PDA

View Full Version : lifting a heavy object - character animation

maxspider3000
11-05-2008, 11:38 AM
an animation test for a character lifting a heavy object, my second character animation ever... I used 3ds max for that one ...
hope to know your comments

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zC7Defx_pk

http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=134741&stc=1

Frogman
11-05-2008, 10:22 PM
Good start here!

Try giving him a some anticipation to picking up the weight - generally the heavier the weight the bigger the anticipation.

His feet are floating around in the begining - keep them planted or take into account that he is taking a step (shifting his weight to the weight bearing leg and firmly planting the stepping one, etc.).

I like the little steps he does to center himself after he has lifted the weight - good choice. When he goes up though, the action feels a bit even. Try driving upward with the legs first before straightening out his back.

Try and have an exact idea of how much the ball actually weighs. Is it a 15 lb bowling ball, a mini fridge, or a sandbag? If you know how much the object weighs, it will inform the animation. Keep going and you'll have this down.

maxspider3000
11-06-2008, 03:40 AM
thanks a lot Scott, really thats some good comments you put here ... I guess I knew what is truly wrong with that animation from your advices

thanks again :)

- Yusuf

robcat2075
11-10-2008, 07:11 PM
I second the comments above and would add that the heavy ball seems to move instantaneously when he pulls on it. That makes it look light. Needs some slow-out.

The more that ball doesn't move while his body pulls on it, the heavier it will look.

also I'd expect it to slide along the ground until he got it directly beneath him and all of his force is directed upwards.

As it is the ball is in the air with horizontal momentum, then stops horizontal motion for no reason. We don't see any force he's applied to keep that thing from sailing back between his legs :shrug:

Also if you post in Quicktime, it's easier for people to ananlyze your motion. QT is easy to scrub, Youtube doesn't scrub at all.

CGTalk Moderation
11-10-2008, 07:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.