me its just fun and maybe a portfolio start.
and its good that somewhere waaaaaaaaaaaaay back in my head some greedy part is saying:
"hmmmm what if internet crashes for everyone exept for me and im the only one to turn in
anything???" this kinda is a nice motivator :p

aurora
11-20-2008, 03:20 AM
I'm not trying to skirt anything by going with Tolkien, back when I was a kid in the early 70's I was taught it was a mythical world and have also thought of it that way since. I loved reading Greek, Roman and especially Nordic legends and always put Tolkien, although extremely modern in comparison, as equal in stature. Such is the mixed up thinking of a kid. I've never thought differently till a friend EMailed saying I should get clarification otherwise.

axylfyre
11-20-2008, 03:39 AM
Would a chupacabra be considered a myth or legend that could be used here? I would be doing an animatronic (steampunk) version of it.

MarkSnoswell
11-20-2008, 03:40 AM
Traditional Myths and Legends can be interpreted as including all of these:
Myth
Legend
Faery tale
Nursery rhyme
Story
Ballad/song.

... whatever. If you think it feels like a "traditional - story-thing" then its within the spirit of the theme. Fact or fiction doesn't matter a whole lot as you go further back in time -- much of recorded history is so biased it borders on fictional and many fictional stories have become intertwined into historical accounts.

I have seen Alice in Wonderland and Tales of the Arabian knights (Aladdin's lamp) mentioned -- both of these are wonderful themes.

As for Lord of the Rings -- because of its current promotion in all media I would advise entrants look a little further back in time to completely avoid any potential for copyright issues. I cant imagine there would be any problems but given that there is so much material to draw from I think its wise to use material known to be in the public domain.

dagann
11-20-2008, 04:48 PM
Could someone tell me if we can post our challenge wip on other forums, or it's forbidden by the rules?

Kirt
11-20-2008, 04:52 PM
Could someone tell me if we can post our challenge wip on other forums, or it's forbidden by the rules?
Yes you can.

GAconcepts
11-20-2008, 08:33 PM
A fast question: Can I delete one of my entries?

Thanks in advance.

Kirt
11-20-2008, 11:06 PM
A fast question: Can I delete one of my entries?

Thanks in advance.
No you can't.

ReveFilm
11-21-2008, 06:24 AM
Hello, it was perviously mentioned that we could use character from packages like poser. IF we give proper credit, can we use free rigs from the net as well? Will my submission still be seen as an individual submission versus a group submission?

Pascal

dagann
11-21-2008, 07:31 AM
Yes you can.

Thx for your answer.

MarkSnoswell
11-21-2008, 10:20 AM
Hello, it was perviously mentioned that we could use character from packages like poser. IF we give proper credit, can we use free rigs from the net as well? Will my submission still be seen as an individual submission versus a group submission?

Pascal

You can use any resources you like -- we don't care how you make your entry. Its what you make that matters, not how you made it -- just like in the real world!

mcscher
11-21-2008, 03:36 PM
Hello everyone,

I now read the whole FAQ thread and I am confused. I do understand englisch but my understandig is limited. still I'm pretty sure that my idea I entered for the challenge is not suitable.

Q: does that mean I'm disqualified befor I really started?
Q: can I change my idea in total so I fit into the given theme? (I entered the idea for the category "image - individual")

as an explanation, I wanted to alter the character "Captain Future" which is a japanese/european tv production of the 1980s based on novels from Edmond Hamilton in the 1940-1944. It has a sertain cult status today and I thought that would go as "legend"

thanks mcscher

Samran
11-21-2008, 09:05 PM
hi ^_^
i want delete my Subscribe “Steampunk challenge post (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=278&t=694928)” !
i need start new one !
what i have to do
thanks ^_^

ThE_JacO
11-21-2008, 10:31 PM
Q: does that mean I'm disqualified befor I really started?
There isn't a qualification process to start with, so there's no disuqalification one either really :)
The only issue with something wildly off theme is that judges are unlikely to consider it for the top tier of prizes. If you are after those then you might want to change your work into something else that is closer to the challenge theme.

Q: can I change my idea in total so I fit into the given theme? (I entered the idea for the category "image - individual")
Yeah, threads and entries are per individual per category. You have your own thread and all at your disposal. If you change your mind just start over again in the same thread with whatever idea you want.
Only your final submission counts toward picking which one of several attempts you will want considered for judging. If the first two pages of the thread contained another idea you scrapped there's nothing wrong with that, it happens all the time.

mcscher
11-22-2008, 12:17 AM
thats great news, thanks.

surajitsen
11-22-2008, 01:51 PM
Hi

I have participated in Steampunk; Myths and Legends (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=278)(Still 3D Image,Softawares:3Ds Max2009,Mental RayPhotoshop CS3)competition. I have started the project.But I have queries related to the competition. Hope you will help me with by solving it.

1.Please clear the process the FTP Upload.Is this needed in my category?

2.Is it necccessery to update my daily progress report for this competetion?

Thank you

Surajit Sen

3D Artist

India

sen.surajit@yahoo.co.in

surajitsen
11-22-2008, 03:38 PM
Hi,
please give me the link where I can upload my update works images...for Steampunk; Myths and Legends (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=278) compitition

Thankss

Surajit Sen

walrus
11-22-2008, 04:20 PM
Go to the same directory you found this thread in. Look underneath the "Steampunk: Myths and Legends" banner and you will find a bunch of links. Click on the one that says "Submit Entry."

You are not required to show daily progress. You are requested to show some progress along the way. As for FTP, every entrant is required to FTP in their entries at the end. More information about FTP details will be mailed out closer to the close of the competition, which is a ways off still.

crazezard
11-22-2008, 09:28 PM
can i post my wip cgtalk challenge in other forum?

Spyndel
11-23-2008, 07:00 AM
If its not too much trouble, could you speak a little to aspect ratio? As with many things in the Challenges, I find myself confused by freedom ;) . Im used to producing things for specified outputs.

I dont recognize the print dimensions of the 3636 x2657 guideline , and I'd really like something a bit wider than that. Can I really just arbitrarily pick some dimensions out of my backside as long as its 300dpi, or should we aim towards an established paper or screen standard?

What is the "pro" move here? Am I overthinking this like usual?

paperclip
11-23-2008, 07:33 AM
If its not too much trouble, could you speak a little to aspect ratio? As with many things in the Challenges, I find myself confused by freedom ;) . Im used to producing things for specified outputs.

I dont recognize the print dimensions of the 3636 x2657 guideline , and I'd really like something a bit wider than that. Can I really just arbitrarily pick some dimensions out of my backside as long as its 300dpi, or should we aim towards an established paper or screen standard?

What is the "pro" move here? Am I overthinking this like usual?

Ripped directly from the FAQ::

Q: What resolution do you want the final image to be exactly? What about if we make the image a different aspect ratio and orientation?

A: That's cool, just make it big enough to fill a full page in an A4-sized book. Or make it bigger, even!

Spyndel
11-23-2008, 07:52 AM
Ripped directly from the FAQ::

Yeah, but if I choose a much wider aspect ratio, its only going to "fill" an A4 sheet lengthwise, with a bunch of dead space at the top and bottom. Is that cool?

paperclip
11-23-2008, 08:13 AM
I can't see why it wouldn't be fine- a lot of concept art has the 'widescreen' look anyway. They seem pretty flexible about it, but maybe someone who has more authority can chime in on this matter?

lioration
11-23-2008, 11:58 AM
didn't seem to get it... how do I update my avatar?
Thanks for you help.
Lior

Azrail
11-23-2008, 09:16 PM
Hi there, I've a little question with a sort of long backstory about it:

In my job there are certain periods of many many work to be done, and some of almost complete inactivity. So I decided to make use of it, by working over my challenge entry (Still Image). The only issue is that looking from a certain angle (my employer's) the things I do in my working hours, although considered an educational exersise, are still a copyright property of the company I work in. That's okay but that means I have to put some "(c) Copyright COMPANYNAME" over them.

Q: Is this going to be a problem of some sort? The work will be done entirely by me, only there is going to be this little 'watermark' over my images.

Thanks in advance, and good steam to all ;)!

ThE_JacO
11-23-2008, 10:28 PM
You should check the "EULA" for submissions with your employer's legal department, and at the very least get a project name for your entry and get your employer to sign you a copyright lease/license of use for the material produced if they will have IP ownership.

Balistic doesn't require IP ownership or anything like that, but I think there are clauses to be able to publish your work for promotional material and books if you win something, and if you don't own the copyright you can't manage it, and therefore you can't let anybody use those images without the actual owner's explicit and written permission.
This might complicate the process beyond what a lot of publishers will be inclined to deal with.

In your place I would protect myself by getting your boss to sign you a license of use, even if only for self promotion and non lucrative publication, of the project.

salmonmoose
11-23-2008, 11:52 PM
Yeah, but if I choose a much wider aspect ratio, its only going to "fill" an A4 sheet lengthwise, with a bunch of dead space at the top and bottom. Is that cool?

Yes that's fine.

salmonmoose
11-23-2008, 11:55 PM
hi ^_^
i want delete my Subscribe “Steampunk challenge post (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=278&t=694928)” !
i need start new one !
what i have to do
thanks ^_^

You don't - keep posting your new concepts in that thread - part of the idea of the challenge is that you learn from your own, and other's mistakes, if people get rid of them, it's not as much of a learning experience.

salmonmoose
11-23-2008, 11:59 PM
Hi there, I've a little question with a sort of long backstory about it:

In my job there are certain periods of many many work to be done, and some of almost complete inactivity. So I decided to make use of it, by working over my challenge entry (Still Image). The only issue is that looking from a certain angle (my employer's) the things I do in my working hours, although considered an educational exersise, are still a copyright property of the company I work in. That's okay but that means I have to put some "(c) Copyright COMPANYNAME" over them.

Q: Is this going to be a problem of some sort? The work will be done entirely by me, only there is going to be this little 'watermark' over my images.

Thanks in advance, and good steam to all ;)!

I would ask your work if they'd be happy with you mentioning them in your text only - whilst we don't have any rules against watermarks (although you MUST have rights to use an image) the water marks won't work in your favor when it comes to judging.

Samran
11-24-2008, 09:57 AM
You don't - keep posting your new concepts in that thread - part of the idea of the challenge is that you learn from your own, and other's mistakes, if people get rid of them, it's not as much of a learning experience.

thanks for your reply

Kinanh
11-24-2008, 03:57 PM
Hello .....
I have Question ...
Where I Can Find Some Help About FTP And When Time Come To upload My Final Image ....
Is This Done By FTP Or By Upload Final Image Page.....

Really Guys....God Mercy Old Days When Just Simple clicks And The Job iS Done

Now You Must Read . Read And Read :love: ....And Go From Certain Page To Another..And From That Another To Also Another Page ...And After While You Find Your Self In First Page That You Have been Visited :banghead: .....

It Is Joke (The Orange Words Not The Green )

Iam Just frustrated

JrGraphic
11-24-2008, 05:35 PM
Eu tenho uma questão

Precisa ser obrigatoriamente um mito ou uma lenda ???
tpw, eu posso criar meu próprio mito e uma imagem sobre ele???

Obrigado e abraços
:)

paperclip
11-24-2008, 06:20 PM
Hi there, Kinamh--

Don't worry about uploading the FTP image, it's actually pretty simple. What you do is you zip up your image nice and tight, then when you go to submit your final image, you'll be given an ftp link, an username and password all on one page along with a link that you click.

Click the link, put in the username and password, then...wait for it...

A blank page will pop up. Drag your zipped file onto the blank space. It'll automagically upload. (Word to the wise, if for some reason it doesn't work with firefox, try internet explorer...seems to work better for whatever reason)

If it doesn't work...then you'll have to get yourself an FTP uploader and follow similar steps. I use CuteFTP (mostly because I liked the name, haha).

Worry about it in February...just don't try to upload the hour before the deadline!

Hope this helps...

paperclip
11-24-2008, 06:25 PM
Eu tenho uma questão

Precisa ser obrigatoriamente um mito ou uma lenda ???
tpw, eu posso criar meu próprio mito e uma imagem sobre ele???

Obrigado e abraços
:)

Lamentamos, mas sim, uma necessidade deve ser conhecido mito ou lenda. Qual é tpw?

...and there my portugese knowledge ends. Anyone else here speak portugese?

JrGraphic
11-24-2008, 06:54 PM
paperclip (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=92679)

Thanks for the information
and sorry for post in portuguese
but my english is very bad , hehe x) !

se ya

salmonmoose
11-25-2008, 05:34 AM
Hello .....
I have Question ...
Where I Can Find Some Help About FTP And When Time Come To upload My Final Image ....
Is This Done By FTP Or By Upload Final Image Page.....

Really Guys....God Mercy Old Days When Just Simple clicks And The Job iS Done

Now You Must Read . Read And Read :love: ....And Go From Certain Page To Another..And From That Another To Also Another Page ...And After While You Find Your Self In First Page That You Have been Visited :banghead: .....

It Is Joke (The Orange Words Not The Green )

Iam Just frustrated

Some time when I'm ready to deal with final image submissions, I will put together a how-to with pictures and everything.

I'll use Filezilla, because it's FREE and available for the 3 major platforms (Linux, Windows, Mac).

Kinanh
11-25-2008, 06:47 AM
paperclip Thanks Alooooooooooooooot .......:thumbsup:

salmonmoose Yes It Will Be Great Thing ... Especially If Explain Supported With Picture..Thanksssssssss

lioration
11-25-2008, 08:19 AM
Need a little help- when I publish an update on my challenge threads, the avatar should get updated with the newest drawing. for some reason it's not happening.
I tried to change to code line, but it didn't worked out. how do I make it happen?
LIOR

paperclip
11-25-2008, 09:00 AM
Are you posting updates using an image host or through the challenge page?

lioration
11-25-2008, 10:39 AM
Hi Paperclip
I am using an image host, which obviously, seems to be the wrong way.
How do I upload a picture direct from my computer onto challenge page? I looked around but didn't seem to find away. god... I feel like a complete Neanderthal. :banghead:

Are you posting updates using an image host or through the challenge page?

Spyndel
11-25-2008, 11:29 AM
Hi Paperclip
I am using an image host, which obviously, seems to be the wrong way.
How do I upload a picture direct from my computer onto challenge page? I looked around but didn't seem to find away. god... I feel like a complete Neanderthal. :banghead:

Submit Milestones and progress pics here:

paperclip
11-25-2008, 11:49 AM

Bookmark that link! You can also find this on the MAIN challenge page, under 'Submit entry' on the left hand side.

musi
11-25-2008, 03:07 PM
Themes:

Any myth/legend/story/faery tale/rhyme - whatever... if its more then 50 years old its probably in the public domain and you are completely free to use it.

We know it may be obvious from the post 129, but...

Our team is thinking to use The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway - written in 1951 published in 1952, 57 years old story, but we are still in doubt if this story is allowed.

And what about The Little Prince (French: Le Petit Prince), by Antoine de Saint Exupéry, published in 1943 - 65 years old.

Sorry for being annoying, but we want to be sure!

Thanks!

Kirt
11-25-2008, 04:44 PM
We know it may be obvious from the post 129, but...

Our team is thinking to use The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway - written in 1951 published in 1952, 57 years old story, but we are still in doubt if this story is allowed.

And what about The Little Prince (French: Le Petit Prince), by Antoine de Saint Exupéry, published in 1943 - 65 years old.

Sorry for being annoying, but we want to be sure!

Thanks!I'm fairly certain that the question was answered in the quote that you provided in your post.

Themes:

Just remember that the theme is of Myth and Legends. If the story you are using has no element of mythic or legendary events/characters then you may expect the judges to favor someone else's entry over yours (regardless of skill involved). Just so you know.

musi
11-25-2008, 05:30 PM
I'm fairly certain that the question was answered in the quote that you provided in your post.

Just remember that the theme is of Myth and Legends. If the story you are using has no element of mythic or legendary events/characters then you may expect the judges to favor someone else's entry over yours (regardless of skill involved). Just so you know.

In http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Old_Man_and_the_Sea it stays:
"The Old Man and the Sea is a novella (just over 100 pages in length) by Ernest Hemingway, written in Cuba in 1951 and published in 1952. It was the last major work of fiction to be produced by Hemingway and published in his lifetime."

So I guess it's O.K. to use it :)

Thanks Kirt!

Gopez
11-26-2008, 03:52 PM
I want to base my submission on my own story but loosely related to St. George and his dragonslaying. Can I do this?

IdeasWithBadBreath
11-26-2008, 09:50 PM
HEy! I'm in the individual image competition and am also in the team video comp too. Our team is basing the video on my concept. I was wondering if I could pose our character model for reference if I worked on half (mechanical part) of the 3d model and one of my teammates worked on the other half (the organic part)?

Thanks for your time,

Fronc

musi
11-27-2008, 01:42 PM
One of my team members have never received his invitation, and therefore can't accept it.

What should we do?

orcun
11-27-2008, 09:20 PM
Hi, I have a question about submitting.

I have no time for now and can't submiting milestones frequently, but I plan to take a vacation and focus the challenge. Is it ok to submit nothing excluding a two weeks period and submit several milestones everyday for these 2 weeks?

lioration
11-27-2008, 11:12 PM

I thought I got it, but here I am once again. I am trying to change the challenge avatar & the Thread top, so it will keep updating along with me. I downloaded the cg uploader, and it's worked just fine... the only problem is that the file was loaded into my regular gallery, and not into the steampunk Thread.
I tried to replace the code line in called: "Latest Update: Concept / pre-visualization: pinocchio"- but the avatar stayes the same as it was- showing the first drawing I published.
Maybe I messed it up while trying. If someone can help me out, I'll be grateful .

My Thread is: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=278&t=699393

Thanks
Lior

khendar
11-27-2008, 11:25 PM
One of my team members have never received his invitation, and therefore can't accept it.

What should we do?

Get your team member to check their email spam boxes as the email may have been junked by mistake. Also make sure that they check the right email address - it will be the one their cgtalk account is registered with.

I'll have a look into a way to sent them their invite links again in the meantime.