PDA

View Full Version : Modelling an eyelid need help

KradisZ
10-28-2008, 02:17 AM
I was just modelling a face and realized that most character's faces I've modelled don't really have a great eye lid other then a ring of edges that is just pulled out... can anyone offer me some tips or advice on modelling better eyelids? I'm not exactly sure how to model the crevice the skin folds into when one's eyes are open

NickCaligo42
10-31-2008, 01:53 PM
Not sure about the folds of the eyelids myself. I know that they stretch a good deal. From what it sounds like, though, you aren't actually looking at a photo reference of eyelids. People act like artists pull this stuff out of their butts, but it all depends on heavy referencing to get the realism. Get a photo of some eyelids, compare it side-by-side with your model, and ask yourself what your model has that the eyelids don't or what the eyelids have that your model doesn't.

One common mistake I find is that people put an edge loop around the eye and pull it forward and expect it to be eyelids. True enough it's got a top lid and a bottom lid, but it always makes the eye look uncharacteristically puffy or swollen. My suggestion if this is the case is to collapse the edges at the corners of the eye and adjust the resulting vertices accordingly. This results in a much more natural look. I don't know how far along you are without a couple of screenshots, though, so I can't say for sure this is the solution for you.

CGTalk Moderation
10-31-2008, 01:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.