PDA

View Full Version : Why is MB so easy for everyone else and so hard for me, or Why can't I get it to work

Shade01
06-12-2003, 12:35 AM
I've been trying for 3 days to get anything to work and I can't get anything to work at all. Maybe someone could help me. I cannot for the life of me get anything to characterize correctly.

1. I make my scene in Lightwave. I've got a rig I built from scratch. I give the correct names and everything is parented correctly I think. Everything is assigned a weight map. I export to fbx format. Is there anything wrong with the names or my heirachy?
http://www.ecreativityworks.com/stuff/lwmbschematic.jpg

2. I open the model in MB. First problem is that none of the bones is attached to the model. I have to add character then assign the bones to the correct name, even though they are named correctly? Why is this?

3. All done manually characterizing, I select characterize and it seems to do it, only I can't select anything anymore. Do I have to turn it on somewhere in MB?

4. I've been looking but I can't figure out how to add the effectors. Is it part of the characterization process or is it something I have to manually add?

Any help would be super awesome!

3DDave
06-12-2003, 12:58 AM
I am guessing here, but maybe your not dragging the "character" element onto your MODEL. Your model should turn wireframe GREEN when you drag "character" onto it. When you let it go a small menu appears and says "Characterize". Click it and your done. Then double click character in the scene navigator and select control rig input and make it active. There are a few steps to it.

If you remove the characterization and want to re-apply it, you can. Same process as above. Except you must also setup the control rig. On the Character defenition panel to the right you will see the control rig buttons. Select "Create", then select Create IK/FK.

Your Skeleton looks ok. Also be sure to view the 3Dbuzz VTM's that came with motion builder. They have TONS of information.

Shade01
06-12-2003, 01:41 AM
Thanks for the tips dave. If my skeleton looks ok why aren't the bones automatically assigning themselves in the character process?

roguenroll
06-12-2003, 04:33 AM
yeah seems if its not automatically characterizing after you drag the character guy from the chracter folder onto your model, there must be something wrong with something, almost has to be the names.

To start I would take naming DIRECTLY from Daves skelly. looks like you have a few different.

But after you think you have it characterized, go to Nav panel, char definitons tab (as you probably have) click the base required, anything that say no model is wrong.

if your model is nothing valuable to you, I will try it if you want to
email, otherwise I'll just make suggestions.

let me know

film@fmotion.net

Shade01
06-12-2003, 05:54 AM
Thanks roguenroll. The naming convention I took right out of the Motion Builder manual. I can get things working now, I was not doing a step at the very end. It still doesn't auto characterize, but I couldn't get daves to autocharacterize either. I wonder if it's got something to do with how you fit the mesh to the skeleton in Lightwave.

ub52
06-12-2003, 06:37 AM
I posted to your thread over on Kaydara's MB forum. A short list of the steps I go through in order to get a character in and out of MB. I though it might help you for reference.

I wonder if it's got something to do with how you fit the mesh to the skeleton in Lightwave.

The only things which break the automatic characterization proccess are incorrectly parented rigs or typo's in bone names.

-ub52

Sil3
06-12-2003, 07:50 PM
Try selecting first the Model in the Navigator window, then drag and drop the "Character" from the Asset Browser into it, i must select the Model first or else it doesn´t characterize.

Hope it helps

Sil3

LFGabel
06-13-2003, 12:14 AM
Shade01,

I took a look at yor image and there's a few bones there that might be causing problems.

I can't see a node called "reference". This can be a bone or a null, but a null is better because it doesn't affect the mesh.

The bones called LeftLegLink... etc., why are they there? you shouldn't need them.

This way has worked for me in the past:

- build your skeleton in modeler with skelegons, treating all limbs as separate entities. I recommend skelegon editor for adjusting naming. Keep your skelegons in the same layer as your mesh. and do your weighting if you want.

- by separate entites, I mean, limbs are separate from the spine, and fingers are seprate from the hand.

- in Layout, convert your skelegons to bones. Turn on parent in place and parent the limbs where they should go in the scene editor. For example, parent LeftUpLeg to Hips, LeftShoulder to Spine3, LeftIndex1 to LeftHand, etc.

- Export to FBX and load into MB.

That should work.

Shade01
06-13-2003, 06:03 AM
Hey Ifgabel, thanks for the tips. I will try those. The reason I have the "link" bones in place is so when I send it to layout and convert to bones, I won't have to parent anything. I'm trying to make a rig that ready to go as soon as it's converted to bones. I've seen this naming terminology in other skeletons, but if it's breaking the auto characterization process I guess they will have to go.

This "reference" bone or null. What is it supposed to be referencing? I've seen that in other MB rigs but didn't know it was something I added in Lightwave. what is the correct name for this? Thanks for the help!

Triple G
06-13-2003, 06:06 AM
One thing to make sure of also is which way your character is facing on the Z axis. I've have rigs where the bones are all named properly, everything's parented where it should be, but the character was facing the wrong way which caused it not to auto-characterize.

Since LW's and MB's Z-axes are reversed, either make sure your character is:

1)facing Z- in Lightwave, or
2)facing Z+ in Lightwave, and then your rotate the "Reference" null in MB so that he's facing Z- (Motionbuilder's Z+) before you characterize.

Triple G
06-13-2003, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by Shade01
This "reference" bone or null. What is it supposed to be referencing? I've seen that in other MB rigs but didn't know it was something I added in Lightwave. what is the correct name for this? Thanks for the help!

It's just a null that you add in Layout, named "Reference", and you basically make your entire skeleton a child of it. I don't know if it's really necessary, but that's what they showed in the 3Dbuzz VTMs, and it works for me. :shrug:

LFGabel
06-13-2003, 07:47 AM
Shade01, the link bones shouldn't affect characterizing...

The Reference node is used for scaling/translating/rotating the whole character. This stuff is all in the manual.

3DDave
06-13-2003, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Triple G
It's just a null that you add in Layout, named "Reference", and you basically make your entire skeleton a child of it. I don't know if it's really necessary, but that's what they showed in the 3Dbuzz VTMs, and it works for me. :shrug:

That null doesn't have to be called "Reference" any name will work and is a good idea if you have multiple characters.

Just make sure you are consistant with the naming in the Lightwave scene and in Motion Builder.

Don't forget, trial by error is your friend not foe.

LFGabel
06-13-2003, 10:45 AM
So Dave, does that solve bone conflicts with multiple characters in a scene? I recently worked on a project with Motionbuilder and Lightwave, and naming convention was a slight issue.

Say you have the reference node of two characters, one named CharA and one named CharB.

You have them both boned in a Lightwave scene.

For whatever reason you end up animating just CharA in Motionbuilder (only one character in the scene).

Can you "Merge with FBX" of just one animated character into a lightwave scene with multiple characters?

Nemoid
06-17-2003, 09:09 PM
i had many probs too but now i solved them.
left and right leg link are there and the char smothly characterize . i only fixed some error i made in naming some bones, and applied a null as a reference. then went in layout and parented left up leg and rightupleg to hips. Done!!! pay attention all naming is case sensitive and must be exacly as written in MB

the char must be in a t stance, like the chars in MB. then save your scene, and all objects.then export. in Mb add a new path for choosing the directory, then choose in templates character and drag it upon your model and choose characterize from the popup menu wich appears (if doesn't appear, then it will not characterize automatically) Done!!

hope it helps.

serc
02-08-2005, 04:39 AM
hello! wow, this thread is kinda out of date.. the last post was in 2003, and now its 2005. k, heres my question,

1. i did my character model in maya, and did the bones and naming in maya.

2. then i went to http://www.bvhfiles.com/doBVHLibraryLogin.php to get .bvh animations, and i want my character to follow the bvh file. so what i did was i made a new file, imported the bvh file into it and renamed the skeleton to what MB wants. then i characterized it and saved it as NEWFBX

3. i opened my fbx(character file) and merged the NEWFBX file into it. and then i chose my character and edit>input> chose "walklong"(the bvh animation).

4. my character did SLIGHTLY follow the animation, but it didnt folllow 100%, the hands werent following at all!

thats my question? why doesnt my character follow the input animation fully. here ill post a picture...

tqs in advance!

http://www.smokeanddust.com/forum/forumMB.jpg

cgtriguy
05-03-2005, 10:18 PM
I am having the exact same problem. i can not get the arms to match the bvh file. Did you ever find a solution?

CGTalk Moderation
05-03-2005, 10:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.