PDA

View Full Version : question about rigging

maclyag
11-05-2008, 01:35 AM
I was checking out a reel from MPC about harry potter and the prisioner of azkaban where they show peter pettigrew's transformation from rat to human, they showed a greyscale model of a rat morphing into a greyscale human and I was wondering how do you make rigging for a model that is supposed to change it's proportions?; I'm talking about arm's lengh compaired to the head,size of the head,number of fingers, if you loose a tail along the way(that part didn't show on the video but still) do you make the bones or different parts of the skeleton change aswell? I mean 2d morphing has its limits and it didn't look to me as if they used it other than to change from cg to actor

it's the prisoner of azkaban reel at www.moving-picture.com

twedzel
11-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Usually a take like that is a one off. You don't design a standard animation rig to be able to do the entire transformation but you make a specialized rig or two or three to do what you need the geo to do, add duct tape and spackle in 3D, and then do a lot of blending fixing in comp.

MikeRhone
11-05-2008, 11:16 PM
I'm working on exactly that type effect right now. Twezdel has it right; its a lot of cg duct-tape on a shot like that. Without having seen the shot you are speaking of, it was probably a rigged model for both Harry Potter and the Rat, a lot of morphing/sculpts/lattices/blendshapes/scaling/translating joints as are needed. Maybe some model swapping and a lot of massaging in comp (using elastic reality or similar). Grab a couple of pots of coffee and a talented crew that understands what looks 'cool' in the mix and buhzam; Shot done.

CGTalk Moderation
11-05-2008, 11:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.