PDA

View Full Version : Gnomon School of Visual FX

jcdunn
11-04-2008, 08:20 AM
Few questions about Gnomon School of Visual FX to anyone who has gone?

What classes did you take?

Did you take the High-End CG certificate program? If so, was it worth the money (45k) and do you have a portfolio of your work there)

The High-End CG certificate seems to be a prerequisite to all the classes I want to take, so my question is if it is a class the starts from the basics (or so it seems; correct me if I am wrong), why would a portfolio with your admission be necessary?

How was the housing pricing around the area of the school and did the School help you find housing?

And last but certainly not least... Did you have fun and find the instructors to be extremely knowledgeable a.k.a did they meet the standards of professionals in the industry (which seems to be a huge selling point) or did they surpass your expectations because I know mine are high.

P.S. any reviews from any students, past or present would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

SanjayChand
11-04-2008, 08:35 AM
What classes did you take?
Alot of them.

Did you take the High-End CG certificate program?
yep.

If so, was it worth the money (45k)
yep.

and do you have a portfolio of your work there)
Everything in my CGSociety Portfolio is student work except my latest creature.

The High-End CG certificate seems to be a prerequisite to all the classes I want to take, so my question is if it is a class the starts from the basics (or so it seems; correct me if I am wrong), why would a portfolio with your admission be necessary?
To make sure you have a solid artistic understanding (beginner level) and a somewhat developed eye. Anyone can be a button pusher, and thats not what Gnomon wants.

How was the housing pricing around the area of the school and did the School help you find housing?
Housing can be as cheap as $900 in some kind of dumpy places and well over $1600 for a pretty nice place. They will provide you with the names of students who are looking for roomates. Its quite easy to get a two bedroom and share it with two or three other people while at Gnomon.

And last but certainly not least... Did you have fun and find the instructors to be extremely knowledgeable a.k.a did they meet the standards of professionals in the industry (which seems to be a huge selling point) or did they surpass your expectations because I know mine are high
Most instructors were great, and as with all schools, some instructors were better than others.

Stonepilot
11-04-2008, 07:00 PM
I agree with what the previous post said.
I think like most people going to school we just don't have 45K we can just blow. I personally think it was the best investment i could have made. Above all you're the one that has to be dedicated to it. School can only give you the tools.

aryaFX, Awesome porfolio by way.

SanjayChand
11-05-2008, 08:04 AM
Thanks Stonepilot. :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
11-05-2008, 08:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.