PDA

View Full Version : (HELP) Match Goal Orientation Hell

Kid-Mesh
06-11-2003, 04:12 AM
I decided to post this here in the LW forum because I figured it is specific to LW and not just a general Ik problem. If I am wrong then I apologize ahead of time.

Hopefully a savvy LW user that has experienced this might save me :wavey:

When It comes to Ik Im still a little wet behind the ears so if you need to talk to me like a noob then by all means do so because in this area ...I am.

Currently, I have my character rigged and setup for IK. All the bones so far have been checked in regards to their pitch settings, etc, etc. Also all of the bones have had there rest pos set as well blah blah.

So on to my problem which arose during the IK setup for the leg.

Here is the process I used.

I created several NULL objects:

1. HEEL
2. PIVOT
3. TOE
4. TIP TOE
5. BALL
6. ANKLE

After creating those nulls I turned on parent in place and parented 1 - 5 to the toe bone on my Right Leg. Then I parented #6 to the foot bone.

I turned off parent in place then went into the motion panel and unparented each null.

Then I proceeded to parent each Null to each other in this order:

PIVOT---------------------------------> HEEL
TOE-------------------------------->PIVOT
TIPTOE--------------------------->TOE
BALL--------------------------->TIPTOE
HEEL------------------------>BALL

Then I started to activate the IK on the leg.
-------------------------------------------------------

Hip bone - unaffected by IK of decendants on my

Thigh Controller bone - (Controllers and Limits) has IK activated

Thigh Bone - (Controllers and Limits) has IK activated

Calf Bone - (Controllers and Limits) has IK activated

PROBLEM AREA

Here we go, on the foot bone I checked the following:

1. Unaffected by descendants of IK
2. Full time IK
3. Match Goal Orientation
** Goal object = Ankle NULL

When I checked Match Goal Orientation it blew up :hmm: basically causing my foot to point upward.

http://www.madmotion.net/cgtalk/IKPROB.jpg

Like I said Im still wet behind the ears and this is causing me some fustration but thats how we learn right?

Well Im all for that but Im at a lost....any help would be great.

Thanks in advance

Delucubus
06-11-2003, 05:15 AM
I didn't take too deep of a look at your setup but did you try just rotating your Ankle null down so that the foot is in the right position? When matching goal orientation the bone will rotate to the rotation of the Null, just rotate the null down to where the foot needs to be and you're off.

Now, you may have tried this and because the lack of time i spent reading your problem may be some where else, hopefully not though.

SplineGod
06-11-2003, 08:35 AM
I dont use IK except from the hip down to the ankle.
I use match goal on the ankle since it can pretty much rotate freely and determines the direction of the foot.
If you want to keep it simple you have a null at the ball of the foot, one at the heel and one at the toe.
For a basic foot setup you would parent the ankle to the ball of foot null and parent the toe null and ball of foot nulls to the heel null. The Toe bone can have match goal orientation on with the toe null as the goal. Ive never used IK on a foot unless you consider match goal on the toe bone as IK.

Kid-Mesh
06-11-2003, 02:24 PM
Thanks SplineGod for your response...Im gonna have to try that.

One thing I forgot to mention was that Im using ver 7.0 would it make a difference if I upgraded to ver 7.5 b or c. I have just been afraid to do so here at work because of some of the upgrade nightmares I have heard and we thought it best to just wait it out for LW [8].

But if the upgrades has some fixes or patches to the animation tools Im just wondering if that will help.

Thanks,

SplineGod
06-11-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Kid Mesh
Thanks SplineGod for your response...Im gonna have to try that.

One thing I forgot to mention was that Im using ver 7.0 would it make a difference if I upgraded to ver 7.5 b or c. I have just been afraid to do so here at work because of some of the upgrade nightmares I have heard and we thought it best to just wait it out for LW [8].

But if the upgrades has some fixes or patches to the animation tools Im just wondering if that will help.

Thanks,
I would upgreade to at least 7.5. Its far better then 7.0.
The graph editor is much faster and its just overall more stable.
If you ever plan to get itno this stuff pretty deep I would consider taking my online character sereies. It covers characte rmodeling, texturing, rigging and animating in great detail - over 60 hrs on CD plus online support.
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/professionalcharacterseries.html

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.