PDA

View Full Version : clothing question

BICA
10-31-2008, 02:38 AM
hello, I am making a buddhist monk character( bald 12 year old kid, with the cloth), and I was wondering how to approach the clothing. This character is going to be animated, in many stances, but I'm not sure how to approach the cloth.

My teachers told me to stay away from N-cloth. I look at tutorials, but it's all about the cloth. There has to be another way.

I was thinking of instead modeling the leg, model the cloth, ankle and foot, and rig it a little differerently so I would animate the cloth, as a leg movement, and add extra locators to places needed. Would that work? I'm worried it might look bad.

Could somebody who has done this before help me please? Is there any other way than N cloth, that looks good?

GrogMcGee
10-31-2008, 03:35 AM
I'm a bit of lazy shmuck sometimes as such I model the basic shape in my modeler (maya) and then relax the mesh with a cloth sim; then take it to mudbox for sculpt. The whole thing can be done in z-brush or mud very easily with a basic shape mesh, the cloth sim just saves some modeling time ... I suppose... *might just be that I like using n-cloth*

The trick is going to be to model the relaxed state that is also friendly to the, I assume, bones that will drive it's motion.

When not using a cloth sim, it's all about good old fashioned, vert, face, and edge modeling - work on it in stages, like: basic overal shape; main folds, bunching areas, and creases; final details: small creases, folds, and bunches.

Reference will help a lot. If you got a friend who won't mind being wrapped in a sheet even better! And remeber that your edge flow is going to be very important.

BICA
10-31-2008, 01:12 PM
thanks for replying.

I know how to model, and rig, but I am unsure about what you mean to "relax mesh with cloth sim and then take it to mudbox to sculpt(do you mean sculpting the person?)". Everything else I basically get. Do you have any tutorials specifically on this that might help?

I am going to do lot's of animating(sitting standing walking bending ect.), so something that saves time, and looks nice would be awesome XP

Also, in the second part where I do good old fashioned modeling, I am worried that the rig will make it too stiff even for cloth, (if for some reason I can't figure out your first idea), would applying lots of IK handles (like the spine), help smooth things out in a nice way? What type of rig style would you recommend for the clothing themselves?

Thanks again

GrogMcGee
11-01-2008, 05:46 AM
thanks for replying.

I know how to model, and rig, but I am unsure about what you mean to "relax mesh with cloth sim and then take it to mudbox to sculpt(do you mean sculpting the person?)". Everything else I basically get. Do you have any tutorials specifically on this that might help?

With n-cloth, at least, you can make your mesh, relax the mesh as a cloth object the way you would if you were normally making a clothing via cloth sim. Once the mesh is relaxed in the way that looks natural and you set that as it's start position. You can then strip the mesh of the cloth properties and then export it and tweak it mudbox or z-brush, or tweak it in your modelling program.

No I don't have any tutorials on this, sorry.

I am going to do lot's of animating(sitting standing walking bending ect.), so something that saves time, and looks nice would be awesome XP

Also, in the second part where I do good old fashioned modeling, I am worried that the rig will make it too stiff even for cloth, (if for some reason I can't figure out your first idea), would applying lots of IK handles (like the spine), help smooth things out in a nice way? What type of rig style would you recommend for the clothing themselves?

Thanks again

I good IK rig will be the make or break of it. Driven Key influence objects will also be useful in making the cloth move.

BICA
11-03-2008, 05:19 PM
thank you very much for your help :D

If anybody else has anything to say, it would also be appreciated, any input is good.

CGTalk Moderation
11-03-2008, 05:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.