PDA

View Full Version : rigging an ED 209 robot

doneydonydone
10-28-2008, 01:49 AM
here is an animation created by 3dblasphemy.com of ED 209 from robocop

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Xmk0r3fcFi8

could anyone help determine what would be the best/easiest way to animate a robot like this

i am planning ot create the robotfor my uni assignment but am struggling to determine which software to use .. max or maya .. or model and rig it in maya/max then transfer to motionbuilder etc etc

and pointers, tips, hints, tutorials, guidance would be greatly appreciated and if necessary would be mentioned in my presentation and showreel

thanks for a speedy response guys...

Lee

DizzyJ
10-28-2008, 05:28 AM
You could use any general 3D package you know. If you don't know one, I'd suggest downloading demos to see which one fits your way of working best. I don't think there's a good reason to try to learn a specialized package like motion builder if you're just learning animation, though.

MolemanSD7
10-28-2008, 03:37 PM
The overall rig looks like it would be pretty simple to setup. Any package could be used to do this pretty readily, so use whichever one you are the most familiar.

As far as the setup, if you have a specific question I could try to help, but I couldn't recommend a setup for the whole thing....too in depth to do here. But, general guidelines, would be to think about all the functionality you want. How does he need to move? What does he need to be able to do? Then, figure out the systems for how to set those up individually, and finally combine then. That way, one you figure out the individual parts, you can always create a script to automate the process, and make future setups fast.

CGTalk Moderation
10-28-2008, 03:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.