PDA

View Full Version : correct particle orientation

darknight007
11-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Hello everyone. I have a particle that is traveling towards a surface and needs to orient itself properly before landing. Allan Mckay has helped me use a technique where the particle begins its rotation once it lands on the surface which is wonderful but I was wondering if this rotation could happen in the air before it lands. From what I understand, standard pflow cannot do this and I will need box set 3 or use scripting. Could anyone describe the process of scripting or what in box set 3 is useful for this? and even if possible, some code required for scripting. I have attached an image to explain. Any sort of helpful insight would be appreciated. Thanks and peace

aye_captain
11-04-2008, 07:30 AM
Maybe you could add a deflector above the surface with a collision operator that trigger the rotation before the particles land on to the surface.

darknight007
11-04-2008, 02:48 PM
That's a great idea captain. that would be a possible solution. I was wondering how I would go about this if It required hundreds of particles to begin rotating. I'm sorry I should have mentioned that before. But thank you for your response
chrome://dictionarytip/skin/book.png

aye_captain
11-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Check the attached file. I hope this will solve a bit of your problem.

darknight007
11-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Thank you very much Captain! It does help to recognize how I could use a deflector to initiat the rotation.However my example is a little different. check it out. I've attached a simple file. they pretty much need to float towards this planet object and turn the tails towards the surface. Do you have any idea how to avoid particles entering thru the sphere to attached towards the other side? I know how to use script vector to land at certain points on a surface, however I am stumped with correct orientation.

aye_captain
11-05-2008, 12:59 AM
Hmm... somehow I think this Allan Mckay's tutorial of rain drops might help you: http://www.allanmckay.com/tut/waterdrop_tut.avi

It makes the particles travel along the surface of a sphere, and not through the sphere.

darknight007
11-05-2008, 03:25 PM
Thanks Captain. I will check it out and let you know how the quest to get these particles comes along. Much appreciated.

PsychoSilence
11-06-2008, 05:33 PM
might give that a shot?

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=5476970&postcount=12

kind regards,
anselm

CGTalk Moderation
11-06-2008, 05:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.