PDA

View Full Version : Next-Gen Polygon count

NickCaligo42
10-22-2008, 11:18 PM
So, I keep hearing numbers like 5000-10,000 polys thrown around for game characters, but does anybody have any ideas about more specific poly-counts for next-gen stuff? I know it varies a lot with the role of the thing you're modeling and the type of game, so to narrow this down why don't we look at something like Metal Gear Solid 4, where you can expect 5-20 characters in an in-game scene at any given time. What should I expect a player avatar's poly count to come out to in a game like this? Is it bigger since the player stares at it a lot, or smaller?

Maxidius
10-28-2008, 06:59 PM
I've been wondering the same, hope someone has a good answer. I've only modeled for older engines so I've stayed under 5,000 tris. Anyone have an answer to this?

NickCaligo42
10-28-2008, 11:08 PM
I've been wondering the same, hope someone has a good answer. I've only modeled for older engines so I've stayed under 5,000 tris. Anyone have an answer to this?

You know, if you've worked with older engines chances are you can just multiply the numbers and get the numbers for the new ones, or at least an idea of who and what gets more polys. It stands to reason that if it gets more polys in one situation it gets more in the other. So in your experience, then, what gets more polys and what gets less, and what're the rough numbers?

blank
10-29-2008, 10:07 AM
some info in this sticky thread:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=39&t=481174

or you could download '3D Ripper DX' this little program basically intercepts the data as its on its way to the graphics card and once you've ripped the models and textures your can check them out in your 3D modelling program - very useful as a learning tool. (only dx9 though)

NickCaligo42
10-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Really? I tried it and it ended up giving me some odd distortion on the models I ripped.

That thread answers a lot of questions though. Thanks!

bugo
10-29-2008, 12:06 PM
Usualy for FPS games that have cinematics they make 20k lod or above to make it really looking great, but that depends ofcourse which type of game you want to know. FPS games are crossing over 13k for now on special characters. For NPC´s they go around 5-8k

Nowadays FPS games are comming as TPS so player really gets close to him (gears of war, dead space), I really imagine 13k is not enough for it, but who knows, the modeler can do really good things if he knows how to use normal map and silhouette without taking details off.

blank
10-29-2008, 12:10 PM
when you try to import the file you'll notice near the top (I'm in 3ds Max) there should be 'Recommended Values:' for the aspect ration, click the little arrow at the end and select the aspect ration it offers and hopefully it shouldn't be distorted anymore.

CGTalk Moderation
10-29-2008, 12:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.