PDA

View Full Version : Left 4 Dead Intro Cinematic

RobertoOrtiz
11-02-2008, 11:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGIiYL8paIk&eurl=http://www.joystiq.com/2008/11/01/left-4-dead-intro-cinematic-blows-minds-eats-them/

eek
11-02-2008, 11:50 PM
saw it earlier today over at 3dtotal - very nice! Might pick this one up, when it comes out.

heavyness
11-03-2008, 12:07 AM
can't watch game opening cinematic on youtube...

in HD...
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42271.html?type=flv

i can't wait for this game! i love me my zombie games and the co-op in this sounds sooooooo fun!

P_T
11-03-2008, 12:11 AM
I don't know what the deal is but COD: World at War supposed to come with very similar mode, four player coop survival mode where you can hole up in a room and barricade it and basically hold off wave after wave of nazi zombies for as long as possible.

Best bit,
"We made it!! I can't believe we made it!!!"

"We've only crossed the road son.":D

Grgeon
11-03-2008, 12:39 AM
great camera work and editing.

Valve made their own cinematics correct?

-GC

Kirt
11-03-2008, 01:21 AM
Players on Steam can download the HD version of this.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/5141/

It's awesome!

WillRyan
11-03-2008, 03:33 AM
Some of the most expressive character models with a lot of great facial animation going on here! Top quality across the board: some of the best lighting and camera direction as well. Love that silhouette shot of the zombie falling off the roof and catching himself!

SheepFactory
11-03-2008, 03:59 AM
This will be the first PC game I buy in years. I cant wait to play it.

DuttyFoot
11-03-2008, 04:12 AM
I don't know what the deal is but COD: World at War supposed to come with very similar mode, four player coop survival mode where you can hole up in a room and barricade it and basically hold off wave after wave of nazi zombies for as long as possible.
i heard about this with COD:World at War also. I dont think its a main part of the game though.

Sonk
11-03-2008, 05:30 AM
Already pre-ordered this game, see you guys online! :D Maybe someone can start a Left4Dead cgtalk group?

ragdoll
11-03-2008, 05:33 AM
valve sure knows how to make great cinematics...and shooter games. :D

ThomasMahler
11-03-2008, 06:22 AM
This was very well done - it'd be so easy to create something cheesy and boring, but this was very well executed.

AeronMiles
11-03-2008, 06:43 AM
I love valve! By far the most innovative games studio.

bigbad
11-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Is this in-game intro or separate render?

leigh
11-03-2008, 09:55 AM
Definitely looking forward to this one!

TBart
11-03-2008, 01:05 PM
This looks like pure FUN. The zombie that jumps from the building after the helicopter flies by reminds me of XSI hoodie man, you know, after Autodesk mutates him.

INFINITE
11-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Wow very cool cinematic, quite basic looking but very engaging story and themes! :applause:

vfx
11-03-2008, 02:38 PM
As cheesy as the first Resident Evil was.. it had me on the edge of my seat... this certainly looks to capture that primary experience all over again. I found the cinematic a little too dark at times to appreciate what was being shown on screen, but the chaos - wow what REM!

DuttyFoot
11-03-2008, 03:02 PM
been watching the trailer in hd on gametrailer and its really good. i would love to play this when it comes out. good scare

This looks like pure FUN. The zombie that jumps from the building after the helicopter flies by reminds me of XSI hoodie man, you know, after Autodesk mutates him.

haha its a funny thing you mentioned that, the same thing crossed my mind when i saw it.

richcz3
11-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Versus Mode lets you compete four-on-four with friends, playing as a human trying to get rescued, or as a zombie boss monster that will stop at nothing to destroy them.
Yep - just updated my accounts with the pre-orders. 4 vs.4 at the household for the holidays :twisted: Nov 6 can't come soon enough.

kelgy
11-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Great job. I liked the expressions and character types: the seasoned military guy, the biker, the straight arrow shirt and tie guy...
Was a bit dark but I was able to frame by frame the bulky creature to get a better look at it.

mccg
11-03-2008, 04:14 PM
great animations.
Turtle Rock Studios started this project, but the whole studio became part of valve.

Sonk
11-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Versus Mode lets you compete four-on-four with friends, playing as a human trying to get rescued, or as a zombie boss monster that will stop at nothing to destroy them.
Yep - just updated my accounts with the pre-orders. 4 vs.4 at the household for the holidays :twisted: Nov 6 can't come soon enough.

you have 8 computers at home? *shock*

vfx
11-03-2008, 09:38 PM
you have 8 computers at home? *shock*

Umm I heard the creators spent ages working the multiplayer split screen mode.. I believe you can have up to 4 players per machine. Correct me if I'm wrong.. but I'm sure this is correct as I was impressed given the fact that so many games lack this feature with the current gen games.

Venkman
11-03-2008, 10:13 PM
I thought that cinematic was extremely hectic and crazy. The use of silhouettes was extremely effective, especially as the enter and exit doors. I think special attention was paid to to framing the characters as they enter areas- the volumetric light of a character in the background would sometimes help a character in the foreground.

The gunplay was fantastic, and there are some scenes where you can still see the white parts of the survivor's eyes as they are tackled by zombies.

(begin OT)

vfx -

On the 360, you can do splitscreen with 2 players only. You can play splitscreen co-op with bots filling the other two roles, or you can take the splitscreen game online and find another two people (two individual players or two people splitting another screen on another 360) to do the single player campaign.

Splitscreen deathmatch works like Halo, I think. Two can split, both play online.

It's unclear of the PC has split screen or not, but is that common at all in the PC gaming world? I'm more of console guy. ;)

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53625

(end OT)

P_T
11-03-2008, 11:56 PM
It's unclear of the PC has split screen or not, but is that common at all in the PC gaming world? I'm more of console guy. ;)No it's not common at all. I supposed it's possible if one uses the keyboard+mouse while the other uses a joypad controller.

Sonk
11-04-2008, 01:48 AM
Umm I heard the creators spent ages working the multiplayer split screen mode.. I believe you can have up to 4 players per machine. Correct me if I'm wrong.. but I'm sure this is correct as I was impressed given the fact that so many games lack this feature with the current gen games.

I know they implemented split screen for the console version, don't think there will be any split screen for the PC. Maybe Rich is getting the console version or he really does have 8 computers at home?

@Venkman, yeah split screen wont really work since your limited to one keyboard/mouse unless your playing with bots,but that defeats the purpose of having split screen in the first place.

I still like the original player models :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:L4DP.JPG

heavyness
11-04-2008, 04:00 AM
if anyone is looking for a good zombie graphic novel, The Walking Dead (http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-Book-Nos-13-24/dp/1582406987/ref=pd_sim_b_1) is a great read.

richcz3
11-04-2008, 04:43 AM
I know they implemented split screen for the console version, don't think there will be any split screen for the PC. Maybe Rich is getting the console version or he really does have 8 computers at home?...Yeah, there are 8+ rigs here. When we sold the business I opted not to get another office. Good advice taken for a number of reasons.

I can only speak for myself, but the XBox 360 doesn't do Valve games justice. Their Source games are best played on the PC. Plus you get all the extra downloads on the PC versions for free :thumbsup:.

R10k
11-04-2008, 06:19 AM
I can only speak for myself, but the XBox 360 doesn't do Valve games justice.

You're speaking for me, too. It's mousie all the way for me.

P_T
11-04-2008, 12:29 PM
You're speaking for me, too. It's mousie all the way for me.As if there's ever any contest. :buttrock:

angelo80
11-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Great!. This company are amacing.

Doug816
11-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Some of the most expressive character models with a lot of great facial animation going on here! Top quality across the board: some of the best lighting and camera direction as well.

Can you post the link to the video you saw? The one at the top of the thread is nothing like that.

richcz3
11-06-2008, 10:46 PM
Anyone playing the demo?
In all honesty, Zombie-fests aren't my thing, but the first few run ins I've had are great! but....

On the down side: No server browser?!?!
Peer to Peer player match ala Console. What the ... was Valve thinking? :argh:
I hope they get things screwed on straight and getting a LAN going doesn't require jumping through hoops. From the brief time I've had with the demo. I Cant wait to get the 4vs4 way going.

Venkman
11-07-2008, 11:45 PM
Someone has instructions for getting it running in splitscreen on the PC:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=745113

Pretty impressive. You may need to have one player using an Xbox 360 controller. Small price to pay, though. :)

Lunatique
11-08-2008, 04:07 AM
if anyone is looking for a good zombie graphic novel, The Walking Dead (http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-Book-Nos-13-24/dp/1582406987/ref=pd_sim_b_1) is a great read.

The artwork doesn't really do it for me. I prefer to actually read a good zombie novel. The best ones I've read so far are Day-By-Day Armagedeon and World War Z. Dying to Live was pretty good as well, but the beginning of the book was better as the tone changed later on.

richcz3
11-08-2008, 09:26 PM
Valve heard the community and responded lightning quick! (http://www.left4dead411.com/news/2008/11/server-browser-available/)
Console command - openserverbrowser - gives you the ability to join any game in progress you want. :cool: Looks like Valve saw the bit-o-furor in forums and added it with the last update.

CGTalk Moderation
11-08-2008, 09:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.