PDA

View Full Version : techradar:Everything you need to know about DirectX 11

RobertoOrtiz
10-21-2008, 03:37 AM
DirectX 11 is on its way, but with the slow take up of DX10 in both the home and in the development houses what is it that we should be getting excited about with this new revision? Well, from the looks of things quite a lot, as we learned from Microsoft's Kevin Gee at the recent Nvision conference.

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/directx-11-475655

dantea
10-21-2008, 04:47 AM
While you will still need to have Vista as the minimum OS, the package is being released with the next iteration of Windows Windows 7 and so will be compatible across both platforms.

DX10 sunk because nobody upgraded to Vista. If they didn't upgrade to Vista (ie. Windows 6), then I don't see how people are gonna upgrade to Windows 7.

Bullit
10-21-2008, 03:12 PM
DX10 sunk because nobody upgraded to Vista. If they didn't upgrade to Vista (ie. Windows 6), then I don't see how people are gonna upgrade to Windows 7.

Why? i didn't upgraded to Vista because it wasn't an enough improvement ; in some areas was even going backwards in interface -we just have to see how much clicking just the change the date/hour...- If W7 is good enough and we aren't forced to go Vista to get W7 i would not have a prob. If they force Vista yeah then i will check every option before going Windows.

Concerning DX11 lets see after the hype and what it means in practice.

DestroyerU
10-21-2008, 07:06 PM
we just have to see how much clicking just the change the date/hour.

Let's see....one click. Have you ever used Vista? Didn't think so. Continue with your uninformed bashing...it's entertaining.

Bullit
10-22-2008, 02:53 AM
I used Vista 64 in a place i worked 1 week ago. To change the clock i right click it to change it, it opened another window where i had to click an underlined link again "change your date/hour" or something like that it said, then it opened a window where i was able to change the date/hour, in this case i just wanted to correct the minutes which i did.

ThE_JacO
10-22-2008, 03:04 AM
Tech radar publishing a hipey article by a MS representative telling us how great a MS product will be and how soon we'll get it, without showing anything for it.
How very novel :)
I definitely have higher expectations for win7 than I ever did for vista though. Hopefully they won't fumble this one.

Pthomas
10-22-2008, 03:16 AM
- Microsoft will be a significant and positive place-mark in human history.

- Vista 64 is nice on my Mac, although it can be convoluted and difficult for someone who is right brained.

- I have used Windows for almost twenty years, fifteen of that in digital arts.

- I don't care for the file finder in Mac, it is limited in it it's structure. Everything else is fluid and comfortable.

- Being a new Mac user, I have found my blood pressure drop significantly, My wife & children say I am much less stressed, and my weight has declined by twenty eight pounds.

simplicity

Sonk
10-22-2008, 06:11 AM
Let's see....one click. Have you ever used Vista? Didn't think so. Continue with your uninformed bashing...it's entertaining.

Maybe i'm using Vista 64-bit wrong? but it takes a few clicks to do that. However that's not really a big deal. Vista is IMO a better OS than XP, been using it for a couple of weeks now and love it!

DX11 is going to be sweet, especially the compute shader , subdivision surface. Plus you wont need to buy new hardware to run it.

ubermensch76
10-22-2008, 11:01 AM

wooh really ? how ?

R10k
10-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Vista is IMO a better OS than XP, been using it for a couple of weeks now and love it!

Ditto. It's not perfect, but it's a solid replacement for XP.

ubermensch76
10-22-2008, 05:04 PM
Yes, After moving onto Vista ultimate 64 SP1 I can say that it is a much better OS than XP
( if u discount the dang UAC bugger).

I dual boot between OSX and Vista on my mac pro and surprise to say I spend more time on Vista than OSX.

Magnus3D
10-22-2008, 05:22 PM
Sweet news that DX11 is "around the corner" in a few years now :) v10 was not that big of a hit.. being an avid flightsimmer i can give a good example from Microsoft's own Flight Simulator X and say the DX10 improved version was a major dissapointment. :( FSX runs both faster and better with DX9c on XP32/XP64.

Btw, i heard from a few Vista users on MacPro's that Vista runs faster emulated on that platform than it does on a real PC. Is this really true ?!

/ Magnus

DestroyerU
10-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Oops, I was off on the amount of clicks, turns out it is 3 or 4...my bad :)
Thought I could change it permanently from the side bar...
I'm not sure why you would have to change the date and time more than once or twice...but changing the time isn't really anybodies real concern, is it?

To get myself on topic:

I'm excited about Dx11....CUDA...real time...the advancement of 3d graphics. It will usually require upgrading equipment in some way. It's just the way it is. If people are happy with their current equipment and it works for them, just keep it and don't upgrade. Pretty simple.

ubermensch76
10-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Never tried Vista on a regular PC but yes the MAC pro is a rock solid machine with awesome power at very competitive rates.

But I am running it via bootcamp and not emulated. Mac pro is really a PC all thing said and done.

ysvry
10-23-2008, 03:10 AM
Btw, i heard from a few Vista users on MacPro's that Vista runs faster emulated on that platform than it does on a real PC. Is this really true ?!

/ Magnus

sure but only in a mac universe where hype is more valued then fact.
the more emulators you run windows through the faster it will run on a mac so try finding an amiga emulator to run on your mac and run the windows emulator in that amiga os. :P

as the other person said mac pro is just a pc with modified linux, mac as true os is long dead.

bisenberger
10-23-2008, 09:35 PM
never mind.........

CGTalk Moderation
10-23-2008, 09:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.