PDA

View Full Version : Non-traditional rigging question

jerm
10-30-2008, 08:44 PM
Hoping some of you clever rigging geniuses out there can give me a few tips. Say I've got a character composed of a lot of separate geometry. A stickman made up of separate cylinders, for instance (see the pic for an example). How would I most simply make this character posable? I don't need to animate, just pose for stills. I know there are a lot of new tools out there using splines, joints, etc and I'm not up on all the rigging tricks, so hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I think I could group the pieces into arms, legs, head using nulls and then use bones or whatever I want on those nulls. But is there another way I should consider? Thanks -

dataflow
10-30-2008, 08:57 PM
i would just connect the tubes so its just 1 object (if you dont want each tube to bend make sure that the tubes arent subdivided vertically)

then just use joints as normal.(auto weighting should get you result you want)

jerm
10-30-2008, 09:01 PM
Thanks dataflow. The problem is, my real character is made up of complicated objects that include HAIR, deformers, and so on. Have tried the "connect" concept and get unacceptable results. Was hoping someone had a trick for rigging separate objects. Thanks!

AAAron
10-30-2008, 09:13 PM
Iīm new to this to (rigging) but what about building a null hierarchy and using the IK tag (if the parts them self are static ie. you donīt want them to deform in the elbows etc.)

Some thing like:

null at joint
-underarm parts
-null at joint
--hand parts
--null at joint
---fingers

jerm
10-30-2008, 09:15 PM
Hey AAAron - yup this is kind of what I'm thinking too. Probably what I'll end up doing. Just curious if there's someone out there with another idea.

dataflow
10-30-2008, 09:28 PM
here is a quick setup.
swf video
http://3ddataflow.com.au/stuff/joint-multi-obj.swf

after the setup i just auto weighted it and used the "IK Chain" command to create a control

Horganovski
10-30-2008, 10:11 PM
Unless you want the geometry to be deformed by the joint skeleton there's really no need to skin anything, just parent to the appropriate joint or even just use nulls and rig those with IK.
The only advantages I can see for using joints when building a mech type rig is that it gives you a visual guide while rigging (and the option of a proxy while animating) and it's easier to make sure the joint axis are oriented correct for the IK to work cleanly.
Having said that Cactus Dan's Transfer Tools plugin makes it very easy to orient the axis of nulls or even the mesh parts themselves so that you can apply the IK directly.

Cheers,
Brian

jablinko
10-31-2008, 03:47 AM
this is cool, and am trying to figure out the same thing

is this c4d tages / ik tag?

is there something i am missing beyond the 'enable' switch to make the null move the geom with the Ik tag?

maybe it would be best to see your object manager at the heirarchy

thanks

indeep
10-31-2008, 09:35 AM
Why not just parenting the objects to the joints....?.......if u dont need skin deformation

jerm
10-31-2008, 06:01 PM
dataflow - thanks for the clip, that's very cool. Exactly the kind of stuff I'm not up on. Will look into it further, thanks -

BigAl3D
10-31-2008, 08:14 PM
If you have Mograph, it does a pretty nice job at this. Check out my sample.

CGTalk Moderation
10-31-2008, 08:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.