PDA

View Full Version : Solution for Shake 2.5 GUI corruption

Tibbar
10-19-2008, 02:36 AM
This is in reference to an older thread posted here, where Shake 2.5 (Win) would either suffer GUI corruption or have very slow viewer updates:
http://www.vfxtalk.com/forum/shake-gui-corruption-t3567.html?t=3567&highlight=corruption

My solution is more of a workaround, and it does not involve setting the NR_OPENGL_RENDER=1 environment variable. As mentioned earlier, this variable fixes corruption but causes sluggish render refreshes in the viewer if you zoom in on your work or use any procedural effect like a gradient or checkerboard pattern. But no more of that!

Run Shake 2.5 in a virtual machine!

I found that if you run Shake 2.5 in VMWare or Microsoft's Virtual PC, the VM's crappy graphics drivers are "old" enough to prevent the corruption. I tested a checkerboard pattern node, applied a blur filter, and got real-time feedback. Works like a charm.

Ironically, my only fear is that one day the graphics drivers in virtual machines will improve to a point where this no longer works, once again causing corruption unless you set NR_OPENGL_RENDER=1.

Running Shake in a VM can be taxing on your system resources and would probably be slow for rendering. So you could do your work in the VM, and then render outside in the host operating system, using all CPUs.

BTW, VirtualBox and VirtualPC are free VMs. VMWare Player is also free, but requires outside tools to make a virtual system.

Other thoughts

If someone cares enough to try, maybe there is a low-level video driver tweak that can force Shake to run without corruption in regular Windows XP/Vista. I spent a little time going through both nVidia and ATI tweak tools but couldn't find anything that worked.

Also, some people may be able to dial down the Hardware Acceleration slider in the Display -> Advanced -> Troubleshoot tab or by running dxdiag from the command line. In Vista, nVidia/ATI drivers lock me out of being able to control this setting, so I can't test it. Pooh.
http://www.deskshare.com/Resources/articles/dmc_turnoffhardwareacceleration.aspx

beaker
10-27-2008, 08:29 PM
with the proper drivers and the right settings which have been laid down 100 times on the forums Shake 2.5.1 still works just fine on countless machines at work and at home. I haven't had a machines out there that it hasn't worked on so I am always confused when people can't get it running right.

Tibbar
10-28-2008, 10:11 PM
Really, even on Windows Vista? What would these nVidia/ATI driver settings be? Every time I search, I come up with advice about setting NR_OPENGL_RENDER=1 followed by complaints that GUI corruption is fixed but is now dog-slow. On Vista.

If you could share what settings you use besides the NR_OPENGL_RENDER thing, then I wouldn't have to use virtualization.

CGTalk Moderation
10-28-2008, 10:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.