PDA

View Full Version : Seamless procedural texture

yakul
11-02-2008, 12:54 PM
I am creatine a tile for my game. That tile needs to be seamless, because I am tiling it next to each other.
I wanted to put crumple on the tile, but I cannot make the crumple seamless.
Is there a plugin or a way to put a crumple like texture and make it seamless?

Thanks.

phamarus
11-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Im sure there is a free plugin somewhere, you have to check..
otherwise this imagesynth tool seems awesome, havenīt tried it thou, specially designed for
creating seamless textures, works as standalone or photoshop plugin.

http://www.luxology.com/whatismodo/imageSynth/

Michael

biliousfrog
11-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Procedurals should be seamless. If you want to get the crumple texture into photoshop then try applying it to a 1m x 1m square and setting the texture to something equally divisable by 1m, eg. 1m x 1m, 50cm x 50cm, 25cm x 25cm etc. Then use the orthographic camera to render the image.

I would guess that the crumple texture is the wrong size for the tile so it's edges aren't in line with the tile's edges. If the tile is at the origin and the crumple texture is an equal fraction of the tile size (ie. half, quarter, eigth, tenth etc.) the texture should repeat at the edge of the tile.

If you want to make a seamless tile in Photoshop you can use the offset filter. Load the texture, choose 'Filter - Other - Offset' and move the sliders so that the edges are in the center of the image. Once you have applied the filter, clone out the seams in the middle of the image and try the filter again...if the image tiles without seams you're done. You must make sure that the layer is cropped to the canvas size otherwise it will offset everything that isn't on the canvas too and won't work.

yakul
11-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Well, I have used automatic size. So after this it should be seamless, though I wasn't sure the crumple looks seamless. Although when I replaced it to a dot it draw a dot in the center.

Then I devided the x and z by 3, each. So I should have seen 3x3 "crumple tiles" if it was seamless.
Though it doesn't seam to be devided into one 1/3 tiles.

CGTalk Moderation
11-02-2008, 07:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.