PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone create their own partition for skinning?

tymznd
06-11-2003, 07:08 AM
I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out how the partition works / doesn't work.

I have created all my sets, used them to create a partition, rigid binded to it.... but it just doesn't work??

Please:D :D SOMEONE HELP:cry:

This was my earlier thread about this:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64352

anthonymcgrath
06-27-2003, 09:54 AM
hmm, strange - I'm currently at work on some character that needs rigid binding (ingame stuff).

I haven't really worked with partitions but what I found worked really well for me yesterday was to select the vertices I want to bind to the joint (In my case here - I selected all the vertices in the forearm up to the elbow)

I then selected the joints (In this case elbowJoint and wristJoint)

In the rigid skin options I switched it from 'complete skeleton' to 'selected joints' and hit apply. Using this method, I got pretty good movement working through the character in the same way and testing its movement as I progressed - iterative process unfortunately!

once I had the character entirely bound I spent more time working the character through a range of motions looking carefully for any double binded vertices (you can see these clearly - they have an exaggerated movement - like they're moving at twice the rate of neighouring vertices).
Using the paint set membership tool, I was able to choose these vertices and re-assign the membership to my preferred joint.

Another advantage of working like this is using your Relationship editor (Deformer Set Editing selected in the little menu at top) you can clearly see your sets. Selecting a set, right clicking and choosing "select set members" will select the vertices in that set.

hope this helps out somewhere! like I said - I used all this yesterday but to be honest I didn't touch the relationship editor - I was quite happy with the intuitive paint membership approach - great fun and far quicker!!! :wavey:

tymznd
06-27-2003, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the reply.... but yeah, I have been through this process. In my case though I am unbinding and then binding again.... so imagine going through the process then unbinding the character and then trying to get right back to where you were.

I ended up writing a script to get around this.... and the fact that no one else has replied to this post leads me to think that the partition approach is limited.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.