PDA

View Full Version : Disney and Pixar’s Full Animated Line-Up Through 2012!

M-H
10-30-2008, 10:47 AM
http://mhviraf.wordpress.com/2008/10/01/disney-and-pixars-full-animated-line-up-through-2012/

Ikaria
10-30-2008, 01:36 PM
That's quite a line up. 12 flicks including a couple upgrades and a couple sequels.

Curious how it's all going to play out.

Interesting thing to note -- quite a few directors from other animation studios brought on board, but no sight of Brad Bird or Andrew Stanton. Perhaps it's just how long it takes to 'father' an animated feature -- Pete Docter is to make his first return to directing since Monster's Inc in 2009.

mayaartist
10-30-2008, 03:13 PM
That's terrific! Lot's of work out there for us CG types. Just Terrific!

rblitz7
10-30-2008, 04:18 PM
We've known this lineup for quite some time now...just FYI

WillRyan
10-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Interesting thing to note -- quite a few directors from other animation studios brought on board, but no sight of Brad Bird or Andrew Stanton.
They are both reportedly helming live action features: Stanton with John Carter of Mars (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401729/) and Brad Bird with 1906 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0832278/).

Ikaria
10-30-2008, 07:42 PM
The collective knowledge of these forums doesn't cease to amaze me!

Thanks, Ryan :)

I was actually just wondering what became of Stanton's John Carter of Mars project. Imdb lists it as half animation, half live action. Wonder if that means a 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit' approach -- fun but possibly dated -- or more of clean split.

mayaartist
10-30-2008, 11:26 PM
Hey everybody, Mr.Blitz has known about this for a long time. Why is this here then, I'm the boss need the info. Dukka dukka.

xsitar
10-31-2008, 04:26 AM
There's gonna a be a ToyStory 3 and Cars 2? :argh:

Why don't they rather put that energy and resources into something new and more original?

swardson
10-31-2008, 06:46 AM
toy story 3 has been in the works for some time now. Was originally going to be done by Disney alone before the pixar/disney merger. But Pixar killed production and revamped the story once the merger happened. From what I hear it is going to be a knockout movie so I am excited.

I did not know about Cars 2 but I am game for it. I loved the characters and hope they keep up with a sweet story. I am totally jazzed for the list and looking forward to the next 3 ish years.

Thanks!

Brad

Daniel-B
10-31-2008, 08:17 AM
So, how are they going to release Toy Story 1 and 2 in 3D? Are they going to go back and re-render the movie in stereo?

Speaking of that, do studios keep assets that long anyway? Does Pixar really keep scene files and textures from way back in the 90s?

Laserschwert
10-31-2008, 11:16 AM
So, how are they going to release Toy Story 1 and 2 in 3D? Are they going to go back and re-render the movie in stereo?

Speaking of that, do studios keep assets that long anyway? Does Pixar really keep scene files and textures from way back in the 90s?
I was wondering about that too... I think it's save to say that it's somewhat redundant using In-Three's conversion-technique on these movies. On the other hand this requires the scene files to still be there, which might only be a problem with the first Toy Story movie (since "A Bug's Life" I assume their 3D-pipeline included constant back-ups and archiving, wheras TS1 was more of an experiment). Anyway, given that TS1's image quality could easily be achieved in real-time with modern rendering techniques, they could just release it as a completely interactive real-time-application ;)

cookepuss
10-31-2008, 04:02 PM
Cars 2? Really?... ... (checks calendar... not April 1st) ... ... Really?

No Incredibles 2, but we get Cars 2 instead. Might as well cut my heart out right now. What a world.

Ah, well. I've kinda grown tired of Pixar anyway. Pretty pointless for me to nitpick.

cookepuss
10-31-2008, 04:07 PM

Not saying that's what they're doing, but it's entirely possible. I've still got TBs of client assets backed up in a firesafe. Stuff that dates back to about a decade. Jazz drive tapes. CDs. DVDs. The whole nine. Entirely possible that Pixar could do the same. I once worked with a company where the policy was to archive every bit of client work on a daily basis, to multiple formats, and sent to multiple storage locations. Quite the time consuming process. Worth it though.

EricDigital
10-31-2008, 04:34 PM
There's gonna a be a ToyStory 3 and Cars 2? :argh:

Why don't they rather put that energy and resources into something new and more original?

I see where you are coming from, but remember Toy Story is Pixar's only other creation they have made into a sequel. Besides that and this cars sequel every movie they make is something new and original. So you could cut them a little slack I think. =]

Laserschwert
10-31-2008, 05:30 PM
I see where you are coming from, but remember Toy Story is Pixar's only other creation they have made into a sequel. Besides that and this cars sequel every movie they make is something new and original. So you could cut them a little slack I think. =]Plus you've gotta admit that Toy Story 2 is still a damn good movie... although I have to say that Cars and Finding Nemo were my least favorite Pixar movies (and even then they are still better than the competition... maybe except for Shrek 1 & 2), so a Cars sequel isn't exactly thrilling me.

M-H
10-31-2008, 08:50 PM
Pixar and Disney's works tastes good to me, all of them. I'll watch them all and enjoy ;)

I bet you all will be excited of watching upcoming movies ...

cresshead
11-01-2008, 12:49 AM
bolt looks good ut i'm really up for john carter of mars...

mzee
11-01-2008, 02:43 PM
...Cars 2? Really?... ... (checks calendar... not April 1st) ... ... Really?

No Incredibles 2, but we get Cars 2 instead. Might as well cut my heart out right now. What a world...

One of the reason can be found here:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117987870.html?categoryid=2520&cs=1

Disney-Pixar is still enjoying robust income from "Cars," which is expected to sell $2.5 billion in merchandise this year and has revved up $5 billion in just merchandise sales since its release in 2006.

After all its a mulitmillion dollar business - thats the truth. Everyone is doing this for making money and paying the bills.

JoshBowman
11-02-2008, 01:09 AM
@mzee:

Agreed, I think some people forget that there are still budgets needed to finance Pixar films and by making Cars 2 they will be able to more easily finance movies further down the track or take riskier decisions because they have more money to play with.

I didn't enjoy Car much, in fact I walk out feeling rather bored. That doesn't mean though that it wasn't enjoyed by boys aged 5 to 10 whose parents bought them lots of Cars toys. Just because Pixar is seen as the best animation studio in the industry right now doesn't mean that the movies we, as artists, want to see are the ones they are going to make, no matter how much people want to work there.

beaker
11-03-2008, 08:25 AM
So, how are they going to release Toy Story 1 and 2 in 3D? Are they going to go back and re-render the movie in stereo?I doubt it. Most machines these days probably won't even open the software let alone the scenes without a lot of work. The scenes on some of those movies were done on Sgi Irix and Sun
Solaris boxes. I doubt they even have many of those hanging around (except maybe for servers).

It will probably be done the same way ILM and DD did it for Disney's Chicken Little & Meet the Robinsons. Lot's of roto, projecting 2d images on lowrez dummy geometry. Painting the missing information on backgrounds behind the characters. Setting up 3d cameras and rerendering out the L/R eye information. The renders are very fast since it is mostly textures on boxes and planes.

Speaking of that, do studios keep assets that long anyway? Does Pixar really keep scene files and textures from way back in the 90s?Most have it backed up on some type of tape, DLT, SDLT, Exabyte, dat, etc...

jewalker
11-03-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm actually fairly certain that Pixar has all of its digital assets backed up and are able (with a lot of work) to re-render the entire movie. I believe their plan is to add a second camera to all of their shots and address stereo problems as they arise.

aaraaf
11-03-2008, 06:58 PM
I bet that Toy Story 1 gets re-rendered if its getting 3D treatment.

Wasn't it already re-rendered for the original DVD release though? If so, the assetts may realistically be ready to roll. Rendering out offset views will give it a lot more dimension too.

Pixar won't want to see their baby out and about in a less than stellar viewing experience.

MrPositive
11-06-2008, 10:19 AM
There's gonna a be a ToyStory 3 :argh:

Seriously? Toy Story put them on the map. It would be like not doing another Bond movie.

Newt and the King of the Elves also sound incredible.

CGTalk Moderation
11-06-2008, 10:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.