PDA

View Full Version : Optimize Maximum Memory usage Maya 64-bit

Abiy
10-23-2008, 02:13 PM
Hello all!
How do I optimize or set for maya 2008 64-bit to use maximum RAM while batch rendering? I already have it set up to use all processors. And its only using 25% of Physical memory, but I want it to use more. Here are my specs:

quad core intel
8GB of RAM
Windows Vista 64 bit
1.3 TB HD

Thanks for the help!
Ab

fabergambis
10-23-2008, 02:24 PM
You can use something like 6400 in memory limit slot you can find in the batch rendering and current frame memory options.
It should be 80% of the total amount of physical memory installed on your machine.

chuckie7413
10-23-2008, 02:33 PM
maya will only use the amount of memory it needs to use to store information for that render. If your render is only using 25% of physical memory then thats good and your scene is not a memory intensive scene.

Abiy
10-23-2008, 02:33 PM
You can use something like 6400 in memory limit slot you can find in the batch rendering and current frame memory options.
It should be 80% of the total amount of physical memory installed on your machine.
Thanks for the reply. Sorry, but where do I exactly go to do that?

aglick
10-23-2008, 02:56 PM
Abiy,

Your rendering engine of choice will always use only the amount of memory it needs to render the scene with the elements and settings you gave it. This is the way any program wants to work.

Ideally, you will always want to optimize your scene for the fastest rendering times while achieving the desired look. "Cheats" such as displacement maps and large bumps/textures sometimes, but not always, will raise the RAM requirement while lowering the "cost" (time) to render the frame.

My rule of thumb for RAM is, buy all you think you need -and more. But never let your system use it all. Even the fastest system will slow to a crawl if the memory ever gets 100% used.

Adam
BOXXlabs

Abiy
10-23-2008, 03:20 PM
fabergambis, Chuckie (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=177007) & Adam, Thank you all for your time!

CGTalk Moderation
10-23-2008, 03:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.