PDA

View Full Version : My 2008 TD Demo Reel

edwardG
10-28-2008, 06:58 AM
*EDIT* The link has been fixed to show the new reel.

You can check it out on Vimeo at:

http://www.vimeo.com/2177233 (http://www.vimeo.com/2177233)

There is also a link to download it at the bottom of the web page.

Any comments & criticisms welcome! I need to hear some honest feedback about it.

EricDLegare
10-28-2008, 11:55 AM
Ok, Honest comments follows ;)

- The animated intro with your name bouncing... Personally I can't stand those, when I watch reels and I see that kind of intro, my mouse cursor automatically goes to the "close" button and waits for any weakness in the reel to skip to the next reel. Also, when it takes 10-15 seconds to see the first rig in the reel, that's a bad start : your reel is being watched fast in a line of other reels, you have to think about the real viewers ;)

- I would also remove the "robot-leg-piston rig" it's too simple and drags your reel back ( so it's wasting some precious time in your reel ;) )

- The Facial UI is great, I really liked the idea to have a "Face Camera View" directly in the UI. That's the kind of stuff you should put more emphasis on.

- The overall presentation is cool too.

Keep up the good work ;)

d-brooks
10-28-2008, 02:18 PM
It's a good reel, I like the fact you're starting to automate your setups. I agree with what is said above.

The COG pivot was cool. Maybe you could put in space switching ie. lock hand to hips etc.

The deformer controls on the arms, didn't seem to give nice deformation. Maybe some more divisions in the geometry or a method using deformers as opposed to joints?

I've revised the way I deform limbs recently, the thing is with joints is that they rely on the skinning present to make the arm bend, so for areas like the elbow you might be shifting around soft areas and sharp areas.

Good reel overall dude, I look forward to seeing how you progress

edwardG
10-29-2008, 07:04 PM
Some changes were made to the video. I re-arranged some of the things on it and hopefully added some value to the reel.

edwardG
11-07-2008, 06:23 AM
See link in first post for the new video. Thanks for all your comments!

EricDLegare
11-07-2008, 11:58 AM
See link in first post for the new video. Thanks for all your comments!

"Sorry, "EG_DemoReel_2008" was deleted at Fri Nov 7 12:45:37 2008. We have no more information about it on our mainframe or elsewhere."

Thats my comment ! You should always check and double-check when sending a link to your reel, can you imagine what happens with your application when the employer get such wrong link, you will be discarded without any chance to show your skills.

Also, get a website, at least some hosting space to provide a direct download link to your reel, it will give you a little bit more professional look ( at a cheap price ! :P )

It's REALLY BAD, when you try to see someone's reel and you face such message.

Using those "file hosting sites" can sound like "Well, I won't invest in a website because I'm not sure I'm good enough or will get a job so I can't afford it."

You are in a COMPETITION, a ROUGH COMPETITION, everything you can do to be THE ONE you should do :)

edwardG
11-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Whoops, forgot to fix the hyperlink up top (I changed the address in the post but forgot to change the link). It should work now.

I've been slowly designing my website, don't worry. :) I've just only been posting my reel here to get some feedback on it.

CGTalk Moderation
11-07-2008, 05:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.