PDA

View Full Version : EXPOSÉ 7 :: Call for Entries

PaulHellard
10-22-2008, 05:14 AM
Hey,

Ballistic Publishing is now calling on artists to submit digital images for consideration in EXPOSÉ 7. Images can be created in any 3D or digital illustration application. Photoshop and digitally manipulated photography is also welcome. We are interested in digitally-created fine art, whether it be 2D or 3D, for commercial use, or personal satisfaction.

There is no cost or limit to enter work for inclusion in EXPOSÉ 7. As with all Ballistic Publishing showcase publications, artists with work published in EXPOSÉ 7 will receive a complementary copy of the book and will enjoy worldwide exposure in the premier collection of digitally-created artwork to ever be published.

Click the image. You know the rest!

http://features.cgsociety.org//images/plugs/feature/exp7_fp.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/story.php?story_id=4747)

frogchild
10-22-2008, 06:07 AM
Does the work need to be from this last year?

PaulHellard
10-22-2008, 06:17 AM
New work is always encouraged.

maxspider3000
10-22-2008, 11:46 AM
I guess there is something wrong in the submission guidelines page :

Deadline for Entries (check carefully)

* Artwork to be considered for EXOTIQUE 4 needs to be submitted before Noon, Monday August 4, 2008, GMT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMT).

Current time: October 22, 10:32 GMT

correct it plz ....

unwrap
10-22-2008, 01:07 PM
OMG OMG OMG, this could be my big break :arteest:.

Lman
10-22-2008, 02:53 PM
I have not posted or submitted work anywhere, since back in 2006 :(

and so much has happened since :)

and after talking to my Girlfriend who loves the Exposé books,
I decided I try enter something for this one.

Best of luck to anyone who enters artwork cant wait to see what is sure to be
another publication that is sure to inspire.

-Liam

PureMoxi
10-22-2008, 06:06 PM
re: maxspider3000's post.

The submission deadline is clearly posted on the page which is linked through the image. Also, you should note that this post is for EXPOSÉ 7 and not EXOTIQUE 4...

maxspider3000
10-22-2008, 06:15 PM
PureMoxi ... I know it says EXOTIQUE 4, and that's why I said it's wrong ... coz in the top of the page of guidelines it's EXPOSÉ 7 submission ... am talking about this page :
http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/bsw/

don't know if am the only one who sees it like this ... but I mentioned it anyway as it displayed here with me ...

regards ...

DanLuVisiArt
10-22-2008, 08:16 PM
Damn we got a while to submit, time to get-a-cracking!

Good luck every one :)

JurajMolcak
10-22-2008, 08:57 PM
Heh, this look like the new CG Challenge is on the way. We can submit double :D

johnstrieder
10-23-2008, 02:09 AM
http://1.2.3.11/bmi/forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/scream.gif Great News!

Heh, this look like the new CG Challenge is on the way.

That would be great, really looking foreward to it! ;)

EDINO
10-23-2008, 02:41 AM
i've read the rules on how to submit an image through ftp but i've always felt it might be possible the size of my image is'nt correct. i always seem to have trouble with submitting. would u be able to explain in a little more detail? i'm still fairly new to photoshop. thanks...

Kirt
10-23-2008, 03:11 AM
i've read the rules on how to submit an image through ftp but i've always felt it might be possible the size of my image is'nt correct. i always seem to have trouble with submitting. would u be able to explain in a little more detail? i'm still fairly new to photoshop. thanks...Image Size (IMPORTANT PLEASE READ)

Image dimensions should be print resolution (as large as you can possibly render). Do not send in a low-resolution placeholder and ask us to get back to you, as we won't. A guideline is 2657 pixels wide and/or 3636 high, 300 DPI (portrait), or 3636 pixels wide and/or 2657 pixels high, 300 DPI (landscape). Your image aspect ratio and layout will dictate the final resolution. These are given as guidelines. To be safe, render images that are larger than these specified. DO NOT upsample your images to achieve higher resolution. If you cannot reach the desired full-page resolution, just send in what you have.

Image Format Images must be an uncompressed RGB TIFF (.TIF) format. Do not include Alpha or other non-RGB channels or layers. (PLEASE READ SECTION BELOW ON IMAGE PREPARATION!)

Pretty comprehensive set of instructions, but if there's something in there that doesn't make sense let us know. We'll do our best to clarify it.

EDINO
10-23-2008, 03:24 AM
i've read those guidelines quite a few times but for some reason when i submit, i continue to get an image error message. somewhere in the submission process i feel i'm not doing something right. i've had to write to them and ask them why my work was'nt posted after about 7-8 tries and after a couple of days. i'm a little confused on the "uncompressed" zip folder thing. i save to a compressed zip folder then...what do i do?

cabotinecco
10-23-2008, 04:56 AM
Wow,just waiting for this.My favorite book.

Kirt
10-23-2008, 04:58 AM
i save to a compressed zip folder then...what do i do?
Don't compress it. There is an option to select uncompressed on Winzip (if that's what you're using).

dgoberna
10-23-2008, 09:54 AM
"There is no cost or limit to enter work for inclusion in EXPOSÉ 7"

In other sense, It should Ballistic who would have to pay artists for using their work... :p

Kirt
10-23-2008, 04:08 PM
"There is no cost or limit to enter work for inclusion in EXPOSÉ 7"

In other sense, It should Ballistic who would have to pay artists for using their work... :p
Please dig up thread for Expose 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 call for entries. This has been discussed so many times it's tiresome at this point. Here's a simple solution for you and everyone else who can't see the benefit to submitting work ...

don't submit your work.

Scoo
10-23-2008, 08:31 PM
An impressive lineup for your committee, save for the lack of female input. Is there some reason for this? I know there are TONS of talented women artists in our industry, surely there must be three or four available help insure a balanced, human vetting process.

vfx
10-23-2008, 09:04 PM
Good to see a nice timeline available for entering..

P.S. Not quite up to scratch with how things work with Expose, do artists get any commission or pay for a successful entry or is it all publicity based? Thanks.
Doh, answered above, sorry!

JWRodegher
10-23-2008, 09:06 PM
Hey guys, I'll try to come up with something and for the very first time make an attempt to get into the expose books, which would be awesome. There plenty of time I think, I hope I can manage to do it in my free time (if there's any at all). I have a question though, what if the upload finishes a couple of hours late due to traffic matters? Assuming there's too much traffic in the last hours and the bandwidth just can't take it. There will be any considerations or just ignored?

PaulHellard
10-24-2008, 06:33 AM
Hey guys, .... I have a question though, what if the upload finishes a couple of hours late due to traffic matters? Assuming there's too much traffic in the last hours and the bandwidth just can't take it. There will be any considerations or just ignored?

Here's a clue. Submit before February. :thumbsup:

ajinak
10-24-2008, 07:21 AM
Hmm, I'll also try something :)
Hey people, I have a question - there is mentioned something about monitor calibration, do you think EIZO S1721SE should be ok for this case? I've always had problems with colours (notebook monitor, almost impossible to calibrate well), so I hope it'll be better this time - I know better monitor should be even better, but it's still too expensive, maybe later..

EDINO
10-25-2008, 06:24 PM
i'm using vista 32bit. no option for uncompressed zip folder, only compressed. i'll try winzip. thanks kirt. i'll let u know what happens.

Don't compress it. There is an option to select uncompressed on Winzip (if that's what you're using).

EDINO
10-25-2008, 06:28 PM
Here's a clue. Submit before February. :thumbsup:

i waited a week and my images were'nt showing. i had to email ballistic. so, even though it's probably not smart to wait until the last minute to submit work, there still seems to be a "traffik" issue.

Thaldir
12-14-2008, 05:04 PM
Hi, all

Since quite a while, every time I go to the submission page for Exposè I get a 'Our server is undergoing maintenance' message...
It may sound silly, but since I haven't seen messages on the forum about this problem I've started wondering if the server still has problems that are being addressed or if I'm getting a cached page and should clean up my PC...

Does anyone have info on that? Thank you.

Ivy00
12-19-2008, 06:23 PM
I am also getting the same message Thaldir when I hit the submit entry link. Any news on this?

bazze
12-21-2008, 07:17 PM
bookmarking this thread because I'm too am waiting for the server maintenance to be finished (I've seen that message for 2 week or so).

NateOwens
12-23-2008, 08:06 PM
bookmarking this thread because I'm too am waiting for the server maintenance to be finished (I've seen that message for 2 week or so).
Same here.
Is anybody home there, or all on vacation?
Maybe they will come back after New Year?
Hello...?? :banghead:

Thaldir
12-26-2008, 04:27 PM
Well, it seems something have canged in the last couple of days.

Now after clicking on "submit entry" I can upload images but I don't receive the usual e-mail of confirmation, and when I check the entry status on the "edit entries" page the "image not ready" icon appears, even if the .zip file is there. :shrug:

Maidith
12-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Hi,

I've tried to upload an image several times but for some reason I can't connect to the server:

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response: 220 (vsFTPd 2.0.5)
Command: USER bsw_74762
Response: 331 Please specify the password.
Command: PASS ******
Response: 500 OOPS: cannot change directory:/home/submissions/submissions.cgsociety.org/bsw/real_bsw/uploads/bsw_74762
Error: Could not connect to server

Should I just wait and try another time, or did I do anything wrong? I don't think so ._.

Wooz1
12-27-2008, 09:38 PM
^ I get the same message :S

completedreams
01-02-2009, 02:52 AM
Im getting the same message too, cant connect to server.

:banghead:

Its killing me, I have 3 more images i want to add!

Im about to give them upload space on my sites.

They dont answer emails, Ive tried like 3 times.

Ballistic folks where art thou?

bazze
01-02-2009, 08:58 AM
I managed to upload a couple of images about 36 hours ago. But hey still have the status "Image not ready". So I guess the servers aren't operational yet.

Wooz1
01-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Phew other people are having the same problem, hope it gets sorted soon D:

Thaldir
01-03-2009, 10:55 PM
The mistery continues: I've tried again to upload an image and again when asked for login and password the ftp server doesen't let me in (login an password are those the server gives you when submitting the entry of course). Still no answers from anyone... :hmm:

Thaldir
01-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Some news! :)

I have been told this morning that Ballistic is aware of the problem and working hard to fix it (of course the holiday season isn't making it any easier...).

Fingers crossed it will be fixed soon.

Wildlifehoodoo
01-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Cool :D I thought I was being completely stupid and missing something out in the process.

Wooz1
01-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Haha me too :)

Maidith
01-25-2009, 11:48 AM
I can upload pictures now, looks like the problem has been solved. Yay! :)

However, it seems I can't confirm the upload. It always says, "Image not ready", even though I uploaded it 12 hours ago. (and I haven't received an error message by email)

Wooz1
01-25-2009, 12:13 PM
I still can't connect to the server D:

Rochr
02-20-2009, 04:09 PM
Just tried uploading a few images(yeah i know, last minute)
Does not work at all. I just get error messages.

Jukkat
02-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Same here :(

Rochr
02-22-2009, 10:31 AM
Well, with some luck i may have been able to upload the images, although the server is seriously malfunctioning so i can´t be sure. The images wont show up.

Jukkat,
If you haven´t tried already, try cleansing cookies, history and form data in your browser before you drag the image to the folder.
Also deleting the first submission and creating a new one may help for some images.

Jukkat
02-22-2009, 11:15 AM
Thanks Rochr ! :)

Worked now, finaly managed to submit in my pics

Hope u all get in your pictures in time
and GL ppl !

vampeta
02-22-2009, 01:32 PM
:( not working!

any ideas?!

FileZilla
Status: Auflösen der IP-Adresse für submissions.cgsociety.org
Status: Verbindung hergestellt, warte auf Willkommensnachricht...
Fehler: Konnte vom Socket nicht lesen: ECONNRESET - Connection reset by peer
Fehler: Herstellen der Verbindung zum Server fehlgeschlagen
Status: Auflösen der IP-Adresse für submissions.cgsociety.org
Status: Verbindung hergestellt, warte auf Willkommensnachricht...
Antwort: 500 OOPS: fork

Rochr
02-22-2009, 01:38 PM
You can most likely skip using FTP programs all together. I´ve had absolutely no luck using them.

If you can, try this using your web browser(worked with IE7):
If you haven´t tried already, try cleansing cookies, history and form data in your browser before you drag the image to the folder.
Also deleting the first submission and creating a new one may help for some images.

Good luck.

JML
02-22-2009, 03:08 PM
I'm having serious problems too... it worked a week ago for me but since 2 days now, I can't upload anything.. ftp down, password not accepted,etc..

Is the deadline going to be extended if those problems continues ?

there were also pictures from work I was unable to send...

johnstrieder
02-22-2009, 03:35 PM
I've uploaded my stuff a few weeks ago, everything worked fine without errors :applause:

cabotinecco
02-22-2009, 03:45 PM
It's 1 hour gone...but my painting is not show, and I haven't receive any error message!:shrug: What's wrong?

vampeta
02-22-2009, 04:01 PM
still no luck :(

also with ie7 (proxy server error??!?)

and now this! ... www.ballisticpublishing.com is gone :cry::cry::cry:

khendar
02-22-2009, 08:49 PM
As you've noticed, the FTP server is having some issues. Don't panic too much about the deadline, we'll probably end up pushing it back a little bit to make up for the technical issues. I will post in here when its been sorted.

khendar
02-23-2009, 12:07 AM
As an aside, its recommended that you use a proper FTP client to do the submissions. Using the link in your web browser is very unreliable as not all browsers are created equal and some are unable to handle the upload. We recommend using something like Filezilla (http://filezilla-project.org/) to connect, its FREE (as in beer) and cross-platform so it should work on anything. You can of course use Fetch or WS FTP or whatever you are comfortable with.

The settings should be:

Host: submissions.cgsociety.org
Username: BSW Login (eg bsw_12345)
Password: BSW Password (eg e1e1e1)

Hit Connect and drag your zip file over. Done.

We're still working on the server - It should be back soon. I'm awaiting confirmation of an extension of submissions. Please be patient while we sort this out.

khendar
02-23-2009, 05:00 AM
I've just been informed that the Deadline for Expose submissions has been extended to the 2nd of March. One of the reasons that the server has been down is that everyone is submitting their pieces at the same time. Now you have another 10 days or so to submit I hope everyone will back off the server a bit it shouldn't have any more problems.

There is still a slight delay in the process of images. If you have received an email from the system, it means that your images have been received and accepted. They may not appear in the edit entries page yet but rest assured that your work is safe. The 500 errors should have been stopped.

Note that if you create a new entry during the period it was down then you might not be able to connect to the database to upload your image. The solution is to simply create a new entry and use the new account details to log into the ftp and upload your zip file.

vampeta
02-23-2009, 08:01 AM
Ok... now it seems to work somehow.... i got 3 artworks through.

But after confirm on the "edit entries" page i become this error message

Warning: fopen(http://server1.cgnetworks.com/bsw/secret_hidden_stuff/remupld.php?all=1&versionID=81789) [function.fopen (http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/bsw/function.fopen)]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden in /var/www/vhosts/ballisticpublishing.com/httpdocs/bsw/entryEdit.php on line 158

Warning: fread(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /var/www/vhosts/ballisticpublishing.com/httpdocs/bsw/entryEdit.php on line 159

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /var/www/vhosts/ballisticpublishing.com/httpdocs/bsw/entryEdit.php on line 160

khendar
02-23-2009, 08:09 AM
Yeh there are a few minor bugs in the system but the important thing is your works are making it through to us.

smeerwortel
02-23-2009, 08:17 AM
Hey, has anyone noticed the deadline has changed for this competition. Last time I looked it was Today @ midnight GMT. If you look now it says Tuesday March 2nd 2009, Midnight GMT.

vampeta
02-23-2009, 10:57 AM
Yeh there are a few minor bugs in the system but the important thing is your works are making it through to us.

Yes thanks!

All my artworks got through :)

-Alex

alextr2005fr
06-07-2009, 05:06 AM
Hi,
has this problem been fixed for Exotique 5 entries? the "edit entries" page does not show any image or any button allowing to confirm the image, although the zip files were successfully uploaded to the ftp server long time ago, also there is no messages in the e-mail (no error or confirmation messages at all from ballistic). Anyone having same issues?

EDINO
06-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Hi,
has this problem been fixed for Exotique 5 entries? the "edit entries" page does not show any image or any button allowing to confirm the image, although the zip files were successfully uploaded to the ftp server long time ago, also there is no messages in the e-mail (no error or confirmation messages at all from ballistic). Anyone having same issues?

it always happens to me. i've had to send them a private email or send them my image to post for me because i had waited a few days. i posted my image yesterday and for some reason it posted 4 times. i only submitted once. and those 4 blank entries have been there for than 10 hours. i did get an error message that says they are having problems. no email confirmation either. this is definitely something they have to fix.

PaulHellard
06-08-2009, 04:37 AM
I'm sure the guys are looking into it. This invariably happens when there are only a few days left in the submission period. Too many people uploading.

EDINO
06-08-2009, 06:09 AM
had to delete the submissions and resubmit....but now, once i enter my password it says "Webpage is not available". won't let me confirm my image.

alextr2005fr
06-09-2009, 01:17 AM
it always happens to me. i've had to send them a private email or send them my image to post for me because i had waited a few days. i posted my image yesterday and for some reason it posted 4 times. i only submitted once. and those 4 blank entries have been there for than 10 hours. i did get an error message that says they are having problems. no email confirmation either. this is definitely something they have to fix.

did they upload your images when you sent it to them? which e-mail did you use? the submissions@ one? how long did you have to wait for them to respond to the email? because I haven't gotten any response yet, and now cannot even access my account (posted about it in the EXOTIQUE 5 :: Call for Entries thread (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=59&t=772437)) PaulHellard, could you please look into it? I think that the account is broken because others don't have this login problem and don't see those "template" messages. I hope this get fixed soon, the deadline is approaching!

EDINO
06-09-2009, 02:59 AM
did they upload your images when you sent it to them? which e-mail did you use? the submissions@ one? how long did you have to wait for them to respond to the email? because I haven't gotten any response yet, and now cannot even access my account (posted about it in the EXOTIQUE 5 :: Call for Entries thread (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=59&t=772437)) PaulHellard, could you please look into it? I think that the account is broken because others don't have this login problem and don't see those "template" messages. I hope this get fixed soon, the deadline is approaching!

they did correct it after i sent them an email but that was for a previous book, not this one. i've sent an email out for Exotique 5 but no response yet. i'm sure they're having issues. if that's the case then they should extend the submissions deadline. every submission i've made has had problems in the past. not a fan of this FTP thing.

i've submitted maybe about 10 times with no results. i've made it up to typing in my password/log in but after that it says "Website Temporarily unavailable". and my images have'nt even appeared for me to confirm anyway.

khendar
06-09-2009, 03:00 AM
We are having some load issues on the submissions server, due to large number of submissions we've been receiving. We're working on it and hope to have the issue sorted out soon.

not a fan of this FTP thing.

If you can come up with a way of processing thousands of multi-megabyte print-resolution images efficiently without using FTP then we're all ears :)

Wildlifehoodoo
06-11-2009, 04:40 PM
Just wondered if the problem is any closer to being sorted? I submitted an image 2 days ago and it still not showing. Granted it is close to the deadline so I imagine there are LOADS of people submitting entries.

Cheers

EDINO
06-12-2009, 05:30 AM
Just wondered if the problem is any closer to being sorted? I submitted an image 2 days ago and it still not showing. Granted it is close to the deadline so I imagine there are LOADS of people submitting entries.

Cheers

i've been trying for the last 6 days. they must have alot of submissions. still can't see my image. hopefully they'll fix it before deadline.

PaulHellard
06-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Hey !!

Those talented artists from the EXPOSÉ 7 book have been busy taking photos of themselves with their prize. Seems like there's been a bit of weather about cos a lot of photos are indoors.

If you have received your book, go outside to a local landmark, take the shot with your EXPOSÉ 7 and a big smile.

Click on the image to go to the first sample of photos. You can also click on tabs to see the artwork from the book, and visit the artist's CGPortfolio! We'll be adding more each day or so.

http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/books/expose/expose_7/images/world/banner.jpg (http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/books/expose/expose_7/artists.php)

CGTalk Moderation
06-23-2009, 12:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.