PDA

View Full Version : IK/FK switching...

Ibanezhead
06-11-2003, 08:58 PM
Does anyone know if it's best to use the IK/FK switching in Maya alone, or to use an arm with the 3 rig setup, like what IKJoe has...

Vic

goosh
06-11-2003, 09:56 PM
I did the IK-Joe set-up way before there was a good ik/fk system in Maya..

Now with 5 you should be able to use maya's one without a problem.

If I was going to create a very complex rig, I'm still not sure if I would use the built in one though.. but I haven't experimented, so I don't know..

Use the one in Maya 5.. it works great... and it's pretty much the same as the one built in Ik-Joe

Good luck

Goosh

Ibanezhead
06-11-2003, 10:45 PM
what about in Maya 4.5?

thanks!

Vic

goosh
06-11-2003, 11:01 PM
I wouldn't use the one in 4.5

it's kind of broken...

G

Ckerr812
06-11-2003, 11:05 PM
Someone feal free to correct me if I am wrong...

But, I don't see the need for FK/IK switching, being trained on earlier version of Maya, I would think the real issue is converting from Local to global space in the IK handle?

I mean, I just wrote a little script that uses an expression to convert from local to World space (my first script ever)! and it works (only on my rigs though) haven't figured out how to make it work with others. So far I haven't seen a problem, wouldn't that be a better direction to take then trying to struggle with turning off an animation control that dosen't need to be turned off?

Again, it seems like unnessesary work, but I see everyone does it on the interent here?

Ibanezhead
06-12-2003, 12:06 AM
so what's broken about the 4.5 version..?

I guess the real issue is that I'm having a little trouble with the IKJoe setup at the wrist, when using IK. When bending the wrist, it bends the arm, due to the pivot location, and the extra bone at the palm, it seems. I tried moving the hand controller pivot to another location, which worked for bending the wrist, but then the wrist twist goes a little off. Does this make sense?

thanks,

Vic

loked
06-12-2003, 01:13 AM
I'm actually busy writing a tutorial on this now and it should be done pretty soon. I will post it as soon as it's done. I prefer to use 3 skeletons, but I dont own 5.0, so I dont really have a choice :sad:

IK-Joe is really a nice setup and you can learn alot from it! :thumbsup:

Later:wavey:
Loked

GrafOrlok
06-12-2003, 12:54 PM
I just had a qick look at the IK/FK switching in Maya 5 and from what I could tell it seems like they've finally made it. Very easy to use. I haven't used it in production yet, so I can't tell how useful it is, but it seems to work similar to if you had a 3 arm rig.

goosh
06-12-2003, 05:39 PM
Yeah.. I haven't used it either, just checked it out and it looked great..

My only concern is that I like to put a mid-forearm and a mid upperarm and I'm not sure how well it would handle that..

I guess I should try it and then see :)

Goosh

nottoshabi
06-13-2003, 06:15 PM
I have experimented with both and I preffer the 3 arm rig any day. The tutorials were kinda misleading for the Maya set up, but I'm not giving up maybe I can merge the 2 together. The maine problem I have about the 3 arm is some where in the set up, when I aply the Ik handel it twists the arm, and its quite fustrating cause it does not happen all the time and I cant put my finger on it, wich really ticks me off. Maybe with 5 I could fix this problem or go around it cause it really sucks and its quite time consuming.

If anyone has any sugestions. You got my attencion.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.