PDA

View Full Version : Gobos in Maya - please help!

zenkatydid
11-04-2008, 04:33 AM
I have a spotlight with which I want to project a specific shadow shape. But no matter what settings I fiddle with, I simply CANNOT get the shadow (a jpeg image) to project correctly. I just want my jpeg to appear in the centre of the spotlight, and it won't! It's like the size of the image is wrong or something. Is there a specific image size I should use? If not, how do I scale the image to the spotlight size?

jeremybirn
11-04-2008, 06:12 AM
I have a spotlight with which I want to project a specific shadow shape. But no matter what settings I fiddle with, I simply CANNOT get the shadow (a jpeg image) to project correctly. I just want my jpeg to appear in the centre of the spotlight, and it won't! It's like the size of the image is wrong or something. Is there a specific image size I should use? If not, how do I scale the image to the spotlight size?

Don't use a projection or anything, just map a normal 2D file texture to the spotlight's color. The size of the image will exactly fill the size of the cone. If you make the cone angle bigger or smaller, the map will get bigger and smaller with it.

If you use a penumbra angle to make a soft edge, that should be a negative number, so that you don't expand outwards from the cone and reveal a repeat of the map.

If you want the image smaller than the spotlight's cone, you can use the 2D placement parameters.

-jeremy

zenkatydid
11-04-2008, 06:39 AM
sorry, that's what i'm doing now. mapping the colour to a file. but the file seems to be enormous - the spotlight is only displaying a tiny part of the file by default.

jeremybirn
11-04-2008, 08:33 AM
So:
Create > Lights > Spot Light
Open Attribute editor
Click mapping icon to right of Color parameter
Make sure "With new texture placement" is checked, and "Normal" is selected under 2D Textures
Click File
Browse for the image
Render and the image fills the spotlight cone. If you make the cone bigger or smaller, the image changes size with it.

Hope this helps,

-jeremy

zenkatydid
11-04-2008, 11:59 AM
yep, that's exactly what i've done. i've just gone through the same steps again, as you wrote them, and still have the same problem. is there some setting hidden anywhere that affects these things? is a jpeg an acceptable file format? any other file format issues/requirements?

thanks heaps for your help!

jeremybirn
11-04-2008, 03:32 PM
yep, that's exactly what i've done. i've just gone through the same steps again, as you wrote them, and still have the same problem. is there some setting hidden anywhere that affects these things? is a jpeg an acceptable file format? any other file format issues/requirements?

thanks heaps for your help!

I just did these things as I wrote them in Maya 2008, using a jpg file as the texture, and it works for me. I don't think that the shape/size of the file matters much, although you could try a different file if you want. If you started with a new spot light, then other options on the light should be at the same defaults as my light. I hope there isn't anything special about the scene (the surface receiving the light, other lights in the scene, etc.) that gives you different results. If the default size matching the cone angle isn't working for you in some way, you could still try adjusting the 2D placement parameters of the file texture. This is something I've done many times, I'm sorry if what I'm posting isn't helping for some reason.

-jeremy

zenkatydid
11-05-2008, 01:23 AM
who knows what i'm doing wrong. thanks for your help, anyway, i'll keep trying :)

CGTalk Moderation
11-05-2008, 01:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.