PDA

View Full Version : 11 sec club entry

joeedh
10-29-2008, 11:35 PM
Hi. I'm posting this here to helpfully get a little more critique before I do the final animation tweaks. This is for this month's 11 second club. Kindof my first serious attempt at this level of animation, so it's not that good. And yes, I know the model sucks, I've gotten all kinds of flak for it, but I can't change it now. :)

http://vimeo.com/2090735

Thanks for any help! And good luck to anyone else in this month's contest.
Joe

aesir
10-29-2008, 11:54 PM
Alright, I'll just go straight into the crits.

Normally I'd go and critique every little motion, but for this, you need to scrap the entire thing and start over. Try and act along with your characters and do what they do, and I'm sure you'll feel how unnatural it is. You need to act out this scene, yourself, just repeating the dialouge over and over again with the sound clip until you know exactly every minute movement you want your characters to make. It would be best if you have a video tape to tape yourself. Act it out a hundred times. I do at least that much before I start putting down the key poses.

Frankly, it looks like you dont quite understand the principles of animation yet, so it might be better to get your feet wet with something a little simpler like a walk cycle or someone lifting a box.

joeedh
10-30-2008, 12:57 AM
Alright, I'll just go straight into the crits.

Normally I'd go and critique every little motion, but for this, you need to scrap the entire thing and start over. Try and act along with your characters and do what they do, and I'm sure you'll feel how unnatural it is. You need to act out this scene, yourself, just repeating the dialouge over and over again with the sound clip until you know exactly every minute movement you want your characters to make. It would be best if you have a video tape to tape yourself. Act it out a hundred times. I do at least that much before I start putting down the key poses.

I did everything you said in the beginning, and it didn't help. I think it was because I didn't spend near enough time on it, to be honest.

To make things worse, I had to use an older, not entirely working version of my rig, since at the time I didn't have access to the newest version. Having someone fold their arms behind their head, for example, was really annoying to do in IK. It still looks rather bad, despite my best efforts.

What I'm looking for here is ways to make it work better as it is (the deadline's in two and a half days), since I'm aware it really sucks (I had a LOT of trouble figuring out what the movements were at first, so I went ahead half-blind. I didn't expect it to work even as well as it did, to be honest).

Frankly, it looks like you dont quite understand the principles of animation yet, so it might be better to get your feet wet with something a little simpler like a walk cycle or someone lifting a box.

I've done walk cycles and box lifting before, and while I could definitely benefit of practicing them some more, I was bored of doing that and figured I'd try something new. :) I've actually studied the principles of animation quite a bit, I've just not practiced them nearly enough (which is why I'm participating in this contest).

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion on acting things out, they should be helpful the next time I try that.

Joe

aesir
10-30-2008, 06:26 AM
I understand that you're looking for ways to make it better without starting over, but it's faster to start over than to try and polish what you have. You generally have no ease in and ease out, large movements where they should be subtle, and things like where the head will move but without the torso moving at all, or you have all the parts move at the exact same time and stop at the same time rather than building up the motion starting from the hips, moving through the spine, and up to the head.

Geese Howard
10-30-2008, 06:52 AM
I agree with Aeisir, i've been stuck in situations where i just had to hit the reset button and redo the whole thing. It's kinda like working with a piece of clay, if the foundation of the poses aren't there, no matter how much u chip away at the clay, it's not gonna be that much better.

Even, if you're going for realistic acting vs. cartoony animation you should still try to animate more parts of the body. Like if his arms are moving around, there should still be a lilttle waist or shoulder movement to compliment it. Anyways, keep at it man, practice only helps :)

joeedh
10-30-2008, 09:06 AM
I understand that you're looking for ways to make it better without starting over, but it's faster to start over than to try and polish what you have. You generally have no ease in and ease out, large movements where they should be subtle, and things like where the head will move but without the torso moving at all, or you have all the parts move at the exact same time and stop at the same time rather than building up the motion starting from the hips, moving through the spine, and up to the head.

Yeah that makes sense I guess. . .what I have now is all I'm going to get. Starting over would be the only way to improve it; I can't really seem to polish it at all, because the movements are so bad. Well, for next month's competition I'll spend lots of time trying to act it out until I get a usable taped reference. Think I should still submit what I have now for this month?

I think I'll also come up with some little exercises to practice ease-ins/outs, the semantics of that was giving me trouble. Maybe go back to the box exercise. And for some reason everyone violently hates the models. I'll probably have to switch to one of the simpler character rigs out there.

Thanks for your help,
Joe

CGTalk Moderation
10-30-2008, 09:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.