PDA

View Full Version : Unwanted deformation with Rigid Bind

Humorous03
11-04-2008, 07:17 PM
I have a bipedal character rig whose legs can switch between FK and IK. When I made the foot roll for the left foot there weren't any strange deformations, but when I made the foot roll for the right foot, the toe object squishes. I repeated the same steps for each leg and aren't sure why this is happening. I tried looking at the weights for the rig, but Maya crashed, so I figured that wasn't going to help.

I looked at flexors, but I've never really used them before, so I'm not sure if they'd make a good fix.

I suppose I could always re-bind the polys with a soft bind and paint the weights to mimic a rigid bind.

What's the best way to proceed?

Thanks for the help!

arctor
11-04-2008, 10:08 PM
don't bother with binding...just parent the geometry to the correct bones

Humorous03
11-05-2008, 05:50 AM
Edit > Parent or Parent Constrain?

arctor
11-05-2008, 04:21 PM
er...I don't use Maya so I don't know...shouldn't matter....
try both and see what happens :)

Humorous03
11-06-2008, 06:38 PM
I tried to just parent each mesh object individually, but it didn't work. So, I just did a soft bind and painted the weights to mimic a rigid bind, which fixed the toe squishing problem.

Unfortunately, the heel of the foot now rotates weirdly. When I rotate the X axis of the Ankle joint the heel geometry seems to rotate along the Y axis without the value of Rotate Y changing. I'm wondering if it'd because of the way I painted the weights, or is it some glitch?

CGTalk Moderation
11-06-2008, 06:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.