PDA

View Full Version : Top school in california for concept artist and Animation character in LA or New york

Judeani
10-23-2008, 08:26 PM
Hi .
I am intersted to study animation and concept artist for animation concept of characters animation film mainly in New York area or Los angeles area for graduate study or certificate studies.(Part Time)or short courses.
i be happt to heard about recomodation.
I have degree in fine art and film and TV and in the last 2 years i did few softword animation short courses but very basic course of maya and after effects
I am more intersted to develop animation movie or combine fiction movie with human characters with animation (i want lern a bit animatiom program 2D,3D and compositing program but i am not mad to sped 10-12 hour in work on technical skill much more exiting me to create movies charecters and extra.

Is School of visual offer good cousrses?
what about NYU animation certificate?

what about ucla ?/is Gnomon is more technical school?

Thanks

Jude

Rebeccak
10-23-2008, 09:28 PM
If you are interested in concept art, Art Center College of Design is probably the strongest (in Pasadena, CA, which is basically considered to be in LA).

However their foundation program is not nearly as strong as it was in past years. There's no reason to pay ACCD's premium prices to develop your basic drawing and painting skills. Their concept portfolios are still the strongest I've seen, but I would recommend first getting foundational drawing and painting at the community college level (Pasadena City College etc) as the same instructors that teach at Art Center teach at PCC and area community colleges for a fraction of the price.

Gnomon is far stronger in 3D than 2D - 2D is not their primary focus, though they have some offerings. The 2D students there are not of the same caliber as at Art Center, and conversely Art Center lacks a serious 3D program.

Be aware that only a few students are admitted each term into the Entertainment Design program, so it's very competitive, and extremely costly. Also be aware that for every company out there that produces films and games, there are only a handful of concept design positions - so if you are going to want to work in that field, you are going to have to be the best of the best.

Gnomon isn't purely animation oriented, they're mainly geared toward turning out generalists. UCLA as far as I know is not known for it's 3D animation program - USC has a stronger reputation in that regard but for the money, I'd probably choose Gnomon over USC. You might also be interested in something online like Animation Mentor - there are TONS of threads discussing these schools here in General Discussion, so I recommend trying a Google search:

site:cgsociety.org + Gnomon
or + Animation Mentor
or + "which school should I go to"
etc.

Good luck!

ditroi
10-23-2008, 10:03 PM
Check out Otis College of Art and Design's Digital Media (http://www.otis.edu/academics/digital_media/index.html) program. I graduated from there 2 years ago for my second bachelors. I had a fine arts degree but needed real training in all kinds of computer programs to help me decide what part of digital art I wanted to do. If you have taken college level art classes you can skip the first year because its foundation training. You don't go into the degree until your second year. I skipped the first year and jumped into the actual major. I learned a great deal about a little bit of everything (Concept art, motion graphics, 3D modeling, vfx/ compositing) year 2-3. Year 4 you focus on what you really want to do by building a thesis project. Otis was perfect for me, I do not regret my time there at all.

I hope this helps,
Good luck to you!

Rebeccak
10-23-2008, 10:08 PM
Hi Diana,

I actually teach in Otis' Foundation Life Drawing program, and can attest that it is one of the strongest foundation programs in the LA area amongst art colleges and universities. It apparently has a national reputation for its foundation program.

The concept art area has grown stronger in recent years and will likely continue to do so, though I still think Art Center's final portfoios in terms of concept art continue to stand out. The digital art major at Otis however is strong, particularly as it relates to motion graphics (as opposed to graphic design). The head of the digital media department, Harry Mott, is quite a cool guy who would likely be happy to answer any queries regarding the Digital Media program.

Having said all of that I'm really neutral when it comes to recommending schools to students. I really try to avoid just advocating whatever school it is that I am working for, since I think that is in the student's best interest.

ditroi
10-23-2008, 10:11 PM
Hi Diana,

I actually teach in Otis' Foundation Life Drawing program, and can attest that it is one of the strongest foundation programs in the LA area amongst art colleges and universities. It apparently has a national reputation for its foundation program.

The concept art area has grown stronger in recent years and will likely continue to do so, though I still think Art Center's final portfoios in terms of concept art continue to stand out. The digital art major at Otis however is strong, particularly as it relates to motion graphics (as opposed to graphic design). The head of the digital media department, Harry Mott, is quite a cool guy who would likely be happy to answer any queries regarding the Digital Media program.

Having said all of that I'm really neutral when it comes to recommending schools to students. I really try to avoid just advocating whatever school it is that I am working for, since I think that is in the student's best interest.

LOL! Hi! Sorry we've never met. Well I'm just offering information. Otis Digital was perfect for me and my needs.

Rebeccak
10-23-2008, 10:13 PM
LOL! Hi! Sorry we've never met. Well I'm just offering information. Otis Digital was perfect for me and my needs.I just started there this semester. :) Oh I was just speaking for myself, not for you - your input is probably more valuable since you were an actual student there. :) I just didn't want to come across as biased (just for myself). My personal opinion is that Otis is a good school with instructors and admin that really care about students. And I say that without bias - I personally attended Art Center as an undergrad and didn't have the same warm fuzzy feeling of community there - however this works for those who are strictly focused on career oriented training and desire no social life. ;)

ditroi
10-23-2008, 10:18 PM
I just started there this semester. :) Oh I was just speaking for myself, not for you - your input is probably more valuable since you were an actual student there. :) I just didn't want to come across as biased (just for myself). My personal opinion is that Otis is a good school with instructors and admin that really care about students. And I say that without bias - I personally attended Art Center as an undergrad and didn't have the same warm fuzzy feeling of community there - however this works for those who are strictly focused on career oriented training and desire no social life. ;)

LOL! Us over worked, anti-socialized students, clustered together in the computer labs, playing video games to blow off steam, makes the warm fuzzy feelings. :P I love my classmates!

Rebeccak
10-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Heh, I agree, Otis students really bond due to the fact that they go through the foundation program as a cohort. :)

ditroi
10-23-2008, 10:34 PM
Heh, I agree, Otis students really bond due to the fact that they go through the foundation program as a cohort. :)

I have a 4 year degree prior... so I skipped foundation year and many(not all) required classes. It opened a lot of time for me to focus on the computer and art classes I wanted to take. Even though I was late entering the group I felt welcomed and part of the gang all the same.

Judeani
10-23-2008, 11:31 PM
Thanks for all reply

i have enoght strong back ground of study fine art i have B.A in fine art and B.A in film and i did few art exhibitions as an artists you welcome to see my Art work in my web. I dont want to study again for 4 years i looking for short program 1-2 year that more focus about concept art for animation and developing characters or short courses.
For MFA its a bit to expensive for me the fee and i thought much more about part time courses .
but i will herard about Art Center and Aal arts its true the california institute mote focus on clasic animation.
what about to take just corses for concept arts instead spend 2-4 years to develop these skill.i be happy to know more about place running courses for shrt time few month.
what about New york which in thesee area is the tops school .
is school of visual arts and NYU recomeded place to develop concept art.

Thanks

Jude
www.j-talmor.com (http://www.j-talmor.com)

CGTalk Moderation
10-23-2008, 11:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.