PDA

View Full Version : motion path cycle of dependancy

carsonmorton
10-25-2008, 12:57 AM
I'm attach a locator to a motion path. No matter what settings I apply, I keep getting the same warning:

// Warning: Cycle on 'addDoubleLinear1.output' may not evaluate as expected. (Use 'cycleCheck -e off' to disable this warning.) //

When I look in the connections hypergraph there are 3 addDoubleLinear nodes that take inputs from the curve and send outputs back to the curve. The warning only mentions the 1.

I'm extremely new to playing with nodes. I have no clue what they do or how to fix them. They don't actually seem to be a problem, but there is a warning, and i'd like to fix it.

I'm trying to make a spine using this, and I'd rather not see a warning every time I move the spine.

mberglund
10-25-2008, 04:07 PM
You only get that warning when maya has detected a cycle or loop meaning that you have a node A that is controlling node B, and you have node B that is controlling node A. this is cycle and maya will spit out a warning to you.

here is an old post that might help.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=46879

carsonmorton
10-27-2008, 06:40 PM
Mostly what I took from that other thread is that maya just creates these cycles on it's own. Some people just ingore them.

I can't just ignore it though, becase it chugs when I move things around. (i'm using several locators on the motion path for a spine)

I've tried deleting some of the connections to try to get rid of the cycle. I found some that seem to fix the problem. However I'm concerned that it's going to create issues down the pipeline.

Dichotomy
10-27-2008, 08:52 PM
There are so many ways it could be happening. We would have to know how the locator is attached, how your hierarchy is set up, what else is affecting your curve, etc etc. If you could give a quick run down of how things are set up, that might help us see the problem.

carsonmorton
11-05-2008, 01:37 AM
Well, deleting those links hasn't caused any issues so far.

As for a rundown of what i'm doing:

drawing a curve (in side view)
creating a locator
selecting both curve and locator
'attach to motion path'
creating clusters from controle verts so i can move the curve
even just doing this in a clean scene was still giving me the issues.

CGTalk Moderation
11-05-2008, 01:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.