PDA

View Full Version : Bouncing_Ball

camael
10-27-2008, 02:50 PM
Hello, here is my first attempt at animation, the basic bouncing Ball.
Please let me know what you think.

cheers
Alex

http://www.vimeo.com/2080527

Frogman
10-27-2008, 11:45 PM
Hi Alex -

you've made a bouncing ball (with rotation mind you) - Great job!

I think what you have looks just fine. My only suggestion is that you you play around with your timing - try cutting out a frame or two in the first and second bounces and see how it feels or adjust your tangents a bit at the bottom of the bounce. The ball just feels slightly too light in for it to come down so fast (or slightly too heavy to have as much hang time) in the first bounce. Keep what you have, try some adjustments, and see what feels better (they will all 'look' technically correct .. just a 'feel' slightly different').

camael
10-29-2008, 01:51 PM
Hi, Frogman

thanks for your Critiques there was very helpful.

This is the revison after some minor changes, what do you think?

http://vimeo.com/2099167

Thanks
Alex

Frogman
10-30-2008, 05:13 AM
The ball feels lighter over all now than in the first animation.

Check your curves on the third bounce - it seems to come down a bit faster than it goes up. Also, plot the peak of the bounces on the ball (dry erase markers are great for that) - you should end up with an even diagonal line or diminishing curve.. If you draw a right angle "L" from the peak of the bounces to the point of contacts with the surface you should see the bases of the L getting respectively shorter. See how narrow the arc is on the first bounce? The rest would have a similar arc - (try moving the ball off screen to the left to adjust the first bounce in to the same relation with the rest that you've animated (about 6 grid lines back from where the ball lands on the first bounce). That should get you approximately the same bounce height/distance ratio as the other bounces.

OR - don't worry about any of that - you've made two successful ball bouncing animations - they both look and feel like a ball bouncing. Start from scratch and churn out a few more with different weights and force. The more you do, the better youwill be.

Good work on the the ball coming to a stop - very successful.

CGTalk Moderation
10-30-2008, 05:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.