PDA

View Full Version : Rock Band 2 :: Production Focus

PaulHellard
10-30-2008, 04:18 AM
Hey!

Passion Pictures pulls out the plug! The talented team in the London based studio teamed with Image-Metrics in LA to produce this screaming crazy cinematic spot to encore their original. They tell CGSociety about the strange lengths they go to, to pull this one off.
Have fun, but please stay in control at all times. ;-)

http://features.cgsociety.org//images/plugs/feature/rockband_plug.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/story.php?story_id=4756)

DIGG IT! (http://digg.com/gaming_news/Rock_Band_2_cinematic_HERE)

aesnakes
10-30-2008, 04:36 AM
how unreal intense and ridiculous can you go before you totally lose the interest of the audience......I think we have our answer.

Gemini82
10-30-2008, 05:16 AM
I'm not really seeing the benefit of the motion capture in the performance. looks like it could have just as easliy been keyed. Maybe its just my naivete or it was a time saving production issue.

yahyaehsan
10-30-2008, 08:04 AM
I must say Passion Pictures have rocked again everything!!!
Thats fun to watch!

5star

:lightbulb i am really impressed by the creativity of this studio. amazing, Its a must to visit their website, they got quality content!

Kanga
10-30-2008, 08:28 AM
Well the white guy looks great in the cinematic. As a game concept I have always found this one wierd and in a class by itself. Seems to sell though.

INFINITE
10-30-2008, 09:01 AM
Not sure why people are moaning. Great article and great FMV, the characters and animation are just superb :beer:

McBradd
10-30-2008, 10:15 AM
I'll admit that the character animation is good, and the models are good, but the concept itself is lacking. I understand it's deliberately derivative of the first RockBand cinematic, but this one is far less epic than the first. They tried to be 'hip' and 'intense' with the unrealistic driving and acrobatics by a middle aged man, but at the end of the day, this is a video I'm going to skip over every time I boot up the game. Good job to them, but I think this project went wrong at the storyboard phase.

DDS
10-30-2008, 11:36 AM
the art is great, but I think the cinematic makes no sense at all

Strob
10-30-2008, 11:46 AM
I like the art AND the idea! The lighting is great.

Dennik
10-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Although somewhat entertaining, its definitely not inspiring as their past work, especially with the Gorillaz band.
And going with mocap especially in a clip that was too extreme for mocap? They totally lost me there.

Hordak
10-30-2008, 01:23 PM
That was silly...

leigh
10-30-2008, 01:35 PM
Well I enjoyed it.

Because I love Rock Band. Oh yes. I do love it.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR RB2 TO BE RELEASED HERE :cry:

Voron
10-30-2008, 03:04 PM
Silly... Intense... Fun...

I was cracking up. :buttrock:

True, its not as "inspiring" as their past work. However, it certainly hits a nerve with the fanbase of the Rockband franchise (Which is HUGE!) Its business... This WILL sell

Many things I would have changed :arteest: but the visual quality is not one of them.

lebada
10-30-2008, 03:32 PM
uhh....just..no...

SheepFactory
10-30-2008, 04:16 PM
Rockband 2 is the most amazing game ever but this cinematic didnt do it for me at all either.

unchikun
10-30-2008, 05:06 PM
RB2++++

Waiting for the drum cymbals!

No need for mocap in the cinematic. Looked kinda stiff but great job as usual.

leigh
10-30-2008, 05:15 PM
RB2++++

Waiting for the drum cymbals!

Do yourself a favour and get one of these kits:

http://www.drumrocker.com/products/index.php

I got mine yesterday and it's AWESOME. I finally managed to finish Baba O'Riley on Expert, which I always screwed up on the original RB kit (it always flakes out on rolls).

:buttrock:

unchikun
10-30-2008, 06:08 PM

That set rocks! The RB2 set is not too bad tho. The foot pedal is much sturdier now, but I like the way you can adjust everything on the Alesis. I'm going to have to work my way up to it ;)

Gemini82
10-30-2008, 07:29 PM
Here are some of the boards from the sequence via Alberto Mielgo

http://albertomielgo.blogspot.com/2008/10/rockband2-storyboard.html

Venkman
10-30-2008, 07:49 PM

I got mine yesterday and it's AWESOME. I finally managed to finish Baba O'Riley on Expert, which I always screwed up on the original RB kit (it always flakes out on rolls).

:buttrock:

Leigh, did you try putting the real drum brain into that set?? Drums have always appealed to me, especially if I can plug it into the USB port of my computer and rock out while hooked into Reason or another music program.

It's a lot easier to justify the cost if you can use it for real music work. ;)

Sorry if OT, Leigh PM me if you don't want to clog the boards.

AikoWorld
10-30-2008, 08:07 PM
All was very cool and nicely done.

Only the lipsync was very bad.

FabioMSilva
10-30-2008, 08:22 PM
Rockband 2 is the most amazing game ever

Solid Snake isn't going to like to hear what you're saying:curious:

SheepFactory
10-30-2008, 10:22 PM
That set rocks! The RB2 set is not too bad tho. The foot pedal is much sturdier now, but I like the way you can adjust everything on the Alesis. I'm going to have to work my way up to it ;)

There is absolutely no reason to waste money on the Ion kit considering how great the rb2 set is. Get the cymbal addons and you pretty much have a great cheapo electro kit you can jam with in freestyle mode.

Also ion has the worst customer support in the history of peripherals. Just search the net for some horror stories.

If you wanna be hardcore but the ghwt drums and a roland td drumset, connect the td to the ghwt drums using a midi cable and play in rockband using your td drumset with no extra setup! That will shut up the but can you play real drums people :D

Spin99
10-31-2008, 01:58 AM
Heh I don't get the negative wave on this thread.

I think the trailer rocked and loved the character with the moustache
I think his facial animation was impressive even? nm motion capture got it there.
Maybe they're using the new Image Metrics tech?
Characters really seem to have lots of erm.. character?

So lip sync went missing here and there perhaps.

Still love acoustic drums but maybe my skills more suited for rock band bleh
Alesis drum kits have always been hot.
Although much more likely to get to an acoustic kit at this stage lol

Ulven
10-31-2008, 02:02 AM
I've always loved passion pictures work, but I find myself a bit puzzled at some of the decisions here, especially with regards to the lip synching. With a decent rig and in the hands of a few good animators, this could have been keyed way better than it was captured. Well lit/textured, good pelvis thrusting and overall good production though, so congrats to passion!

turner
10-31-2008, 11:34 AM
Rendered nice but I thought some of the movement was jerky.

Hmmmm....

turner

marioucci
10-31-2008, 04:54 PM
Hmmm Very Little I can say regarding personal taste and oppinions.

What I can say thou, by doing the concept/model/texture/lookdev of the main bald/moustache character and the drum player, I had the greatest time. The main thing to focus here is the freshness of the characters and the concept of the cinematic.

The mocap was purelly a matter of schedule as it was very very tight as usual.

Passion Pictures and Pete Candeland (director) are still doing cutting edge work in the mainstream scene. I highly recommend working with them if you have the chance.

Cheers guys

Mario

Wes_Brown
11-01-2008, 07:06 PM
It was hysterical. Seeing a soft-in-the-middle 45 year old dude rocking out and kicking ass was great. The matrix moves were funny and it had a great tongue-in-cheek feel.

Kudos!

saul3d
11-02-2008, 09:17 PM
Simply AAAAMaaazing!

The camera movements (shots) are very realistic!
The animation superb!
Render incredible!

Spin99
11-02-2008, 10:06 PM
What do you know they are using Image Metrics technology if you read the article.
Remember the amazing Emily video?
To me it's what stands out the most, of course the production also,
and the ginger beard people. Love the punk characters and the chain swinging lol

On a second pass it's pretty true that animation maybe lacks human feel
and lip syncing sometimes missing. I wonder about deadlines these days.
But so what , it still rocks :buttrock:

Angroc
11-06-2008, 09:05 PM
I, for one, love this shot.

magilla
11-07-2008, 12:44 AM
For the amount of hype they give the Image metrics system the end result here is pretty poor.

Looks like the budget was slashed since the last trailer, or the client wanted too much input at the detriment of the final trailer.

freeduke
11-08-2008, 02:41 PM
Great animation, but I see no man in the car...

CGTalk Moderation
11-08-2008, 02:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.