PDA

View Full Version : Avid plans to divest the Softimage® 3D animation product line.

EdHarriss
10-23-2008, 09:39 PM
"As part of the company's business transformation efforts, Avid also announced today plans to divest the SoftimageR 3D animation product line."

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Avid-Technology-Inc-NASDAQ-AVID-913193.html

and then there is this:

http://worldcadaccess.typepad.com/blog/2008/10/autodesk-buys-softimage.html

Autodesk buys Softimage?
Hmmmm...
I don't think the post on typepad is official, but I wonder...

alvin-cgi
10-23-2008, 10:15 PM
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?id=12022457&siteID=123112

http://community.softimage.com/showthread.php?t=2835

:cry:

LemonNado
10-23-2008, 10:20 PM
Wow..... halloween already?!
Lemo

Ordibble-Plop
10-23-2008, 10:24 PM
From a personal perspective, I am a little upset about the timing of this news. Given the uncertainty around XSI now - and as a hobbiest - I probably wouldn't have just spent $1000 buying into it (upgrade from Foundation) if I had known this earlier.

I guess it wouldn't have made much business sense to announce before the upgrade, but it strikes me as slightly cynical to do it after if they knew this was coming.

Still, there's not much I can do about it now but enjoy what I have and keep my fingers crossed.

HarverdGrad
10-24-2008, 12:05 AM
As a Hobbyist myself, I feel the same. I wouldn't have upgraded to 7.

cgswami
10-24-2008, 12:07 AM
uggh ! Just when i started to be happy with ICE being unique to an INDEPENDANT company . will this may be good financially .. maya wil become nodal .. 3ds will ..

well i just hope XSI continues to grow at the paace it is growing and stay ahead

I wish NT/LW would just fix the nitty gritties .. cause i am really not liking this autodesk shit right about NOW !

and for a measly 35 mil .. ughhhhh ..

fluxist8070
10-24-2008, 12:32 AM
I am so bummed right now.
I liked softimage because it was NOT and Autodesk product. I wonder how this will effect the softimage certification that I JUST started. DAMMIT!

Would anyone like to shed some light on how this is going to be a good thing?

ubermensch76
10-24-2008, 12:39 AM
my instinct says one of the three has to go. I mean why would any company have three similar products in their portfolio ? price wise not much difference between the three, feature wise too.

My gut instinct says it might be XSI. Max is their baby. Maya as brand name and market penetration is too huge to kill off. XSI will suffer a slow death.

Bullit
10-24-2008, 12:43 AM
Probable Good things:

Softimage will not end. In Avid hands that would be probably 99% chance...

Integration with Autodesk products and other produtcs that wish to remain integrated with Autodesk stuff.

More visibility to the various markets.

Autodesk in Schools influence.

If Plugin makers sense that Autodesk will not kill it they will be more willing to develop tools for Softimage and will come faster.

Resources. If Softimage needs technological help for some specific stuff they can get it easier.

Hardware integration.

Post Edited:

Eventual more Mentalray render nodes

More timely updated version

This is the rosy picture...

fluxist8070
10-24-2008, 12:49 AM
I watched the video with the head honchos from both companies and the Autodesk guy was originally from Softimage, hopefully he has a special place in his heart for the product. If they screw this up, I am switching to Blender :beer:

10-24-2008, 12:53 AM
Want to sell my copies and go back to Lightwave now.
But, there will be nobody want to buy it and soon after this the selling to third party will be not permitted.

PixelTricks
10-24-2008, 01:01 AM
I'm a bit upset with this as well.
I just got XSI 7 after having used Max for years and feeling it wasn't going to innovate anytime soon.
Sigh, I guess I will have to take comfort in the fact that XSI 7 is still awesome and there is nothing Autodesk can do to screw that up. It just doesn't look good for XSI 8.

10-24-2008, 01:03 AM
One more thing.
Autodesk policy is you can not software in the other countries that you did not registered in. For instance, you are from Australia and working in the US with you own copy bought and registered in US as freelance. One day you decided to go to work in Tokyo as freelance. It is DOOM!. You can not do that unless you buy the new copy of Autodesk XSI in Japan in order to use there. The policy that I most hate since it is not reflect what is going on in the world now.
I do constantly move from one place to the other for works.

hrgiger
10-24-2008, 01:03 AM
I'm sorry I bought into XSI now. I refuse to support Autodesk.

ThE_JacO
10-24-2008, 01:04 AM
The long story made short, when it comes to the safety of your investments, is that if AD will want to kill any 3d product, it's VERY unlikely to be XSI out of the three.
If your grudge is with the company ethics of AD and how it might potentially affect Soft's old ways, then you can rely on probably 6 to 12 months of grace period before anything really changes, and after that we'll see.

BTW, I'm very proud of how people conduct themselves on the XSI forum, don't make me change my mind please :p
These are big news and have both exciting and scary implications for all of us. I trust everybody in here can keep civil and constructive if they wish to discuss this :)

10-24-2008, 01:11 AM
The other one more thing.
For freelance like me, it is not fair for paying subscription.
With Autodesk, you will need to pay subscription and continuously upgrade, otherwise, after two year, your copies can not be upgraded need to buy the new one.

Ordibble-Plop
10-24-2008, 01:20 AM
I have seen mention by posters of an email sent to XSI customers. I haven't received this yet, so is there any word on what happens with XSI in the immediate and medium-term future?

Has anyone any idea of what will happen regarding:
-Point upgrades
-Maintenance (for existing customers and costs for people wanting to buy it)
-Support
-The XSI community website (e.g. the tutorial section)

Hard facts if available rather than speculation would be appreciated :)

ThE_JacO
10-24-2008, 01:32 AM
Anybody giving you hard facts would be lying through their teeth.
Normally there is a grace period before anything happens, and in that period the plans for the future also get shuffled around quite a lot.

I don't think current agreements will be dishonored in any way, or that AD will even be able to change the next 6 months or so of release plans even if they could be arsed to.

rtd
10-24-2008, 01:51 AM
My maintenance comes up for renewal in about two months. I have a little time to determine a strategy for dealing with 'AutodeskXSI'

Mic_Ma
10-24-2008, 01:59 AM
Oh Dear Lord, is there no fleeing from Autodesk? I thought I escaped their fatty, greasy claws. This is terrible news... Houdini is my last resort...

fluxist8070
10-24-2008, 02:21 AM
Well, I guess no XSI is worse than Autodesk XSI.

slipknot66
10-24-2008, 03:25 AM
But i cant understand the problem here, in terms of future innovation, development of XSI etc.
I think XSI is, and will be XSI. The only difference i can see, is that now it will be called Autodesk Softimage XSI.
Thats the same thing that happened to Maya.
In terms of price, well, then things may change.. or maybe not.

shadowedge
10-24-2008, 04:34 AM
I don't know how things have changed for Maya since AD bought them.
It might not be a bad thing for as long as support / maitenance / and services dont change; or better yet - if things improve.

Im just curious as to how the product name will look in the future:

will it be : Autodesk Softimage XSI or Autodesk XSI?

Maya and Max people are still Maya and Max people
So XSI people will remain XSI people I guess.

It just sort of disturbs me to think that one day-- "a 3d artist - is an autodesk artist" :arteest:

darinclifton
10-24-2008, 05:01 AM
I have been using AD products for more than 20 years, and I can not say that this will be a good thing for Softimage! We have never used XSI in our pipeline but were very seriously considering moving our character pipeline to XSI after Maya was purchased. Autodesk will NOT help flourish product development. The aqusition of Alias and Softimage will only stifle our industry. Competion breeds inovation and now Autodesk can just focus on their share holders as they have done with there 2d Cad products. That may be good for stock holders but it will not be good for the CGI industry! So Sorry XSI users : (

ThE_JacO
10-24-2008, 05:07 AM
well, for years editors were called Avid Artists or Avid Editors... Looks like we'll all be AutoDesk hoes in film credits soon :p

NRG-Alpha
10-24-2008, 05:48 AM
...if AD will want to kill any 3d product, it's VERY unlikely to be XSI out of the three.

While I don't think AD will axe XSI (yet), I must say that if any of those 3 apps did have to get the axe, my money would indeed be on XSI sadly. If only for the reason of the size of its installed user base as compared to Max and Maya. Or put another way, if I had no choice but to upset any group of users, it would be the smallest one...

cgswami
10-24-2008, 05:54 AM
but i am still baffled as to why they - avid would do something like this .. not enough money from the software ... the product was growing massively ... it just needed a year again ...

i hate having second thoughts at the brink of massive decisions ... i have a lot banking on XSI and its future use .....

steups !

I think AD should buy me for 35 mill too and let me have some real R and D time indeed !

Dalkor
10-24-2008, 07:27 AM
I dont know how many of you got this... but this is how I found out...

Important Announcement: Autodesk signs agreement to acquire 3D animation assets of Softimage Co.
From: Autodesk (med_ent@autodesk.com (http://bl142w.blu142.mail.live.com/mail/ApplicationMain_13.1.0132.0805.aspx?culture=en-US&hash=967784139#)) http://gfx2.hotmail.com/mail/w3/pr01/ltr/i_addcontact.gif Add contact (http://bl142w.blu142.mail.live.com/mail/ApplicationMain_13.1.0132.0805.aspx?culture=en-US&hash=967784139#)

Sent:
Thu 10/23/08 4:42 PM

https://leads.autodesk.com/AprimoPortal/serverfiles/MED/softimage_adlogo.gif https://leads.autodesk.com/AprimoPortal/serverfiles/MED/pixel.gif October 23, 2008

Dear Autodesk/Softimage Customer,

We are pleased to announce that Autodesk and Avid Technology have signed a definitive agreement for Autodesk to acquire substantially all of the assets of Softimage, a Canadian subsidiary of Avid Technology. We are excited by this opportunity to join forces, combining two strong teams into a world-class center for computer graphics software research and development.

Both Softimage and Autodesk Media & Entertainment are headquartered in Montreal, Canada. Softimage has been developing state-of-the-art 3D technology for more than 20 years. Its products are recognized as best-ofbreed in the entertainment industry. With nine million users, Autodesk is a world leader in 2D and 3D design software for the media and entertainment, manufacturing, building and construction markets.

Softimage's technology complements Autodesk's entertainment products. Many film, television and game pipelines include products from both companies. Adding Softimage products and technology to Autodesk's entertainment product line will allow us to offer you more complete and efficient workflows.

Upon completion of the acquisition, you will still be able to choose your favorite 3D modeling, animation and rendering solution – whether it is SOFTIMAGE® |XSI®, Autodesk® 3ds Max® or Autodesk Maya® software. We intend to continue driving innovation in all three products. Following close, we will also focus on improving interoperability through the Autodesk® FBX® software 3D data exchange solution to help improve your production efficiency when working with multiple Autodesk applications.

We are also excited by the proposed addition of Softimage talent and technology to Autodesk Media & Entertainment, as it will accelerate the work of our newly formed Games Technology Group, which includes technologies such as Autodesk® HumanIK® and Autodesk® Kynapse® software. The group's purpose is to deliver the next-generation of real-time, interactive 3D authoring tools for games, film and television.

Autodesk will acquire and plans to continue developing the following Softimage products:

SOFTIMAGE|XSI, including XSI Essentials, XSI Advanced, XSI Academic, XSI Mod Tool and the XSI software development kit (SDK). XSI offers a complete 3D modeling, animation, rendering and development environment.
SOFTIMAGE®|Face Robot® software, which enables the creation of life-like human facial animation quickly and easily.
SOFTIMAGE®|Cat™, an advanced character animation system that is a plug-in for Autodesk 3ds Max software. It is intended that SOFTIMAGE|Cat will be integrated into the 3ds Max product line.
SOFTIMAGE®|Crosswalk, an interoperability solution, is intended to be integrated with Autodesk's interoperability technology.
The acquisition is expected to close in the next month. Until that time, Autodesk and Softimage will continue operating independently. Please continue using your existing contacts for sales, services and support. We will keep you updated on this acquisition, both directly and online at www.autodesk.com/softimage (https://leads.autodesk.com/aprimoportal/etrack.aspx?DSN=7f98cd601ea567f8649a5d74b1958a30&FORMID=32f27daaf0740573ed195ac6cc4198a4&INTID=0304c43cef3126aa5fe07c2b0f097893&AUDID=ab4a43abb1036a05e5a9483c3fae52fa7cc3e1d0838ab7e7&DECODE=1&URL=http://www.autodesk.com/softimage). We look forward to welcoming you to the combined family and thank you for your business.

Sincerely,

https://leads.autodesk.com/AprimoPortal/serverfiles/MED/softimage_petitsig.gif https://leads.autodesk.com/AprimoPortal/serverfiles/MED/stevens_sig.gif Marc Petit
Senior Vice President,
Autodesk Media & Entertainment Marc Stevens
General Manager
Softimage Autodesk is a registered trademark of Autodesk, Inc., in the USA and/or other countries. All other brand names, product names, or trademarks belong to their respective holders. Autodesk reserves the right to alter product offerings and specifications at any time without notice, and is not responsible for typographical or graphical errors that may appear in this document. © 2008 Autodesk, Inc. All rights reserved.

Thank you for your continued interest in Autodesk products. Autodesk respects your time and privacy. If you would prefer not to receive future e-mails about our products or events, or have received this e-mail in error, please click on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of this page.

Autodesk, Inc., 111 McInnis Parkway, San Rafael, California, 94903

AnonyMouse
10-24-2008, 07:29 AM
Too many surprises for a short time :sad: Autodesk will raise the price double here, which means instead $ 500 for Foundation (as it was before few months) it will cost € >3000 for Essentials. And will become slow and buggy.
Bye-bye XSI :sad: :wavey:

bazuka
10-24-2008, 07:57 AM
People im really sorry but ur are doomed, like us people who use maya......

good luck ;)

akisey
10-24-2008, 09:37 AM
I'm just wondering if this is realy going to make any difference.

I mean, it seems like SoftImage has always been owned by a bigger company. Microsoft, Avid and now Autodesk. I'm actually wondering if they are going to even call it something like Autodesk XSI. I feel like the name is not gonna change at all.

How different is Autodesk from Microsoft or Avid? Autodesk is just the company that has the $$$$ to let SoftImage develop the amazing tool XSI is. If Autodesk wants to keep XSI alive, they will have to keep the SoftImage staff satisfied. What is Autodesk without it's developers? The developers are the real brains behind the company, not those shareholders that unfortunatly are making the decisions.

Nemoid
10-24-2008, 10:11 AM
I think AD will keep XSI alive however.They act more like sellers than actual developers, right now....
If you look they did just the same with Max and Maya.No Big new 3d app here.

The real problem could be XSI development, which i guess will be way less aggressive than before.
Its sad, however to see less and less competition in 3d industry, as time passes.:(

cgswami
10-24-2008, 11:17 AM
well if i had the money, i would have invested it into Softimage Inc and stop this impending madness, plus pitch in some extra for futher R and D ..

I understand the need for close affiliation but total buyout .. yeesh !

I mean XSI was doing great with crosswalk before ...

so i have learnt that the grass/trees are greener on the other side but it always has the risk of bigger companies coming in to deforest an plunder ......

I so feel like a prdigal son right about now :( .....

NB wow i now know what it feels like to be a naysayer ..... ok lets see wtf happens with all of this and hope for the breast with everything

JamesMK
10-24-2008, 11:30 AM
hope for the breast with everything
Yeah, who doesn't? :D

That aside, this was depressing news. Not the thing I was hoping to see while having my coffee this morning, that's for sure.

tarkovsky
10-24-2008, 02:03 PM
Wondering if this will affect the current developement of plugins for XSI?

LemonNado
10-24-2008, 02:13 PM
I'd say something along the lineWondering if this will affect the current developement of plugins for XSI?

I'd say something along the lines of 'bye bye Collada, welcome FBX'. Looking at Autodesk, then I must say that they rather take the proprietary route than the open source alley. Heck.... Autocad releases have difficulties reading each other's files.

But honestly, if I would be a plug developer, I'd be on the phone. I might be able to sell my services to the big A better than ever before!

R

mocaw
10-24-2008, 08:00 PM
How different is Autodesk from Microsoft or Avid?

Let's see...they don't have two other market dominating 3D applications already? How is that for starters?

This would be like, say, if Avid owned FCP, Premiere and just about every comp app out there...then bought up vegas or some such thing.

OR- if microsoft somehow bought up Linux (impossible), OSX, OS/2 (the banking one), BeOS, and then went for google robot (highly unlikely) and Palm OS to boot.

That's how different it is...

LemonNado
10-24-2008, 08:41 PM
The only challenge I see is that the concentration of patents in one hand will make it very hard to come up with a new challenging CG app for everyone else than the one sitting on it...
Or we wait..... quite some time...
R

cgswami
10-25-2008, 03:09 PM
reasons .. as they put it

http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/autodesk_softimage_public_faq.pdf

darinclifton
10-25-2008, 08:30 PM
Just to point out they did not mention AlienBrain... Any body heard what what is going to happen to AB?

I dont know how many of you got this... but this is how I found out...

animationguy2100
10-25-2008, 10:12 PM
There seems to be no stopping Autodesk. Maya, MotionBuilder, Mudox, and now XSI. I wonder who's next on their list.

animationguy2100
10-26-2008, 04:16 AM
Autodesk bought XSI......what a twist!

ThE_JacO
10-26-2008, 04:49 AM
Just to point out they did not mention AlienBrain... Any body heard what what is going to happen to AB?
AD bought soft because it was for sale, not because they wanted the whole she-bang.
AB was still its own thing under avid, not tied to the softimage assets like the old parallax IPs and CAT, so it was probably left behind because of a lack of interest or some conflicting schedule in future plans.
I don't think there will be much happening with it, but if Avid doesn't use any of those IPs for anything else, it might be sold for further liquidity injections later on, or if it's cheaper, simply get killed.

P.S.
All speculation, I have no evidence or knowledge of the crap I'm writing about AB :)

caseybasichis
10-26-2008, 08:10 AM
On thing to consider is that avid is losing ground with both its avid editing market and protools (digidesign even had a press release stating that they had been slacking and intend to make up for it and do better)

Personally I would love to see protools handed to AD. I've always wanted to see a modular and scriptable ui in a digital audio workstation as we see in softimage maya and the likes.

What I truly don't understand is why Adobe isn't trying to get in the game.

brenly
10-26-2008, 09:25 AM

they probably would have if Autodesk didnt buy XSI.

Im hoping Modo grows to be a viable alternative.

ThE_JacO
10-26-2008, 09:50 AM
On thing to consider is that avid is losing ground with both its avid editing market and protools (digidesign even had a press release stating that they had been slacking and intend to make up for it and do better)

Personally I would love to see protools handed to AD. I've always wanted to see a modular and scriptable ui in a digital audio workstation as we see in softimage maya and the likes.

Adobe is trying to get in the game, they were one of the last tier of bidders on Soft apparently.
I wouldn't be surprised though if Avid chose AD over adobe regardless of bids, possibly to avoid some of the minds that conceived and developed DS, Avid's big bad wolf that made them shell out for Soft in first place, go to adobe, which might in that case become yet another contender for their revenues alongside Apple, which did avid a world of damage with fcp.

Just speculating there on the last part.

As for modo growing into a viable alternative, maybe for some fields like viz and mograph, but it would be a very, very long time before they had the slightest chance at the film or games industries with the current state of their package, dev and technologies.

NickCaligo42
10-26-2008, 10:22 AM
The reason they'd want all three--Max, Maya, and XSI--is that they each have different specialties. At present XSI is one of the leading programs for next-gen game development, as Softimage's site will leap out and tell anyone. It's not just Kojima and Capcom, either--lots of companies on both sides of the globe have been starting to pick it up. I don't imagine that Autodesk would be keen on discontinuing a product that's currently at its height.

Nevertheless, I'm angry too. I wouldn't jump out and call Avid an "independent" company, but there was some attraction in picking up a non-autodesk product for me. I still REALLY want XSI 7.0 and will gladly replace Maya with it, but dang. What a disappointment.

cgswami
10-26-2008, 11:44 AM
The reason they'd want all three--Max, Maya, and XSI--is that they each have different specialties. At present XSI is one of the leading programs for next-gen game development, as Softimage's site will leap out and tell anyone. It's not just Kojima and Capcom, either--lots of companies on both sides of the globe have been starting to pick it up. I don't imagine that Autodesk would be keen on discontinuing a product that's currently at its height.

Nevertheless, I'm angry too. I wouldn't jump out and call Avid an "independent" company, but there was some attraction in picking up a non-autodesk product for me. I still REALLY want XSI 7.0 and will gladly replace Maya with it, but dang. What a disappointment.

exactly how i feel about everything .. i now started but I won't stop using it .... but genuinely dissapointed ...

@35 mil i wish apple or even adobe bought it .. if i had 35 mil i would have bought it and sold it based on what the market sees fit ...

bold selfish move by Avid

runejw
10-26-2008, 12:39 PM
On the downside it will mean less competition - with associated cost to the consumer.

Also very important to future development of XSI will be how AD is able to keep on to key talent and continue to use that talent for XSI.

On the upside one can hope for better support for the .max and .3ds imports in XSI?
Perhaps even some technology transfer from their other apps to XSI?

However AD has always struck me as a foremost interested in customers as cash-cows rather than providing best value for money. For the same reason this has of course given them the financial muscles to buy XSI.

This XSI7 owner will watch with interest how things unfold, but immediately the feeling is not very enthusiastic. So AD - prove me wrong!

tarkovsky
10-26-2008, 01:43 PM
On the downside it will mean less competition - with associated cost to the consumer.

Also very important to future development of XSI will be how AD is able to keep on to key talent and continue to use that talent for XSI.

On the upside one can hope for better support for the .max and .3ds imports in XSI?
Perhaps even some technology transfer from their other apps to XSI?

However AD has always struck me as a foremost interested in customers as cash-cows rather than providing best value for money. For the same reason this has of course given them the financial muscles to buy XSI.

This XSI7 owner will watch with interest how things unfold, but immediately the feeling is not very enthusiastic. So AD - prove me wrong!

IF autodesk truly wants to maintain all three packages, it would be stupid to make them too competitive.
Maybe an odd comparison but look at the line of adobe products - you really need all of them, to be able to do everything. Maybe that's also true for 3dfx now, but to get any better? I'm a little pessimistic.

tark

LemonNado
10-26-2008, 03:12 PM
Im hoping Modo grows to be a viable alternative.
I just hope Modo survives this downturn right now.... Tough times...
R

Fongool
10-26-2008, 07:59 PM
Here's an admittedly "tinfoil hat" conspiratorial possibility that they pretty much spelled out in the press release.

Think about it, why would meaningful development on Max and Maya dry up as soon as Autodesk bought them? How would that benefit Autodesk? Are they just stupid, or is there a master plan? Think about what they said in the PR about this exciting new futuristic platform they're developing. Now, tell me this isn't a brilliant strategy:

1. Buy up the top 3d apps, grabbing not only their user bases but also the genius level development teams.

2. Continue to do the bare minimum required to keep the user bases happy enough that they don't revolt and go to Houdini or C4D.

3. Meanwhile, cherry pick the best development brains from the aquired products to create the new Autodesk Uber-App (which is why development on the other apps dries up, the best and brightest have been shanghaied)

4. When it's finally ready for prime time, make a big deal out of how it's not only revolutionary, but migrating from the other apps is SOoooo easy because it was designed by your favorite developers. (and for bonus points if you're truly schemin', much of the "development" on the other apps has been to make them all function with a similar interface to make migration even easier)

5. Slowly kill the other apps (don't want to incite the townsfolk to revolt! Them sheeps is panicky!) while offering sweet "upgrade" path incentives to the Uber-App.

6. Own outright the exciting new futuristic uber-app with the combined user base of all the other apps.

7. Laugh in their solid gold yacht buried in prostitutes into the sunset of retirement after they sell it to Microsoft for a trillion dollars.

I started thinking about this as a sick joke, but the more I think about it, the more sense it makes... Am I just crazy?

Baltazaar
10-26-2008, 10:46 PM
Stop the whining. If you are an artist, you don't care who makes your brushes, as long as they work the way you want them to.

Both Softimage employees and Autodesk are committed to keeping the products separate but easy to collaborate between.

It's a good thing, as the fundings for XSI development will be considerably higher.

As they say, they respect the individuals choice of tools, but want them to be more easy to mix.

http://www.vfxworld.com/?atype=articles&id=3805&page=1

Bullit
10-26-2008, 11:01 PM
I see...Fongool. It would be really bad to have a uber-app better than XSI,Maya and Max... :rolleyes:

Post edit

This part of Paul Doyle last post tells much of the future, about something i have claimed that 3D apps are behind the curve.

Something to consider is what we believe the market will become like over the next few years. I know more than a few film companies that are producing their CG features in 'game' engines. Everyone expects real-time quality to continue improve to a point where it can be used in any market. Arch-vis in particular is placing more and more attention on real-time tech and game engines. As for games itself, we're in the middle of the current-gen game cycle, but soon the next-gen needs and requirements will start to become clearer. I don't think that any of the current DCC apps are close to what is required for the next generation of game dev - talking to the various 'big' games companies in recent months about the future raised many questions, and few answers beyond 'we're looking at it'. For me, focussing on real-time technology is relevant to all the 3D markets - and I believe there's going to be more than a few new players coming in. What product/s are there at the time, who knows - but if Max/Maya/XSI aren't there then it's because they can't address the needs of the evolving markets, not because 'three's too many, we have to drop one'. Businesses like making money - selling products that make money makes sense.

http://softimageinsider.blogspot.com/

Jacobo
10-27-2008, 07:06 AM
Fresh off XSIbase forums :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR7UWImpG54

Enjoy tehehee :)

R10k
10-27-2008, 08:40 AM
...i wish apple or even adobe bought it ..

Please tell me you're joking.

Leonikou
10-27-2008, 09:09 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

LOL!!! :applause::applause::applause: !!!

You just made my day...!!! Absolutely hilarious...

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Baltazaar
10-27-2008, 10:15 AM

Laughing my glasses off! Man, that's so brilliant!

cgswami
10-27-2008, 10:59 AM
Please tell me you're joking.

after much deliberation and context of thought ... i was ..
actualy no .. I think i drank myself to that statement in depression of the divestment ...
i am sober now

esp after that you tube video

akisey
10-27-2008, 11:53 AM
I have a quick question about this whole thing.

As a European customer we all have to buy Autodesk products via Authorised resellers. At the moment I'm still able to buy XSI online without reseller and without the crazy European price conversion.

Do you think it's better to buy XSI right now rather than in 3 months?

adrencg
10-27-2008, 03:09 PM
If they screw this up, I am switching to Blender :beer:

I see many people saying this, but isn't that like cutting off your nose to spite your own face?

Blender is no replacement for XSI

shadowedge
10-27-2008, 06:47 PM

I couldn't resist.

Im tired from working 18 hours today - this just woke me up and made my day.

Dude --- thank you for sharing!

:applause:

WillBellJr
10-27-2008, 11:54 PM
^^ Sad times for XSI for sure but I have to say that tube clip had me laughing out loud!

Well for me this is the second time around - first was with my beloved Dreamweaver and Fireworks, now XSI (well there was also that fiasco with Eovia and Hexagon 2 - so that's actually three...)

My thing is, that so called new management team should have looked at where XSI was going especially with the release of ICE and all the positive energy from the community instead of just looking at spreadsheets and financial data.

I feel somewhat stabbed in the back - especially considering the emails I received during my upgrade process to v7 "...you won't regret the upgrade along with maintenance - especially with all the great stuff coming down the line..."

I'm paraphrasing but obviously the sales reps didn't know this was coming either. (I'd hope.)
I guess my little "$1800 to show my support to Softimage" will be going to AD now.

My thing is - instead of having faith in the division, they sold out cheap - pretty much everyone that heard about this was surprised how cheap AD got all this for.

Sure there's potential for XSI to now have more funding and resources but I thought business was also about not being afraid of the numbers? To risk it all - sweating and fighting your way up from being the underdog to being number one and the best , the glory of victory - what happened to that business spirit?

When I think of all the buzz and hoopla Softimage had going around siggraph time - damn, they even had Vanilla Ice at the party :shrug: to then turn around and do this to everyone - I just have to shake my head.

I say keep Softimage as a division of Avid and SAVE a large chunk of money by toss'n out dem dudes they hired that came up with this lousy idea that shows NO loyality to the customers, development team OR to the Softimage brand name.

-Will

NickCaligo42
10-28-2008, 09:11 AM
IF autodesk truly wants to maintain all three packages, it would be stupid to make them too competitive.
Maybe an odd comparison but look at the line of adobe products - you really need all of them, to be able to do everything. Maybe that's also true for 3dfx now, but to get any better? I'm a little pessimistic.

You're kind of on the right track. The Autodesk - Adobe analogy draws a bit of a fuzzy line, but the battery of specialty apps you get with Creative Suite does in a lot of ways reflect the specialty 3D apps that've been popping up--like Mudbox and Motion Builder. That argument falls apart when you look at the main three apps that Autodesk now owns, where they each share functionality but with wildly different interfaces. It's easy to see it as a monopolistic acquisition of the properties for the sake of culling the field as classically monopolies tend to get rid of things that "compete" with what they see as the main product line.

I don't see Autodesk's acquisition as being monopolistic, though. In today's economy smaller companies with a lot of potential can be destroyed very easily, and even a company like Avid can hit the kind of financial stress that could bring it down--and Avid is definitely not the most wild success ever as a company. To give you an idea, we use their non-linear editing software at my school, but virtually all the students here avoid it in favor of FinalCut Pro unless an instructor absolutely REQUIRES them to use it; plus we have exactly two liscenses and no more since there may be exactly one instructor using it. At any rate it's only natural in this economy to see consolidation--large companies buying properties they deem of value and interest, both adding an asset to their portfolio cheaply and providing resources and economic shelter in bad times. That, at the very least, is the argument Autodesk will use, if not one that has some truth.

To the question of whether or not XSI's features will blend with the other two apps, I don't think so. Programming just doesn't work that way. Look at it this way: since they bought Max, how much of it and its feature set has truly blended in with Maya? I can see them lifting some algorithms where XSI does things more precisely than the other programs for the sake of improving those programs' performance in things like UV transfer, but at the deepest level these three programs were still born of what amounts to some wildly different code bases. Bigger features are hardcoded in or close to the foundations of the program, which means re-doing most of Maya or Max for the sake of making them do what XSI already does or re-doing most of XSI to try and make it work more like the other programs.

Finally, I will re-iterate, they all have their particular (broad) specialties. Who can say that since Autodesk acquired Max that its architectural tools are present in Maya, for instance? Or its system of filters? Who can say that Max's basic UI has changed even the slightest bit to resemble Maya more? I've been using Max since it was still owned by Discreet and it's remained largely the same. There's little reason to believe that any of these programs will change on an earth-shattering level now that XSI is in Autodesk's hands--especially since there's no word yet that they intend to dismantle Softimage as a company. I predict that the absolute worst thing we'll be able to say is that instead of "Softimage XSI" we'll be calling it "Autodesk XSI" or "Autodesk Softimage XSI."

softdistortion
10-28-2008, 01:14 PM
I thought business was also about not being afraid of the numbers? To risk it all - sweating and fighting your way up from being the underdog to being number one and the best , the glory of victory - what happened to that business spirit?
-Will

That's probably how Cg artists and companies will have to look at it ourselves, or just take our lumps and move on.

We're more multi app every day anyways, so it's a hard , necessary move to be multidexterous ...use whatever is cost effective or on hand... I suppose. :rolleyes:

danlefeb
10-28-2008, 02:47 PM
To the question of whether or not XSI's features will blend with the other two apps, I don't think so. Programming just doesn't work that way. Look at it this way: since they bought Max, how much of it and its feature set has truly blended in with Maya?

Not much, but using another example - quite a bit of MotionBuilder has been integrated into Maya. So they do look for some integration where they think it'll help the most. Integration between XSI, Max and Maya should be stronger going forward, or so I hope.

I'd love to see something like what Adobe has done where you can import project files from one program into another program. I'd like to buy the "Autodesk Master Collection" and be able to model something in Max, save it off as a native file and open it in Maya natively to do some animation then open it in XSI to do some work in ICE all working in a single format. Sort of like an uber-FBX. No more .max files or .xsi or .ma/.mb files. But, as Michael says, programming doesn't work like that and that'll never happen. But one can dream... :)

jamination
10-28-2008, 06:43 PM
People talk of 3dsmax like it was acquired by Autodesk at some point. They have always owned it, just like 3dstudio Dos before it.

animationguy2100
10-28-2008, 08:02 PM

Not by a long shot!!

cgswami
10-28-2008, 08:48 PM
People talk of 3dsmax like it was acquired by Autodesk at some point. They have always owned it, just like 3dstudio Dos before it.

it did ... from Discreet .... i used to us it a looooong time ago too .. my first 3d software .. it took my 3d virginity 0_o

jamination
10-28-2008, 09:35 PM
I would call that rebranding. Yost group made 3dsmax version 1 for Autodesk back in the day. Every other company since has been owned by Autodesk (kinetix, discreet). I see that they "bought" it from discreet (a company they own), but what does that mean?

cgswami
10-28-2008, 09:38 PM
I would call that rebranding. Yost group made 3dsmax version 1 for Autodesk back in the day. Every other company since has been owned by Autodesk (kinetix, discreet). I see that they "bought" it from discreet (a company they own), but what does that mean?
ohhh .thanks ... I did not know it was a subsid of AD ... :)
but i knew the original was purchased somewhere along that line .. thanks man

:)

wonderpup
10-29-2008, 12:06 AM

People are not thinking of now, they're thinking of the future, when Blender is still being updated on a regular basis, and Autodesk XSI is a forgotten backwater app used by diehard sentimentalists who cannot accept their dream died years ago, to be replaced with cosmetic alterations at inflated prices.

I hope to be proved wrong- but don't expect to be, sadly.

JDex
10-29-2008, 12:26 AM
I hope to be proved wrong- but don't expect to be, sadly.

So true. :hmm:

ThE_JacO
10-29-2008, 02:41 AM
it did ... from Discreet .... i used to us it a looooong time ago too .. my first 3d software .. it took my 3d virginity 0_o
No, it didn't
3ds as a product line was by the yost group.
Max was developed under commission by AD under the AD owned kinetix brand, they bought discreet, and AFTERWARD they moved kinetix into discreet.
They've always owned the source and financed the whole research process, from scratch, of 3ds. From dos times, when it had the same interface of autocad, to modern days. Including the windows transition time and rewrite that was max.

madheavy
10-29-2008, 09:43 AM

Mine was taken by Fractal Design's RayDream Studio 5!:blush:
Oh well. I guess I'll use XSI 6FND until it breaks.
I will hate to see XSI 7.2 free update become XSI 2009 new version.:eek:

mareks
10-30-2008, 06:53 AM
After reading all the posts here I figured I would add my very very small opinion.

I know that all for the most part are venting here because of what Avid did to our beloved 3D application, I am one of those myself, especially since I left LW and went to XSI and been studying it in school for last 2 + years.

However, I can almost see the people at AD, they don't care what anyone here or any other forum has to say about this.
Why is that?
They know that demand for a 3D app is here and is not going anywhere, especially that now there are so many uses for them, from movies, to video games, to commercials etc. (I mean now because in last 8 years the use of CGI has grown). With that, knowing the demand is high, they know studios and artists will pay the price for it, if they want to stay in business.

I could compare it to oil companies, when oil prices started to go up, and gas price started to go up, they knew that no matter what price they would put on the pump consumer would pay it.
You can also look at it as EA, when they noticed that other companies were making way better games then they were what did they do? they purchased almost all of them and got rid of most of the good developers/designers, and they games for the most part still suck, but at least now there is no competition. (yes I know that there are many of them still out there, but look 5 years ago, there was alot more of them).

AD will most likely do something like that, they will controll the market with those apps, and they know demand will be there so they will be able to control the prices.

Personally I hope that Maxon, Houdini, LW will see this as opportunity to really step into the light with better apps, and show people that there is still hope for good, not buggy software.

This is only my point of view, trying to underline the fact that AD could care less what people think, they showed that with the apps they provide, and support they provide.
(My company uses AutoCad, and require support at times...... it sure is not good, and outsourced).

Marek

P.S. I really hope my XSI 7 will not break too soon, personally I LOVE ICE and XSI of course (well, at least while it was Softimage).

fluxist8070
11-25-2008, 07:29 PM
I see many people saying this, but isn't that like cutting off your nose to spite your own face?

Sure, i know that....but the monopoly over all the 3d packages is kinda scary...

CGTalk Moderation
11-25-2008, 07:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.