PDA

View Full Version : Rigging a good choice?

fraserad
10-26-2008, 07:52 AM
I'm currently studying character animation and want to be a character animator but I want to try and have another skill set aswell.

I was thinking about learning some basic rigging and lighting/rendering to see how I like them both. I haven't really done any of either and I was just wondering whether its recommended that you know how to model before you learn to rig? as I'm not a huge fan of modeling.

Also I was going to start with the Digital Tutors DVD. Is this an ok place to start? I was also wondering what you practice rigging on if you dont create your own models? Do you just download meshes to rig?

Any hints / tip / suggestions would be great.

Thanks

stewartjones
10-26-2008, 09:58 AM
You don't need to know how to model, however you need to know about a few things like topology and blendshape creation... So if you do know how to model it only makes life much easier in the long run!

MolemanSD7
10-27-2008, 03:19 PM
I say go for the rigging stuff...but that's personally my personal interest. I'm an animator by trade, but love getting into setting up Rigs and MEL scripting etc. It can really help if you get a job too, and need to modify existing rigs/pipelines, etc. as I've had to do where I work. The best rigging dvd's I've seen to date are Jason Schleifer's Animator Friendly Rigging...but they can get kind of expensive since there are so many. But, if you buy one in each series (4 total I believe) they come with a pdf that takes you through the whole of the series. By this I mean, instead of buying videos 1a, 1b, 1c, get 1a, and the pdf takes you through 1c.

But, you really just have to pursue what you're the most interested in. If you want to be any good at it, you have to enjoy it. Hope this helps.

CGTalk Moderation
10-27-2008, 03:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.