PDA

View Full Version : Walk Cycle Crit + Maya Help

Animatter
10-20-2008, 10:26 AM
Can I get a crit on this walk cycle please, be sure to scroll down to see all angles.

http://www.angelfire.com/mattjmit/bwalk.html

I also need to know how to make a better white room as I cant figure out how to get shadows on the floor and light bouncing off it. Also I haven't used maya in a while and I can't remember how to make settings so that light doesn't travel through objects. at the moment it goes right through the floor and that may be why I'm not getting shadows and reflective light.

Thanks!

KyleG
10-20-2008, 04:51 PM
On the walk the main thing I noticed is that he is off balance when his feet are passing (see image) his weight is distributed behind the planted foot, which would cause you to fall if you actually tried this. On the lights, what are you rendering in? Did you turn on shadows under the light's attributes?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/kyleGarrett/weight.png

Animatter
10-21-2008, 05:48 PM
Yeah it did occur to me that he was a little back on his COG. I was contemplating weather he wold be a llittle back due to momentum, like, obviously if he was still he would drop back but if moving forward his weight would move onto his leg, but the point is I didnt plan for this and I've let the computer bias my idea. So either way I'm wrong. I'll tweak it some more, any more ideas aside from this?

JamesLane
10-27-2008, 09:13 PM
This is looking pretty good. From what I can see just really minor detail tweaks. The big one being the COG as Kyle pointed out. moving that forward may even solve some of the knee popping that is happening. The legs are getting straight on the contact position which is correct, but I think they are either getting stretched too far or its because the COG is way back, but there are 2 frames where they are straight then then bend pretty drastically. Try to ease into that bend. The only other thing I can see is the hips rotating up as the leg bares the weight. It appears to me that the curve for this bend, as you have it, is relatively a smooth wave. From reference that Ive looked at for walks the hips are almost neutral then bend when it takes that weight as opposed to gradually bending from one extreme to another. Like they should be bent slightly then take on most of the rotation on the down. I hope that makes sense.

-James

Animatter
10-27-2008, 09:52 PM
thanks guys for taking the time to realy think about my animations and give me some helpful feedback!

I'll set some time aside to try to thoroughly understand and apply what youre saying here.

Thanks again,

Matt

CGTalk Moderation
10-27-2008, 09:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.