PDA

View Full Version : Virus Program Recommendations

metabog
10-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Looking for recommendations regarding virus protection software.
I'm connecting my setup to the internet with a wireless router (linksys)
I've got a Boxx Dual Quad 8300 running Vista Ultimate 64 bit.
In the past on another computer I've had difficulties with Kapersky interfering with my wireless internet connection.

Signal2Noise
10-26-2008, 11:05 PM
What kind of problems were you experiencing with Kaspersky in the past? KIS2009 is what I was going to recommend.

I've been using Kaspersky trouble-free for a year now on all 5 of my computers including two 64-bit Vista systems. I also use a Linksys WRT610N router.

olson
10-26-2008, 11:45 PM
I've had good luck with Avast for several years, there's a free version for non-commercial use. Cheers!

brianod
10-27-2008, 01:15 AM
I like AVG by Grisoft. Their free version is excellent.

salmonmoose
10-27-2008, 02:40 AM
Another vote for Avast, despite the annoying American man who tells you about your virus status, it's an excellent package, and as noted, free for non-commercial use. Also has OSX and Linux versions for those that realize that ALL computers can get viruses.

NOD32 is also good, but doesn't have that whole "free" thing going for it so I don't use it anymore.

Halford
10-27-2008, 10:11 AM
I never been so satisfied with an antivirus as I'm with NOD32.

I recomend it 200% never had a problem since I got it installed on my machines.

I used to have karspersky, very good too, but NOD32 it's even more light and efficent.

you will not notice its presence ! (a part of been virus free :D )

my 2 cents

Hal.

Magnus3D
10-27-2008, 11:02 AM
There can be only one.. and that one is no other than Eset NOD32! it rocks, and works beautifully even on a 64bit OS and it also uses less systemresources compared to all the other antivirus software out there. Ontop of that it comes at a nice price. :)

/ Magnus

RedPhoenix
10-27-2008, 01:41 PM
avast now and forever.

well, not literally forever but u get the picture. ;)

it's a very good free AV.

biliousfrog
10-27-2008, 03:22 PM
Just to open this up a bit, any firewall recomendations? I'm using AVG internet security and, since using my second NIC for a render farm, it has gone haywire. I dread turning on any other computers because I know that they'll be blocked despite configuring it every bloody day...actually, I've opened it up so much now that I could probably fit an elephant down the cable and it wouldn't notice but I bet it would still block me from saving to my NAS. :sad:

Halford
10-27-2008, 04:02 PM
Well... I used to have ZoneAllarm, but I wasn't that happy... at this very moment I have a free onerunning on my pc and server and for the moment I'm pretty pleased.

Comodo firewall... For the period I've been using it and knowing it's a free application I'm pretty satisfied.

on the otherside, the comodo antivirus gave me trouble night and day.

Hal.

metabog
10-27-2008, 05:37 PM
Tried the Avast anti-virus and so far so good. I'll check out the Comodo firewall.

olson
10-27-2008, 06:23 PM
Just to open this up a bit, any firewall recomendations? I'm using AVG internet security and, since using my second NIC for a render farm, it has gone haywire. I dread turning on any other computers because I know that they'll be blocked despite configuring it every bloody day...actually, I've opened it up so much now that I could probably fit an elephant down the cable and it wouldn't notice but I bet it would still block me from saving to my NAS. :sad:

What's wrong with the built in firewall? Does it not perform a function that's necessary for your setup? I've found third party firewalls to be more problematic than helpful these days. Cheers!

andytw
10-27-2008, 10:00 PM
If you want a complete package then Eset's "Smart Security" adds a fire wall, Spam filter and other options to their NOD32 antivirus.

I've had it running on my two systems for a year with no problems.

Szos
10-28-2008, 04:22 AM
I used to run AVG but recently switched to AVAST. I honestly think either one is quite good, but simply opted for AVAST this time around due to a couple of slightly better reviews I read. Oh, and both are free.

Concerning Firewall, why would you need a software firewall, but you plug your PC through a router? Hardware firewall should be better than any software firewall... and it won't eat up precious CPU-cycles.

heavyness
10-28-2008, 05:30 AM
NOD 32 here. i do turn off a lot of options like MS Office protection [don't use office], email protection [i use gmail], and online protection [i'm safe online]. so i just have it watch files being written to the harddrive and such. fast, take up little resources, never had a virus get by it.

even though i do have a hardware router, i still use the free zonealarm. while a hardware router will protect you from attacks coming in, a software one will protect you if any software/trojans get on your pc and try to dial out [which is what most trojans and spyware does]. once again, zonealarm takes little resources and fast.

salmonmoose
10-28-2008, 05:58 AM

You can't beat a hardware firewall.

Either use your router as one or pick up a light-weight low power PC like the Eee PC Desktop with something secure as the OS.

If you have 2 inputs on your monitor, you can even set these boxes up to be an "always on" email/internet box for those quick checkups.

CGTalk Moderation
10-28-2008, 05:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.