PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the right school

lilurik
10-28-2008, 11:36 PM
Looking for a good animation college that will teach me the basic to advanced animation and prepare me for a job in 3d animation world. When I graduate I hope to work for Pixar or Disney. I have some understanding of 3d animation and worked with 3ds max in High school. http://www.jonbaird.net/ is my portfolio.

I have looked at Full Sail University, Digital Media Arts College, and Ringling College of art and design. I am thinking of attending Ringling. If anyone has any feedback on that school or if you recommend a different school please share. It would be greatly appreciated.

lifeofillusion
10-29-2008, 03:17 PM
dude you overlooking prolly the best one from the list...

Animation Mentor (http://forums.cgsociety.org/www.animationmentor.com)

googboog8
10-30-2008, 04:36 AM
animation mentor is not the best, nowhere near it. and neither are most of the schools you mentioned. they're just looking for money and will give admission to anyone who asks.
ringling is a good school, so is sheridan. probably one of the best but getting in isn't easy.

vancouver film school is pretty good but it's 1 year and so it pretty much depends on the student. they give you the knowledge and resources, the rest is upto you. they wont spoonfeed you or even criticize you if you're going wrong (well not much). that's upto you and your fellow students.

vfs is a good school but all they really care about is a good demo reel for them to use to lure in more students. however, if you're okay with that then it's all good.
it's probably the best of the schools offering a degree in less than 4 years. stay away from fullsail or UAT or whatever thats called

Matt_Forcum
11-03-2008, 04:09 AM
I would factor the schools traditional arts prowess into your decision making. I have found my life drawing, color theory, art history, and sculpture classes I took in college to be a very valuable part of my growth as an artist and animator.

sundialsvc4
11-03-2008, 11:28 AM
When I graduate I hope to work for Pixar or Disney. I have some understanding of 3d animation and worked with 3ds max in High school.

:rolleyes: Yah. You and about ten zillion other "hopefuls" similarly-situated. :rolleyes:

In ten years or so, the world will be stuffed with 3D animators looking for work, so you'd better be discarding the rosy notion (which schools will be all-too-eager to encourage) that any school can hand you "the Golden Ticket." It ain't there.

Bust that bubble right-now and go look for another one. In 3D, o'course... Yes, in 3D... What I'm saying is, "it won't come to you. You have to go looking for it. And the best place to look is where everybody else in your class isn't."

"Leave no stone un-turned." "Think outside the box." Ten years from now, we won't be doing animation "the way Walt did it." As computers become more and more powerful, the animation business as we know it will not exist, and the operative words in that sentence are: "as we know it." You can wind up paying a lot of money for skills that are basically obsolete already. One of my aunts actually paid a lot of money for a course that was teaching her how to be a punched-card operator. They took her money, anyway, and they scrapped all that equipment the same year. (They knew, and they knew she didn't...)

The data-processing business (of which this is a part...) is the only industry that constantly re-defines itself. Change does not "happen to it." You are hitting a moving target. You'll never feel like you're riding the bus ... always running after it, hangin' on to the fender. Been that way for 25 years so far. I'm used to it.

What we do know, however, is that the demand for 3D material will be insatiable ... and, we must hope, the work-product will not merely consist of "cute little bug-eyed creatures doing stupid things for eight-year-olds." It won't just consist of feature-films and commercials. It won't just consist of "isn't the draft a good thing" :rolleyes: war-games.

So, when I say, "leave no stone un-turned," I really mean, "look at the entire process of making 3D material; look at all of the types of material that are or will be produced; and really think about what jazzes you." I don't mean fame-n-fortune; I don't mean golden tickets. I mean, something you could actually slog through eight or ten hours a day, every day, and actually really, really, enjoy it...

You're not going to find it. Not right away... how could you? But it never hurts to think, from the get-go, "What Color Is Your Parachute (tm)?" Or: "Do what you love, and the money will follow." Satisfying work is out there, and thirty years hence it will still be out there. But there is no Golden Ticket that will hand it to you.

CGTalk Moderation
11-03-2008, 11:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.