PDA

View Full Version : what about a CG Talk volunteer feature?

monkeysweat
10-25-2008, 01:50 AM
After reading Worldofgrim's post about his fully solo work getting out to the public(all be it on a limited scale), and reading llive's response, I started to wonder how many of us would be willing to work on a large scale volunteer feature.

I suspect that the pros in the society may be too busy to contribute, but what of all us amatuers? We'll all trying to work on our reels and get jobs, but all that has always kinda felt piecemeal to me. I've always wanted to do my own flicks since childhood, and have in fact done little things here and there for the last 15yrs. I know alot of us share this same vision, and don't really care that much about the money...it's about the work we love.

With all the talent here, I believe we could put out something that, while not quite Pixar, could really catch people by surprise.

If the mods were willing maybe we could get a dedicated section, and run it with a similar shedule to the challenges.

or maybe I'm just ranting a bit

Artbot
10-25-2008, 04:32 AM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=73

ThE_JacO
10-25-2008, 08:47 AM
Been done before, and that included some mods putting a lot of their time into it (Kirt in first place). It didn't go very far and people, as usual, showed that they are ready jump into any project, but hardly ever commit to it or get anywhere close to the end.
The team entries in challenges, and a smidge of social networking in selected forums, are all you need to run something like that yourself to grow proficient and have motivation, deadlines and a potential prize at the end.

ernesttx
10-25-2008, 03:53 PM
I think for this to get running, someone would need to take the lead. Organization would be the big factor as well.

First things first would be a script or story. Let people read it and then decide if they want to be a part of it.

Next, would be to list out the positions needed; ie, modelers, rigging, lighting, scene setup.

Then, a shot breakdown. Assign tasks or shots to individuals.

Without the breakdown of job titles, who's doing what, and the story, people won't have any idea of what is going on.

If someone has a script or story that they've been wanting to get produced, offer it up to the community. Let others get involved with character development, story arcs, plots, set design, etc.

And for thosse interested, Episode 6 of my series is out in the wild - www.animace.biz (http://www.animace.biz) - enjoy :)

monkeysweat
10-26-2008, 04:00 AM
Yea, I had a feeling others may have had the same idea. Too bad not enough people get involved though. I was thinking more about it and all kinds of complications started to arise in my mind about such a project. Who would want to produce something like this? I mean, it's hard enough to do the scheduling for a small staff let alone a bunch of people spread all over the world. Then I started thinking about the computer recources needed to pull this off...who's gonna give us free render time. What about all the licensing issues? What about continuity of style..we'd need some people dedicated to art direction positions....the list goes on and on. None of this is impossible mind you, just way too complicated.

Nothing is really stopping any of us from starting something like this. But man, the task sure is a daunting one.
_end of line

softdistortion
10-26-2008, 12:31 PM
Like Jaco already mentioned there are team entry options on the challenges, which was a great addition imo for CGT to do!

There are also already projects that have run successful collab teams projects in the collab forum right here!

Shirowproject for one....we even published a book that chronicles 3 years as a team and the meager yet high quality stills and clips we produced.

Fetch is also still very active and looking for animators.

www.collabunlimited.com was also started to help promote and facilitate original projects, and what you guys are talking about...it has a long way to go, and needs the support of all who are really keen on promoting project collaborations. :buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
10-26-2008, 12:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.