PDA

View Full Version : walking

j0rdan
10-30-2008, 08:04 PM
hello guys, I m doing my first animation in Maya and I need to help me because I don t know the next step. I already made 375 frame with "walk cycle", my character walked but in the some place.. How can I make him to walk from one place to the other?

Raty
10-30-2008, 08:45 PM
OK, so your character is walking on one spot and you want him/her to move forward?

A, Create new parent controller and link your character to it. Then move whole character with it. I'm pretty sure you will get slipping problem on feet, but if that doesn't mind you... it will be easiest way to get character moved.
(looks like "game character walk".)

B, You have to animate differently so character actually moves forward just like you walk in real life :)

Good luck!

j0rdan
10-30-2008, 09:27 PM
man do u know any tutorial which will help me?and if u know sent me some please
thank you for yr answer

j0rdan
10-30-2008, 10:24 PM
so guys, i will erase all the frames and i will star from the beginning. Can you tell me all the step that i need to animate my character as we walk in real time "the easiest way ;-) "

Raty
10-31-2008, 06:53 AM
Internet is full of bad walk cycle tutorials. So if you have video camera or still camera with video capability, just shoot some footage by your self and set that side by side with your character. Start with stepped curves and from only key poses. Then you start adding more and more keys. After that training, you might want to change a style more cartoon like or such.

Animating is hard, but very simple when you have something to copy. It's just setting keys to right place and right time. Acting is something different then.

Good luck!

Frogman
10-31-2008, 11:15 PM
Study up on your Richard Williams - The Animator Survival Kit - a large portion of the book is just focused on walks.

Most walks consist of a few poses/parts to the walk.

The contact pose- this is where the legs are outstretched with the forward foot making heel contact and the rear foot is raised up on the ball. The forward leg is generally straight unless the character is stomping or carrying a heavy load.

The down pose - the weight is shifted to the lead leg and it bends taking the weight of the body. The rear foot is lifted from the ground.

The passing pose - the lead leg is now straight and vertical and its hip is high (all the weight is on this leg under the body. The walker will shift her weight over this leg's foot. The other leg is bent and bringing the formerly rear foot to the step forward.. a half way position.

The up - right before the now front leg is kicking out to catch the walker from falling (ie a step), the rear foot is raising the body up on the ball of the foot.

The contact - same as before put now the feet a reversed.

If you have a good contact pose and passing pose, the walk generally reads just fine.

The have your character walk forward, just keep the stepping foot planted and move everything else in relation to it - just like we walk.. the planted foot on the ground does not slide back.. we move over it forward.

Is you have a cycle and want to move the character forward, just key the root character control on the contact poses of the walk - translating it in the direction the character is walking. You can take how far the foot moves ( for instance: from +2 to -2 = 4) and double it (8)- use flat tangents on the keys and you should account for the foot slip.

In most games, characters move at a different rate than their animation - it is a lot easier to animate your walk without a cycle (you can cycle that animation by just setting your keys to infinite with an offset).

Hope that helps.

DevIII
11-03-2008, 06:04 PM
Frogman's suggestion of Richard Williams - The Animator Survival Kit, should be almost a must have for anyone. its very cheap i think i got my copy for 20 bucks, and nearly every page has useful information.

j0rdan
11-05-2008, 12:35 PM
yeah man it is very important for everyone..I borrowed it for my Uni Library..
Thank guys for your quick answers..Cheers ;-)

CGTalk Moderation
11-05-2008, 12:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.