PDA

View Full Version : noob weighting question

admkrk
10-29-2008, 05:28 AM
i have a model(not mine) that i rigged. i'm wondering if i'm just pushing the mesh too far for the rig or if i can correct it with weighting. i can live with the limits if means not building a new rig, and i think that might be the case, but i'd like to push it as far as i can. maybe just reposition a bone or 2? anyway, i hope that makes sence and these pics do as well.

tia, kirk

ThE_JacO
10-29-2008, 02:32 PM
It's hard to tell what the positioning is like with just a perspective viewport and the bones shown in Xray mode. It could be at any depth or position and I can't tell.
That sharp break in the mesh though is definitely a weight that's too contrasted. Smoothing them out and maybe tweaking the bones position (depending from what that leg will have to do) will definitely give you better results.

If you need a median placement though, with the deformers along the actual leg bones, you will either have to live with the squash and loss of volume coming from that, which are normal consequences of linear blending in envelopes, or revisit the rig and the deformers.

comanche
10-29-2008, 03:56 PM
Secondary Shape Modeling based on the bone's rotation could also solve the problem. But like the_jaco suggested, look into the bone positioning and weighting first, then finally tweak the shapes *after* the bone rotation in Secondary Shape Mode.

admkrk
10-29-2008, 10:41 PM
thanks guys, i built the rig based on the original except for a couple extra bones i added to the feet. so far, shifting the weight has just shifted the break. i'll try a more general blending and/or moving the bones a bit. i'll see how it goes later on tonight when i have more time.

CGTalk Moderation
10-29-2008, 10:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.