PDA

View Full Version : Pulitzer pen crafts "Spidey 4"

DuttyFoot
11-01-2008, 04:35 AM
Did anyone else see this. I heard them talking about doing a 4 and 5 after 3 came out, but i didn't know if it would really happen.

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/va/20081031/122544306700.html

philnolan3d
11-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Interesting to hear about Kirsten Dunst. I read an interview with her after 2 came out where she said she was contracted for 3 movies but if they wanted to do a 4th one she wouldn't do it. She prefers to do period films. Reading between the lines you could tell she really didn't like doing these movies.

kelgy
11-01-2008, 03:42 PM
I am shocked they didnt get a Booker prize/Nobel Prize winner to do it, considering how pretentious they were on the other movies.

Mario Puzo had written for Marvel before he went into novel writing so he understood the genre when he did Superman, no wonder it was so well written. I dont think the writer of Ordinary People had the same background.

And I am disappointed Raimi is back. Let someone else take a shot at the character.

Since they got rid of Robin and went back to Batman's roots, I hoped they would get rid of Mary Jane as the side kick and go back to the stories that made the character popular.

redbellpeppers
11-02-2008, 01:38 AM
Did anyone else see this. I heard them talking about doing a 4 and 5 after 3 came out, but i didn't know if it would really happen.

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/va/20081031/122544306700.html

Means little to me; after all, part of Paramounts marketing was that the guy who penned Gladiator penned Star Trek: Nemesis... and we all saw how that turned out.

DuttyFoot
11-02-2008, 02:13 AM
I read an interview with her after 2 came out where she said she was contracted for 3 movies but if they wanted to do a 4th one she wouldn't do it.

i remember reading the same thing, that she wasn't interested in a 4th film.

R10k
11-02-2008, 07:37 AM
...guy who penned Gladiator penned Star Trek: Nemesis... and we all saw how that turned out.

I don't know why people complain about Nemesis so much... I enjoyed it, personally.

SheepFactory
11-02-2008, 08:59 PM
I don't know why people complain about Nemesis so much... I enjoyed it, personally.

Do you own the Spiderman 3 dvd\blu ray?

--

Anyway I wish they picked another director as well. Sam Raimi ruined the franchise. I wouldnt mind a proper restart like batman begins.

R10k
11-03-2008, 04:50 AM
Do you own the Spiderman 3 dvd\blu ray?

No. Should I?

I like how you say Sam Raimi ruined the franchise. How did he do that, exactly?

angel
11-03-2008, 05:50 AM
No. Should I?

well, let's see... Venom, sucked, he was like an after thought, there because the fans wanted to see venom... look what they got.
Harry, the super airboarder, sucked in so many levels
Peter crying every 10 minutes... ugh

I wish they would have just had the sandman which rocked an leave it at that.

Every super hero movie with more than 2 villains have sucked sour frog ass; too much to cram in a 2 hr film.

Pyke
11-03-2008, 07:07 AM
No. Should I?

I would say the dancing emo Peter pretty much ruined the movie for me.

I dont think the series needs a reboot...I think SM1 did a very good job of an origin story, and SM2 was just a fantastic summer-action movie. Studio involvement messed with SM3.
I would like to see another directors take on the franchise...just a build up on the foundation already laid. Perhaps someone who is a little more character driven with their films?

Either that, or get in David Fincher and create the ultimate bad-ass spiderman detective story. Are there any serial killers in SM's universe?

R10k
11-03-2008, 07:21 AM
It wasn't perfect (some story oddities, and as you mentioned- too much crammed into one movie, etc) but I'd hardly call that ruining a franchise. I enjoyed it, my brother enjoyed it, and everyone else I know (not on the 'net) enjoyed it. Of course, everyone on the 'net whined as they usually do, as if someone had just killed their pet hamster, but... that's normal these days. I would have done the same about Ghost Rider if I hadn't been the last guy in the world to see it ;)

The point is- I don't know how someone can blame Sam Raimi for being the killer of a franchise. That sounds like fanboy overreacting to me. He helped reinvent the Spiderman we all loved in the first two movies... it's just that with number 3, I think he burnt out somewhat . For whatever reason, he missed recreating the genius of the first two. But, it was hardly a disaster of a movie, unless you were a comic nerd who dreamed of the movie being a notch above the originals.

I welcome his efforts again, personally. Outside of Spider Man, Sam Raimi has always been solid in what he's done.

EDIT:

Studio involvement messed with SM3.

Yes, agreed.

Boone
11-03-2008, 11:34 AM
Spiderman 3 was a low point for the series, but Sam Raimi is still the man for the job. Also, Kirsten Dunst is a good actress, and is ideal for the role of Mary Jane, but she needs more material to work with other than "a damsel in distress".

I feel the problem with the third film was it had too many villians with too little character. The second film had only Octavius, yet he had much more character to him than Harry, Venom and Sandman combined.

I say give him a chance, because two out of three aint bad.

kelgy
11-03-2008, 02:09 PM
There was heavy studio involvement from day one and Raimi is not responsible for all the decisions. But the character is much bigger than one director. Spider-man is more of a household name than Raimi ever will be. Batman was bigger than Burton, and at the time everyone was saying Burton was responsible for re-inventing the character which wasnt entirely true.

I have no idea who could have played Mary Jane but I wouldnt call Dunst ideal.
She wasnt even a natural redhead.

Robin was introduced early in the Batman comics, while Mary Jane did not gain co-star prominence until the mid 80s. For much of the run it focused on Peter Parker various problems and Spider-man. The movies could be called Spider-man Loves Mary Jane 1-3.

A reboot should bring the character back to its essential ingredients.

PS
Its too bad about Ghost Rider as the fire effects were great and it had the making of being an interesting atypical comics movie(i.e. Blade). Seems like they ran out of money near the end. When the two Ghost Riders were heading off towards the demon infested ghost town, I was expecting we would see them battling demons together or something. Instead it was: "well son, I had just enough flame left in me for that one last fire. See ya."

And they couldnt afford the Johnny Cash song rendition. :(

blenderhead
11-03-2008, 06:07 PM
I am shocked they didnt get a Booker prize/Nobel Prize winner to do it, considering how pretentious they were on the other movies.

Just because in your opinion Booker/Pulitzer prize winners are 'pretentious', doesn't actually make it true, and there for is irrelevant when it comes to choosing who writes Spiderman 4.

I agree with everything negative about Spiderman 3 in this thread. It was incredibly, incredibly bad. Sam Raimi had little right to involve Venom in such a little role in the movie just because he didn't like the character. I kind of got the same feeling of Nolan with Two-Face (my favourite Batman villain by far, but I don't think Nolan cared for him too much, or his tangible backstory).

kelgy
11-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Just because in your opinion Booker/Pulitzer prize winners are 'pretentious', doesn't actually make it true, and there for is irrelevant when it comes to choosing who writes Spiderman 4.

**I didnt mean the prize winners were pretentious(they might be, cant comment on it), by "they" I meant the filmmakers.
Its a comic book movie, not Dostoevsky.

Not that I want a tired Hollywood hack either but picking the writer of Ordinary People helps to explain why the movies(2 at least) were so dreary and different from the comics.

blenderhead
11-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Apologies, I misunderstood.

kelgy
11-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Yeah no problem. I didnt make it clear.

aaraaf
11-04-2008, 07:58 PM
Kraven's Last Hunt.

That's all I need.

The black suit/Venom arch could have been a great 2 film set... and I don't think it should have been Raimi who did it... he didn't really want to work with Venom (who generally IS a shallow unthought out character) and it showed.

Sandman was incredible, though... well thought out and tragic. Raimi could have fun with Kraven... he seems to like those silver age villians quite a lot.

Just please, no Iron Spider and no Ben Reily.

Venkman
11-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Sandman was incredible, though... well thought out and tragic.

The sandman was jaw dropping. But man, Spiderman 3 ends with a bunch of people crying on a rooftop. WTF?

If you want to see good spidey work, watch the new cartoon series currently on Saturday mornings. The action sequences are top notch, almost on par with Warner's Justice League animated series.

And the animated Spidey is a wisecracking, energetic super hero instead of the depressing, brooding dude from the movies.

aaraaf
11-04-2008, 11:07 PM
I would say that he's a "depressing brooding dude" in Spiderman 3, but I think Spiderman 2 is about as good a superhero movie as there is. It's one of my all around favorite movies.

To put my opinion into perspective, I don't like the Nolan Batmans or the Superman Returns stuff... too CSI/Law and Order/Adult Contemporary for me. Nolan's Batman will never be as dark or edgy or fun as Batman Returns and never as intelligent as the Timm/Dini cartoon.

I loved Iron Man, and Hulk was a blast.

Spiderman is the kid that you were when you were getting done with highschool and going into college, and if you kept in the story, the simple guy sacrificing his daily life for his higher calling.

Angry? Sometimes. Confused and a little out of his league? Quite often. Bitter... never.

I love the first two and hope to get that consistant quality out of a fourth. The money guys messed up, and should have left Raimi doing what he does best and handed the franchise off to someone else for a couple of darker films with the black suit and Venom portrayed as a monster. And the black suit only works because Peter's such a nice guy. Dichotomy. Nolan's Batman lost it. Superman Returns never captured the Donner flick's essence.

On your suggestion Venkman, I'll give the Spiderman animated show a go... it's always well reviewed.

Venkman
11-05-2008, 12:11 AM
The series is called "The Spectacular Spiderman" and a particularly fun episode is called "group therapy". This has the venom suit in it, and it shows the dichotomy pretty well. Near the end of the episode there are some really clever action moments as Spidey takes on 6 villains at once, including the Sandman and my favorite, Doc Ock (voiced by the always awesome Peter MacNicol - Dragon Slayer FTW!).

It's not quite up to par with the Batman series or Justice League, but I think the action has gotten better as the team gets more practice making the show.

Sometimes I think the live action filmmakers and screenwriters need to stop and look at the animated versions of their characters to understand how something could play out. The new Spidey cartoon doesn't quite match the action sequences of the live action 2 or 3, but it's a little more light hearted.

kelgy
11-05-2008, 12:43 AM
I remember the 90s Spiderman cartoon although my favorite is still the hokey 60s show.

I thought the movie Peter Parker was too much like Alfalfa pining over Darla from the Little Rascals.
I assume they took the lost powers idea from Superman 2, although it reminded me of an early Spider-man where he got the flu from worry and was called a coward for running away from the Sandman. Then he came back with a vengeance and wise cracks.
Mary Jane needs to be returned to a supporting character to get it back on him.

Reboot!

I wonder if Marvel will get control of it again or it stays at Sony for a long time. All those legal loopholes-too much of a tangled web for even Spider-man to handle...

CGTalk Moderation
11-05-2008, 12:43 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.