PDA

View Full Version : skin weight map

avinashnet24
10-20-2008, 07:15 AM
I m using Maya 8.5 and i want to export skin weight map as alpha and luminance but its not coming and i have already one skin weight map as alpha i m trying to import it and apply it on the character i m not getting that also. hope u understand my problem please help me

please tell me the procedure of about this problem

thanks

tonytouch
10-27-2008, 02:02 PM
hi avinashnet24,

usually i never export import skinweight-"maps" ( in the "maya-way" ) ... what i do ( and i guess , that'ńs what most people do ) :

export the weights and import them back again - by SCRIPT . ( using "cometSaveWeights.mel" from http://www.comet-cartoons.com/MELfiles/cometScripts.zip / is a "common-way" to handle import / export of skinweights - but there are quite some MEL-scripts out there , which do the same - i think the one from michael comet is a good choice ( for MEL ) )

there are also some API_plugins , which are "much faster" than the MEL-scripts ( especially the import-weights , can take quite a long time in MEL ) ... e.g. here is a plugin for maya2008 (http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/plugins/utility_external/export/skinWeightsIO-5074.html), but this one e.g. only does work in vertex-order , and can just be used , if the topology of your mesh remains the same ( if you dont change the vertex-count or dont modify your mesh )

if the topology changes , you can do a quick workaround ... to get the skinweights from one file to another

go to the bind pose of your character ...
bind the "new" mesh , to your "old" skeleton ...
copy skinweights from the "Old" mesh to the "new" one ...
then export the weights of the "new/topology changed" mesh ...
finally yuo can setup a complete new scene , and import the weights to your character

----
PS:
this complete process of skinweights is quite a bit tricky and usually needs some time to figure out and undstand , for a riggin-beginner ... usually most character TDs and Riggers , develope their own way to handle this procedure ... so kkep up skinning ;)

avinashnet24
10-30-2008, 09:01 AM
Thank you every one, thanks a lot for ur greate help, i got the solution but still there is some work left, as soon as possible i will get the complete solution, i will post here,

thanks again.

Buexe
10-30-2008, 10:01 PM
to get the import/export stuff going, make sure you have UVs that are non-overlapping and between 0 and 1. That`s the whole trick, works good if the topology of the character changes.

CGTalk Moderation
10-30-2008, 10:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.