PDA

View Full Version : Translating the clavicle controll?

Leffler
10-31-2008, 03:41 PM
Hello!

I have found that some people set up the clavicle-controlls so that the animator only can use itīs Translate, not the Rotate. Why is that?

I can kind of understand why you want to be able to do some suddle translate in the claviclearea of a character, but why not use the rotate?

I set up so that both are availible, I think itīs nice to be able to rotate the clavicle-joint even though it can be a bit tricky not to "lose volume" in that area of the mesh.

Any thoughts? How do you set up the clavicles? Iīve seen and tested alot but maybe some new ideas are out there ... :)

/Otto
ottoleffler.com

mberglund
10-31-2008, 08:05 PM
I think argument for using a translate clavicle control is that you can get a wider range of motion. Having said that, when I set up one of my rigs, one of my animators wanted a rotate only control, due to unfamiliarity. So i ended up implementing a rotate only, with a length attribute so you could tweak the length of the clavicle, basically allowing for translation in a backwards way. They liked that much better.

implementing both is probably good, unless you know that the animators will never use the translate.

d-brooks
11-01-2008, 12:25 AM
Because I'm rotating the clavicle from a central point, it seems much more intuitive to me to pose the clavicle at the area being affected most, the shoulder.

Otherwise...I'm rotating, seeing how it looks, rotating it a bit more. But with translation, I'm just placing it where I want. Quick and easy.

I build in both for sake of having the option, with stretchiness if the character is cartoony.

CGTalk Moderation
11-01-2008, 12:25 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.