PDA

View Full Version : mirror weights in xsi 7?

eldee
11-04-2008, 04:51 PM
Is there an obvious way to do it in xsi 7 that I'm missing? 6.5 had a script to mirror weights, but it's not available in 7 (either that or i'm missing it)- what's the easiest way to mirror envelope weights in v7?

ThE_JacO
11-04-2008, 10:37 PM
no need for a script, it's been in the basic app forever.
You create a symmetry mapping template, then you select points on a mesh you want to mirror, and use animation>envelope>mirror weights.
The manual contains all further wisdom needed to use those tools :)

eldee
11-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Well, the script I'm referring to goes based on topological tangent symmetry versus an arbitrary symmetry model. IE) the bones don't have to be named using a symmetrical convention, and the geometry itself doesn't need to be posed symmetrically.

I'd actually forgotten about the default mirror weights, but after you mentioned it I just zero'd out my rig and used that instead

but I still prefer the script that came with 6.5 :)

tuna
11-07-2008, 06:23 PM
The mesh doesn't have to be posed symmetrically for mirror weights to work, since it will take que from the modelling construction level and not the animation mode. The symmetry mapping template can be built any way you want (although the automatic generation isn't name based either, I think it's spacial).

So you should't have to zero out the pose for the mirror weights to work.

CGTalk Moderation
11-07-2008, 06:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.