PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Birn releases new Maya Lighting & Rendering DVD

jeremybirn
11-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Hey Everybody -

I have just released a new training DVD. Lighting & Rendering in Maya: Lights and Shadows (http://www.3drender.com/DVD1/index.htm) is specific to Maya and Mental Ray, and explores all kinds of Maya lighting and shadow techniques. It covers how to light scenes in Maya step-by-step, and explores all kinds of tricks and techniques you can do with lights and shadows in Maya. Click the cover image for more information:

http://www.3drender.com/DVD1/CoverImage.jpg (http://www.3drender.com/DVD1/index.htm)

Hope you like this. You can preview a clip from it on vimeo. I plan to release one of these free video tutorials on vimeo every month, from now on:

http://vimeo.com/2133233

-jeremy

jipe
11-02-2008, 11:48 PM
Looks awesome, Jeremy! What a nice surprise. I learned so darn much from your book, but I lent it to someone a year ago and I think it's gone for good. I may just have to pick up this DVD as a refresher...

DuttyFoot
11-03-2008, 12:06 AM
wow, that little sample video had some good info. I will definately get this dvd.

Grgeon
11-03-2008, 01:22 AM
Looks awesome Jeremy! I've enjoyed your book and I'm sure i'll enjoy the dvd as well.

God Bless,
George

boomji
11-03-2008, 06:50 AM
Good to know Jeremy.
Looks very nice.
Thanks for putting this out.

b

cTennant
11-03-2008, 07:33 AM
Jeremy, I enjoyed your first book and learned a lot and I clearly intend on enjoying this one as well.

abuminalis
11-03-2008, 07:40 AM
Good for maya users...Wouldn't be better to take a more app independent approach so the user could adapt to his own software?

Obraxis
11-03-2008, 08:57 AM
Hey Jeremy, that's great putting up sample videos. It looks great, I'll be buying it as soon as I can afford to :)

Cheers!

thematt
11-03-2008, 09:05 AM
amazon already out of stock :eek:

I guess I'll wait then..heheh.
looks great jeremy.

thanks

Saurus
11-03-2008, 02:47 PM
Your first book was one of my main guide book during my early cg years. Congratulator on your new book!

jeremybirn
11-03-2008, 02:58 PM
jipe, DuttyFoot, Grgeon, boomji, cTennant, Obraxis, Saurus -

Thanks for the replies!

Good for maya users...Wouldn't be better to take a more app independent approach so the user could adapt to his own software?
Yes, that has its advantages. I wrote Digital Lighting & Rendering that way. I'm also releasing this because some people also find videos useful that go through how specific functions and settings work in the software they are actually using. Both kinds of knowledge are important.

amazon already out of stock :eek:
When you list a new self-published title with Amazon, they don't know how many will sell. Some people self-publish titles that don't sell at all. So you can understand why Amazon might seem conservative about how many they get in stock initially, until they get an impression of how many orders come in for the product. They'll have more in stock by the middle of this week, if those haven't sold out before they arrive. :shrug:

-jeremy

ciff
11-03-2008, 04:45 PM
The book was great, definitely want to get this, do you know if it will be made available to the Amazon UK store? cheers, Chris. :D

Bonedaddy
11-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Great job Jeremy! I'm sure it'll sell well.

P.S. I think you should continue to talk about yourself in the third person.

Intervain
11-03-2008, 09:23 PM
ordered and waiting in the wings :D Great to see that!

DuttyFoot
11-03-2008, 09:26 PM
amazon already out of stock
darn it, lol..I knew i should of ordered mine when i saw the post last night. i'll check later to see if it changes.

whalerider
11-04-2008, 12:12 AM
i have the same qeustion.

The book was great, definitely want to get this, do you know if it will be made available to the Amazon UK store? cheers, Chris. :D

rawskull
11-04-2008, 02:49 AM
The book was great ! by the looks of it DVD appears to take it further, just hoping Amazon ships my copy soon enough !

i live in India and its difficult for me to get it shipped directly to me so i have shipped it to a location in US as have some friends traveling from US back to India !!

Really wish amazon sends it by then !

Desperatelylooking forward for it,

Vinod

SanjayChand
11-04-2008, 07:31 AM
Out of stock, but I bought it anyways. Hopefully it will arrive soon.

:buttrock:

XminusOne
11-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Nice work Jeremy, I look forward to the monthly tutorials as well.

wohlstadter
11-05-2008, 11:03 PM
I will be picking up the dvd as well as the book. Great stuff. Thanks for all this :-)

MrPositive
11-06-2008, 09:53 AM
Yes, that has its advantages. I wrote Digital Lighting & Rendering that way. I'm also releasing this because some people also find videos useful that go through how specific functions and settings work in the software they are actually using. Both kinds of knowledge are important.

I agree. Sometimes it's nice to know how to put those beautiful concepts and theories into actual practice. It's great that people understand the physics of light and how it reacts to differing types of surfaces, time of day, weather, and artificial, etc. But if you don't know how to parlay that information over to an actual package like mental ray or what buttons to push of the myriad of options, values, etc. then it was all for naught. There's always two sides to the coin.

jeremybirn
11-10-2008, 01:58 AM

That sounds like a good idea. I'll look into it!

-jeremy

jeremybirn
11-10-2008, 02:04 AM
The book was great ! by the looks of it DVD appears to take it further, just hoping Amazon ships my copy soon enough !

i live in India and its difficult for me to get it shipped directly to me so i have shipped it to a location in US as have some friends traveling from US back to India !!

Really wish amazon sends it by then !

Desperatelylooking forward for it

There's now 2 ways to order: you can still order from amazon, or you can order directly from 3dRender.com:
http://www.3drender.com/DVD1/order.htm
I guarantee that if you order tomorrow, it'll be sent Priority Mail and will reach Southern California very soon. You can quote me on that on the forum. :)

-jeremy

mister3d
11-13-2008, 12:37 AM
This must be a great addition to the book. I'm sure it's useful even if you use another package.

CGTalk Moderation
11-13-2008, 12:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.