PDA

View Full Version : Workflow

bobzilla
06-12-2003, 08:02 PM
If you model, bone, and weight in your main 3D app (Lightwave, or whatever) and rig in MB, how do you check the weighting in your model if you don't rig it? How can you move move the limbs around to check the weighting if it's not rigged?

Sil3
06-12-2003, 08:09 PM
I think u answered the question yourself :)

You must test Weighs and deformations BEFORE you start adding IKs and so on, nevertheless, after you have animated your character in MB, when you open the FBX in Layout the bones are still there (this is the one of the BEAUTYS of MB), if u notice bad deformations, just open the object in Modeler and take care of those Weights or just add extra place bones in Layout.

bobzilla
06-12-2003, 08:13 PM
Well, I'm using Cinema 4D which will evntually have the FBX plugin, but I imagine the workflow would be the same.

So you bone, weight send to MB, rig, bring back to original software, fix weights, go back to MB and animate??

Sil3
06-12-2003, 08:27 PM
Nope, you check if the model deforms correctly before exporting to MB, like rotate the Leg Bone and see if it deforms properly and so on, until u r satisfied with the deformations, then u Export it to MB and animate at will :)

bobzilla
06-12-2003, 09:16 PM
Isn't it difficult to check say how a leg with the thigh and calf are deforming along wioth the foot, if you don't have IK set up?

uncommongrafx
06-13-2003, 04:20 PM
I stumbled upon the fact it can be after the fact.
That is to say, you can fix things as soon as they come back in the feeding program.
For me, in lw, I can re-weight after an fbx merge. Even muck with the bones.
Also, I've surmised that one could follow a point in Timothy Albee's book: Make some animation to use for checking deformation. When the anim is smooth amongst the joints, you are good to go.

I've not had it long enough, but MB seems you can have your choice as to how you approach this.

Hookflash
06-15-2003, 08:14 PM
Can't you just import a mesh and do *all* the rigging (including boning, weighting, etc.) with MB?

uncommongrafx
06-15-2003, 08:25 PM
yup.
Seems you can do the kind of rigging you would do in your favorite app. Reverse foot setups, too.

bobzilla
06-15-2003, 08:41 PM
There's been so many questions lately about what MB can and can't do. I guess most people weren't interested since it used to cost $4000 and in my case, it didn't run on a Mac. I work in Cinema 4D which currently doesn't have the FBX plugin, but will soon. There seems to be a lot of conflicting info on what exactly you do in your main app and what you do in MB. I would guess you have to do all your muscle sims and stuff in your main app. Hopefully someone will post the diffinitive "this is what you do" workflow at some point to clear up some of the confusion.

uncommongrafx
06-15-2003, 08:53 PM
I rather doubt info of years of experience is going to be that readily forthcoming. It's a pretty niche program.

That said, it's a mighty powerful program. It IS a 3d app. Period. I think some will figure out how to do muscles within the app; others will opt for it after the fact. Add to the tips section if you can.

Truly, lots of us Newbies running around. Today, I got a mocap onto my skeleton as well as some facial action. Fcurve copy & paste from one take to another.
Walkin' and talkin' in 4 days. Pretty impressive.
Rambling on, I just wish someone would offer a more comprehensive take on constraints and how to best(?) use them.
I'm done.

bobzilla
06-15-2003, 08:58 PM
3D Buzz has a constraint tutorial on their site and Digit had it on their CD lat month. Well, I'm in the US, so it's the issue before the actual Motionbuilder issue. We get Digit about a month late.

I'm going to play around with it a little before I fork over more money for the next great thing. I have until December, I believe...

Triple G
06-17-2003, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by bobzilla
Hopefully someone will post the diffinitive "this is what you do" workflow at some point to clear up some of the confusion.

That's just the thing...Motionbuilder's flexible enough so that you don't have to stick to one single "approved" workflow. You can do all your bones and weighting in your main app, or you can just bring in a mesh and do it all within Motionbuilder...whatever you feel more comfortable with. Motionbuilder does support things like morph targets/blend shapes, but if you'd rather do them after the fact in your main app, you can do that too. It currently doesn't support things like soft-body dynamics, so that's one thing you'd have to do after the fact, back in your main app. You'll probably also want to do your texturing/lighting/rendering in your main app, since MB currently does not support any kind of projection mapping or procedural textures...only UV maps. It's capable of some fairly nice-looking output, but if you need realism or complex raytracing, you're much better off with your main app.

I can't wait to see what the future holds with v5! :airguitar

Nemoid
06-17-2003, 06:53 PM
Xcuse me for posting here.

i was wondering about MB template character skeletons design. i always see that they seem to have the head control at the center of the head.
so is this bone ending at the centre of the head ?i have strange deformations in the head area, when moving my char so i was wondering if positioning of this bone can cause probs to me.
i made my skelegon by changing the predefined skel posted in this forum, and it works well, but the prob in the head.

also i was wondering about weight maps and if MB recognize the lw weight maps. and what i have to do to apply them, to complete my rig.

thanx in advance.

Triple G
06-17-2003, 07:33 PM
Nemoid,

The exact positioning of your skelegons shouldn't matter, as long as your weight maps are built and applied properly. All you need to do to get MB to use the weight maps is to make sure you have them applied in Layout before you export to FBX. :)

Nemoid
06-17-2003, 09:39 PM
Thanx Triple Gry will try that.
i'll test my deformations in layout before exporting too to see the results!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.