PDA

View Full Version : MR SSS Fastkin and Morph Materials in Max

sidvici
10-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Hello guys,

I read several subjects on that matter, but none of them give a satisfying solution. I really like to use the mr fastskin shader. It renders fast and look awesome. On the other hand i d like to drive wrinkles and stuff via Morph Material with Normalmaps(ala Jason Osipia). Unfortunately MR Shaders dont support the Morph Materials within Max.

I tryed several things to workaround that matter like using composite materials, but they let the rendertimes explode since i m using several 4k maps. I tryed using Stephen Gustafsons selfmade Morph Shader for MR. Well they seem to work with one map but with several maps they just get mixed together wich results in barely noticable bumps on the face.

I m out of ideas here. Are there any other sulotions or workarounds for this problem?

PEN
10-22-2008, 01:29 PM
I'm not sure character rigging is the bet forum for this as it is more of a rendering problem. But I have just done this recently and used composite maps as you said you did. Worked well but I was using vertex colours to control the blending and that appeared to work just fine. W didn't end up using it as it couldn't export to the engine so a custom morpher was created.

You could try scripting your own, if you do all the map blending in dotNet on a seperate thread you could make it quite fast I would think. Not tried it but it should be possible.

sidvici
10-22-2008, 02:26 PM
thx for the fast response,

well, i choosed this forum cause riggers might be rather stumble on this problem.

unfortunaly i m complete newbie when it comes to scripting. hm, maybe u could explain ur vertex color mehtod in more detail.

PEN
10-22-2008, 06:08 PM
Well you are using the Vertex Colour material instead of a map, then pull the vert colours from the model.

CGTalk Moderation
10-22-2008, 06:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.