PDA

View Full Version : Character Limb Rig (Maya)

coolian
11-04-2008, 10:31 PM
Hi, i want to rig my characters arms and legs to be able to bend in a "U" shape aside from the standard "V" bend at the elbow and knees.

Does anyone know the best way to get this set up?

vddv
11-05-2008, 01:07 PM
instead of 2 bones, put more bones like 4 or 6.

mberglund
11-05-2008, 01:46 PM
checkout the ribbon spine, it can be applied to bendy arms and legs. or splineIK.

coolian
11-06-2008, 04:32 AM
instead of 2 bones, put more bones like 4 or 6.

i dont want it to ALWAYS be bendy, i want to be able to blend from a normal 2 bone leg to a 4 bone leg.

MolemanSD7
11-07-2008, 06:07 PM
make all the legs four bones, just make them behave like 2....
or just have the ribbon affect the geometry as another level of controls.

coolian
11-07-2008, 06:36 PM
make all the legs four bones, just make them behave like 2....
or just have the ribbon affect the geometry as another level of controls.

thanks for the reply. Im not familiar with the ribbon affect. does anyone have a good resource for learning more about that?

mberglund
11-07-2008, 06:39 PM
Aaron Holly teaches the Ribbon spine, which he also applies to the arms and legs on top of the skin bones.

http://www.fahrenheitdigital.com/

They are really good DVD's!

MolemanSD7
11-07-2008, 09:02 PM
yup....basically its constraining joints to a nurbs mesh, then using other joints to deform the nurbs mesh, in turn moving the joints that are constrained to the mesh. Hehe...confusing enough... its like this:

Controller Joints
.......|---> nurbs mesh
...........|--->joints that affect the skin.

Its a pretty simple setup, but seems to work well. The joints that are an influence on the skin of the character are constrained to the surface of the nurbs 'ribbon', with is skinned to control joints that manipulate the ribbon.

But yeah, the dvd's are good...check'em out if you can.

Boucha
11-08-2008, 12:48 AM
Or you could also use a long joint chain (5-10) for example for the upper arm and the lower arm. Create a spline ik for the joint chain. Skin the spline curve to the respective upper and lower arm. You could then move the CVs (or controls) of the curve for bendy effect or do a quick sdk. You could also easily create twist effect...by working on advance twist...

CGTalk Moderation
11-08-2008, 12:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.