PDA

View Full Version : Affordable Power PC's

Nazanin
10-28-2008, 04:23 PM
I am in desperate need of a new computer this one is getting ridiculous can't render anything in any sort of acceptable speed. The system must be 5 years old now running on :-

Old old AMD 1.09 GHZ!
1 Gig RAM
nVidia 6600 512mb
and a little 15inch screen

Anything with the glass or liquid in just takes ridiculous render time 5hour+ and this is normally for a relativly simple image just with basic GI slapped on its not even worth trying to make anything complicated.

So far I have 300 stashed away for a new PC (putting 100 away each month when I get paid, but christmas is soon-ish will get lots then, hopefully).

I was looking at this http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?PAGE=PRODUCTVIEWPAGE&USG=PRODUCT&ENT=PRODUCT&KEY=425896 looks very nice 8 gig RAM etc.... but ideally would like something a little cheaper, I looked at Dells studio PC's with 4 gig RAM but they supplied you with Windows Vista 32 bit which only supports max 3 gig RAM so a bit silly....

Anyone got any ideas or suggestion.

Cant wait to upgrade :)

Lexalotacus
10-28-2008, 04:31 PM
Just got a new 17" MacBook Pro... Had a 20" iMac before. Macs are awesome, runs everything better than anything I've ever owned without a single problem in years. I'm not bashing on anything else so please dont start the age old war, im just saying Im sold on apple.

UrbanFuturistic
10-28-2008, 05:55 PM
This would be much better answered in Hardware (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=23).

thethule
10-28-2008, 06:03 PM
Whatever you do, dont buy the MESH. Terrible terrible computers. Save up a bit more and get cheap, powerful Dell. I saw an ad yesterday for a quad core 4 gb 500Gb or 1Tb (i cant remember) XPS with firewire input etc......for 550 quid. Good machine, good specs for the price and with some regular cleaning will go very far. I bought a similar spec last year, put win xp 64 on it and it was very fast. Now its loaded with renders and por...umm videos, its a bit slow, but rendering is still pretty damn fast. For 500 quid, you its a good machine. And yes, this would be better being asked in the hardware forum

Dont buy mesh, tiny, etc....

olson
10-28-2008, 06:21 PM
Your cash will go a lot farther with a system built from components. If you've ever upgraded your own system with memory, video card, hard disk, whatever - then you already have the knowledge needed to build your own system.

Its hard to beat a quad core setup from AMD in terms of bang for the buck. Some of the Phenom processors can be had for as little as $130. Cheers!

Nazanin
10-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Sorry looks like its been moved now though.

Yeah AMD are far cheaper most places dont seem to do them though...

Why are MESH so bad I was really quite liking the look of that computer. As for making my own computer out of components I really wouldnt want to do that again, dont ask I just dont.

Will look at Dell more if someone give a good reason as to why MESH are so bad (I have heard there bad before but dont know why). If anyone knows a good website for custom bulding PC's though....

Also what about this place http://www.arbico.co.uk/Professional-PCs-p-1-c-332.html seems good but once again only does 32bit windows which make the 4 Gig RAM pointless.... just will cause massive hassle trying to get 64bit once I have the PC would just make life easier it coming with 64bit.

Thanks for the help so far guys :)

thethule
10-29-2008, 11:43 AM
Just cheap cheap components. And as far as building your own, sorry, but i dont believe that you could build a machine of the same spec as the DELL for that much less. Certainly not enough to make the hassle of building your own worth it. I may be wrong though, but i doubt it, dont forget that you get a copy of windows included in the price...

Nazanin
10-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Yeah I get a copy of 32bit I need 64bit.

So is a mesh a definite no?

biliousfrog
10-29-2008, 05:57 PM
Dell's are hardly the holy grail of PC's, for a start they'll have a power supply that is just enough for the installed components so any upgrades are likely to blow it...happened to 3 Dell PC's in my old job when the graphics card was upgraded, their tech support consists of a call center in Dheli where they just go through the Windows help system and the case fans are the noisiest I've ever heard. They're cheap for a reason...but there are the odd bargains in the Dell Outlet which is where they sell the returned and refurbished stock.

olson
10-29-2008, 08:54 PM
Just cheap cheap components. And as far as building your own, sorry, but i dont believe that you could build a machine of the same spec as the DELL for that much less.

Completely and utterly untrue. I can't say if its worth the time for you, but I know it certainly was for me. Saved me literally thousands of dollars. If you don't believe me I can make a comparison. Cheers!

Nazanin
10-30-2008, 10:36 AM
I dont know guys Im still swaying towards the mesh just comes with everything as I need would keep life simple, does anyone have any first hand experience with why there so bad?

I also looked at Cougar Extreme for custom builing my own PC, seemed pretty good there?

DisturbeD2k
10-30-2008, 12:45 PM
Agree with frog.
I opened up a Dell machine for a friend to check inside for upgrade potential. The actual PSU had a funnel leading from it that blasted air onto the cpu.

andytw
10-30-2008, 11:35 PM
I would be surprised if you could match the Mesh PC specification on any other site for the same price, I struggle to get close to that spec. when using the cheapest components available for a self build.
The cheapest Dell I could find lacks 4GB RAM and Vista 64 at the same price.

Most of the problems I've seen mentioned on other Forums with Mesh seem to be related to their after sales service when things have gone wrong rather than poor hardware (the two Mesh PCs I've seen have mainly used OEM components from recognised manufacturers).

If you have enough knowledge of PC hardware to narrow faults down to the point where you can be certain the fault is hardware or supplied drivers/software then the PC is good value, If your PC knowledge is limited then personally I'd go with a manufacturer with a better reputation for their after sales service/support.

PanzerMKZ
11-01-2008, 05:07 PM
maybe I am missing why 32bit os is a problem. you buy a box and then you can put what ever os you want on it.

Panzer

andytw
11-01-2008, 08:42 PM
maybe I am missing why 32bit os is a problem. you buy a box and then you can put what ever os you want on it.

Panzer

The problem is that many OEM manufacturers don't offer a choice of OS (or no OS) on all of their systems.
While you can buy and install another OS yourself it will cost extra and possibly invalidate any warranty offered with the system.
If you want the option of having 8GB of RAM either now or in the future it makes little sense to buy a system with a 32 bit OS installed.
Also if you buy an OEM OS and install it yourself Microsoft will not give you support and retail OS's cost a lot more to purchase which makes no sense on a budget build.

The ideal solution is to go to a local PC builder who can build to your exact requirements but they will almost certainly be more expensive than Mesh for a similar system to the one linked.

tfortier
11-01-2008, 09:19 PM
Come on guys... Dell up the quality a lot since 6-7 years. Inspiron are ok and Vostro are just great. The case is amazing for heat dissipation. And you dont buy a Dell for upgrade it, because with the money you save you can buy another one next year when the CPU are stronger (and render on the old one). I would recommend without hesitation going for a vostro of around 700 or 800$. You'll get a 3ghz Duo2core, a 8600gt, probably a screen and if memory is not enough (2gb?) just take 35$ and add 2 more gb yourself its so cheap now.

Im working on such workstation running XSI, Lightwave and After Effects. The 8600gt cards is enought for everything and only start lagging over 2 millions polygons. with the extra money I got a 30inch screen!!! wouhouuu!

it would be silly to spend more money on a system when the new i7 processors are so near. I know its hard to admit for those who spend 3000$ and more on a machine but you can do the job perfectly on a 600$ machine. Its all about talent and discipline, you know!

Nazanin
11-02-2008, 08:53 AM
Alright thanks for all the help guys :)

I think I am probably going to go for the MESH just too keep my life simpler and get everything I need with it, cant imagine needing after sales service unless its broken when it arrives (fingers crossed nothing like that will happen)..... I am sure there are just as much horror stories floating aroudn the internet linked to Dell and other....

I will see whats around when I have enough money though, sometime just after christmas, have 300 now, may well end up going with Dell.

Thanks for all the help :)

CGTalk Moderation
11-02-2008, 08:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.