PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Gravity Chamber (Warning Nudity)

ggaler
10-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Here is a clip from a short scifi animation (< 2 minutes) that I am working on. Although any feedback would be appreciated, I am mostly interested in the composition / rendering. I am trying to create an interesting and sensual mood with these images.

The clip is of your typical encounter in an antigravity chamber. I am using Max2009 / MR with SSS extended (thanks to Zap). I have crushed the image inside of the comp program (After Effects).

For example, here is a still that has been adjusted using levels and curves:
http://www.veryverysmallstudios.com/images/TestImages/Doom_C_MarionHairRiseComp.jpg

Here is the raw file:

http://www.veryverysmallstudios.com/images/TestImages/Doom_C_MarionHairRiseRaw.jpg

Here is link to the sample clip (640x360P):
http://www.veryverysmallstudios.com/images/TestImages/SampleMovie.html

Original will be in 720P.

DevIII
10-30-2008, 05:33 AM
Well the quality of the render is fine. The textures are a bit flat. But the light quality makes a bit up for it.

The hair looks good most the time, but in some shots I see odd haloing around the girls hair??? Maybe itís the hair clumps being comped funny.

The biggest issue here is the animation. Itís all way to slow. With no sense of how people move. Obviously this was done quickly with more intent on shot length, then animation.

This is common animation issue you need to fill some time but it only takes a hand full of frames to smile.. I use allot of cameras and mirror acting to get my key timings down, and keep a small cheapo video camera and a mirror next to my workstation. This also provides a handy low quality sound track for audio too. Anyways this would come off better if you left dead frames (please don't) for timing and still had solid animation. As opposed to stretching the key frames to fill the shot time.

Last issue is the content itself. I mean you start with the boobs which is always a "look at my thumb" trick. And then you cut to the guys smile, which is a bit simple. They float and their heads collide as a kiss. But honestly I think we could fill up time with a bit more than that. Consider how they get into the room, not adding more sets just the act of walking on the floor approaching a lover. When the gravity turns off think of how your body must react to that that exhilarations. Are they new or old lovers? You have the setting for two different types of disorientation. One is felt between lovers the other is when we no longer have gravity under foot. Use the emphasis of both to tell us how they relate to each other and you have plenty of content to animate and fill up your times.

Also I would avoid the dichotic shots of two people on either side of the screen. Itís a good way to get a stale shot. Way too much weight distributed equally

keep it up, it will get there.

ggaler
10-31-2008, 06:45 PM
Don Ė Big thanks for the feedback. I sincerely appreciated your comments. Thanks.

I do videotape some shots Ė but I didnít for most of these. It is probably a good idea to try to see how the timing looks. For these shots to work, it has to be mostly conveyed in the facial expressions.

I will (hopefully) be posting the entire clip next week. It should give you the context around what the story is actually about. The animation is fairly minimal and the pace is slow (for this sequence). Since animation is my weak point, I am actually trying to tell a story within my own boundaries.

Other points:

Hair problems seem to be coming from some sort of opacity map issue. I think the high intensity lights and comp crushing just makes them worse.

DevIII
11-01-2008, 08:42 AM
you know I think I only saw the haloing really only on the black background. are you composting the shots?

you should definitely bring out your strongest points in anything so that's a good plan :) Ill keep an eye out your update.

Dekker3D
11-01-2008, 02:43 PM
one thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, as far as i can tell, is that antigravity means that things that normally hang (breasts, hair, fat) don't do so anymore. i'm not saying you should make it all float since that'd look a bit over the top too, but at least let anything affected by gravity jump/float up a bit when the gravity turns off.. 'kay?

CGTalk Moderation
11-01-2008, 02:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.