PDA

View Full Version : Flour Sack Walkcycle.

xedus
10-19-2008, 06:03 AM
My second animation piece. Please critique it and tell me what more can I add to take it to the next level .

UPDATED : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhm4SrriVbU

dmca
10-19-2008, 11:07 AM
hello,
try add more pelvis translation in x direction(side-side), just to give more weight on the passing pose. nice follow t in the feet

xedus
10-19-2008, 06:09 PM
Thanks for reminding me ! I completely forgot about the side to side motion :banghead: . Did not put any keys it the axis at all. Got too caught up in the details :rolleyes: . I'll fix it in a jiffy.

Anything else of concern ?

Also, im kinda an animation noob here, and thanks for the compliment on the foot follow through, but what exactly IS follow through ? :) Thing is, I'm doing all this animation work straight from my head on intuition of what would look right and stuff and im still not aware of the definations of Follow thru, overlap and all that. So could someone please expand on those a bit. I'd be really grateful :) .

RushPunx
10-19-2008, 09:43 PM
Hey Xedus!

Walk cycle is looking good!

There is a book called "The Animators Survival Kit" and you should definitely get your hands on it. It's written by Richard Williams, who was trained by Ken Harris and some other classic animators. He breaks down all the principles of animation in a very 'artist-friendly' way. I think its the best book on animation principles available.

I think every animator has their own idea of how the principles are applied, so this may not jive with some folks. But follow through is the reaction of the action. Its how the weight is distributed as a result of the movement. Think a golfer hitting a golf ball. The anticipation is getting the club above his head. The action is swinging and hitting the ball. The follow through is the weight of the movement carrying the club back over his head.

Overlap is the offset of motion from the source of the movement outward. For example, cloth is always overlapping. Flags in the wind are overlapping. In 3d, you can get a good sense of it by offsetting the keys on your characters controllers from the spine up to the shoulders down to the wrists by one frame.

Keep in mind the characters intent when animating! Flour sack looks great!

xedus
10-20-2008, 04:47 AM
Hey.

Thanks for the compliments. More importantly thanks for the information. The golf example has really helped me get the concepts very clearly in my head.

Oh and 'The Animator's survival kit' is my bible. I've had the book for quite a while now but I started referring to it really seriously a while back. It's my main source of info' on good character animation. I probably have not reached the parts where he's explained indepth about these concepts or I might have overlooked them looking at the cool pictures of walkcycles and stuff :rolleyes:. I refer to it a lot though.

I've updated the original post with the fixed animation including the side-to-side motion. I'll also put it up here - > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhm4SrriVbU

RushPunx
10-20-2008, 06:53 AM
Glad I could help! Richard Williams is coming to my hometown in a few weeks to give a seminar on animation. I am so pumped.

I like the revisions on the sack!

I think you should think about how the weight of the character is being distributed after the passing position into the down position. It looks like he jars a bit when he makes contact, but take a look at the foot controllers Y axis on the graph editor. Is it a clean arc? You could sell the foot weight coming down if you play with that controller in the graph editor.

Bass player also? I know many many animators who play bass, myself included. I think it has something to do with rhythm and melody coming together in an instrument. :buttrock:

dmca
10-20-2008, 08:18 AM
have a look here
http://www.shaunfreeman.com/animating_tips/ just same reading info and
here
http://www.splinedoctors.blogspot.com/ nice web with same tutos from the pixar guys,,

xedus
10-20-2008, 02:57 PM
Dmca - Thanks for those links. Bookmarked, and going through them now.

Rushpunx - May the groove be with you :buttrock: :) .

I would imagine that animators would be more like Lead guitarists because they add life to a foundation laid by the other members .

modeller = drummer
texture & lighting= keys/sax/trumpet/rhythm guitarist etc.
rigger/Tech. = bassist
animator = lead guitarist....

I did not understand what you were getting at by the foot motion 'jarring' though. Is it like twitchin or something ??

RushPunx
10-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Haha! Lead guitarist, eh? I can jive with that.

So with the foot jarring, look at your self doing a cartoony walk cycle. If you pretend to have a lot of weight behind taking a step, the sudden stop in movement of the foot is going to travel up the leg, into the hip, and up the spine. So at that hitting point of the foot, if you want to sell more weight in the flour sack, think about how that pressure of the foot will affect the rest of the body.

CGTalk Moderation
10-20-2008, 06:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.